- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Lolz, it's been a while ^^;

Chapter 9: Odd bunch
Nick drank the scene in. It looked exactly the same, well, he hadn’t been paying much attention when he first visited the shop, but it didn’t look extraordinarily different or anything. So yeah.

He looked to his right, seeing the counter, and a young woman sitting behind it, reading a book. At least, it looked like a book.. It had a drawing of a semi-naked guy on the cover.. Which kind of resembled Nick, he thought. Freaky. But it was the girl! He grinned, “Hah! I found you!”

Rose jumped up at the sound of his voice and almost dropped her book. “Geez!” She said, holding a hand against her chest. “Do I know you?” She said, raising her eyebrow.

“Oh my god, you look exactly the same!” Nick exclaimed excitedly. It was like meeting a good friend whom he hadn’t seen in a while.

“Seriously… who are you.”

“It’s me, Nick!” He said, finding it slightly hard to believe that she had forgotten him.

“Nick…? The guy I converted?!” She said, perking up. “Holy crap, you’ve definitely changed!” She laughed.

“Are you laughing at me?” Nick asked incredulously.

“It’s just, you look different.” She smiled, “Sorry, didn’t mean to offend you or anything.”

“That so doesn’t sound apologetic.” Nick said, sticking out his bottom lip.

“Are you pouting?” She laughed again. “You are hilarious.”

“How kind of you.” Nick said, rolling his eyes, though he managed a smile. His ego was slightly bruised. Someone who did not remember him! Humph! “Why are you still working here? After seven years, you’d expect someone to be promoted or something.”

“I love this shop. Besides, I became the co-owner 2 years back.”

Nick’s eyes widened. “How did that happen?” Did she buy the shop or something? It sounded implausible that she earned the money while working in the bookshop and eventually decided to buy half of it.

“I got married, and we decided that being co-owners wasn’t a bad idea.” Rose shrugged.

“Wait, you got married? And you never told me, you bitch!” Nick shouted. “Oops, sorry got carried away, so tell me, how old are you anyway.”

“Turned 23 this June.” Rose answered.

“You got married at 21? That’s so young.” Nick said. “I’m 27 right now, and am not planning on settling down anytime soon.”

“I’ve found the guy I couldn’t live without, so why wait?” She shrugged. “We’re happy, and that’s what counts.”

“Weren’t you dating this weird guy who was supposed to provide me information and then forgot about it?” Nick questioned.

“Yeah, he’s not my boyfriend anymore.. He’s my husband now.”

“God, you married the freak.”

“Hey, he’s not a freak. Stop that,” She laughed. “So, what brings you here?”

“Just visiting a good friend.” Nick said, “Haven’t seen you in a while. Are you anxiously waiting for the last Potter book?”

“I sure am.” She said ecstatically. “I’m so going to dress up as James Potter this time ‘round.”

Nick laughed, “Why James, Harry is the main protagonist. And, you‘re a girl.” Nick pointed out the obvious.

“I like James better,” She whispered.

“Harry totally owns!”

“Duh, it’s because he’s a blend of James and Lily…” Rose trailed off. She put her book down.

“Is that a comic book?” Nick said, pointing to the small book with the half-naked guy on the cover. He craned his neck to read the title. “Absolute Boyfriend.”

“Oh this?” Rose picked up the book that she was reading. “It’s a manga. A Japanese comic book. It’s hilarious.” She flipped the book open to show Nick. “You read it from right to left, it takes some getting use to, but it’s quite easy. Very entertaining.”

“But the guy is practically naked.” Nick said, slightly perturbed.

“He’s a sweetheart.” She insisted. “If I wasn’t married, I would’ve want a Night for myself.”
_

The door to the shop opened slightly, and the head of a Backstreet Boy poked through. It belonged to Brian Littrell.

“Why aren’t you going in, Brian?” Howie asked, sticking his head in the opening too.

“Shh, I found Nick. They’re talking.”

“Really, blondie’s in there?” AJ commented, also poking his head through.

“Ouch, Jay!” Howie complained. “You’re leaning on my head!”

“Sorry,” AJ apologised, lifting his elbow, positioning himself better.

_

“You can have my copy,” She said, handing it to him. “Take it, it’s really good. You’ll want to be the second volume immediately.”

“Thanks!” Nick said. “The guy on the cover isn’t exactly ugly.. He does bear some resemblance to me, doesn’t he?”

Rose burst out laughing, “Not really.”

“You should really stop insulting me.”

“Oh my god,” Rose suddenly mumbled.

“What?” Nick asked, slightly worried.

“There are a bunch of weird men sticking their head through the door opening. Don’t turn around!” She hissed. “I’ll call Christopher, he’s in the back.” She reached out for the phone.

Nick glanced backwards, recognizing his friends immediately. “Wait! Those are my friends!”

Rose looked at him incredulously. “What are they doing over there?”

“Spying on me, should’ve figured.” He rolled his eyes. “Do something.” He whispered.

“Excuse me?”

“Just think of something, and yell at me. It’ll be fun.”

“Alright,” She shrugged. “You bastard!” Her hand connected with his cheek.

“Ouch, woman!” Nick rubbed his cheek. He wasn‘t prepared for a smack.

__

“Step away from the girl Nick!” AJ called out, running inside. “I’m sorry ma’am, we should have had him committed or something.”

“What?” Nick turned round in surprise. What was AJ talking about?

“We apologize for whatever he’s done.” Howie said solemnly. “Let’s go Nicky,” He said taking Nick by the arm.

“I didn’t do anything wrong!” Nick sputtered.

“We all saw it.” Brian said.

“You saw her slapping me, you didn’t hear me asking her to do something!” Nick shouted. “It was a joke.”

“So you’re his friends?” Rose piped up.

“We’re Howie, Brian and AJ.” Howie introduced himself and his friend. “And I see that you’ve met Nicky.”

“Yup, we met way back.”

Realisation dawned on AJ, “Damn, so you got him hooked on reading?”

“Not me necessarily. It’s the books themselves, I just introduced them to him.” Rose shrugged. “They’re very good, otherwise they hadn’t been selling so good the past years.” Rose gestured to the stack of Potter books. “Look at them, aren’t they alluring?”

The three Backstreet Boys stared at the spine of the six books. “They do look rather interesting,” Brian said clearing his throat. Would Bailey like them?

“Bunch of kids’ books.” AJ dismissed them.

Rose shook her head, “Magic is for everyone. Rowling created a wonderful world, a whole new realm. With creatures of all kinds. She has also written two companion books called ‘Fantastic Beasts and where to find them’ plus ‘Quidditch through the ages’. They hold a lot of information.”

“Oh, now that actually sounds good.” AJ coughed, “I mean, huh. Not bad.”

Rose’s smile widened. One more to go. “I’ll throw one soundtrack in for each of you.”

“Sold!” Howie said immediately.

Rose smiled triumphantly. “Awesome! So, you guys want all six?”

“Start ringing them up!” AJ said.

__________________________________________________________

“You guys.” Nick said in mock-emotion. “This is great! You just wait ‘till the 21st of July.. We’ll go to a bookstore at midnight, dressed as a Potter character and read book 7!”

The Backstreet Boys were now in America. A week has passed since their visit to London. Brian was currently reading the books to Bailey before bed. Howie had almost finished book 2 and AJ managed to read up to book 4 already.

“Who will you dress up like?” Brian asked Nick.

“Hmm.. Interesting. Haven’t really thought about that.” Nick said, weighing his options. “I could go as Malfoy.. Since I am blond. What’cha think?”

“Erm.. I don’t know. You’re a bit too old to pass for Malfoy.” Brian cracked up.

“Who cares! Two-year-olds dress up as Harry, a twenty-seven-year-old should have the right to dress up as Draco.” Nick concluded.

“What about Peter Pettigrew?” AJ snickered. “You’ve seen movie three right? You do bear some resemblance.”

Howie laughed.

Nick looked at his band mates insulted. “I do NOT look like that traitor!”

“Chill Nick.” AJ said, still smiling. “You could go as a Dementor or something.” he suggested.

“I dunno, I wanted to be someone good.” Nick pouted.

“Well, I’m going as Arthur Weasley,” Brian said. “‘What is the use of a rubber duck’.” he quoted.

Howie cracked up. “I’m going to be Viktor Krum!” he set his face and grumbled, “I am the Bulgarian bonbon.”

“You’re being silly Howie.” AJ smiled. “I’ll be Dumbledore! I’ve bought a beard and all.”

“You don’t look like a Dumbledore.” Nick frowned.

“Says who.” AJ remarked. “I’ll be a great Dumbledore!”

“Then I’ll go as Malfoy.” Nick decided. “We’ll be an odd bunch.”

________

 To be continued...