- Text Size +
Twenty minutes, and two traffic lights later, I skidded to a halt in the back room of Hot Topic in our local mall. The manager, a young man named Sam, looked at me skeptically as I clocked in, five minutes late. “I know, I know, I’m late. My real dad decided to leave my little brother with us too. I didn’t even know I had one.” I said, brushing my hair out my face, and into a ponytail. “It’s okay, but one more time this week, and I have to dock your pay.” “Thank you Sam you’re a life saver.” I said, hugging him briefly before heading out into the store to help Madeline ring up customers. She looked up skeptically as I walked behind the counter. I glanced at what she was doing, and laughed. She was texting her boyfriend of one month, Greg Raposo. Madeline brushed a piece of her shoulder-length curly blond hair out of her face and back into her clip that held her half pony back, revealing her face, and her baby blue eyes. I smiled gently at her, and looked up to look around the store. “Business is dead.” I moaned, sitting on one of the stools we had perched behind the counter. “I know,” Madeline complained, slapping her phone shut, “It’s been like this since I got here.” “Maybe you scared off all the customers.” I joked, smiling at her so she knew I was kidding. “Hardy har har.” She said, punching me lightly in the shoulder. I smiled, and looked over Madeline, glad Greg had chosen her. She had a slim figure, and was very pretty. Her ears were pierced three times in each lobe, and one time in the upper cartilage. Her piercing blue gaze was outlined by brown eyeliner, and she had a touch of clear lip gloss on. To most guys, she was a goddess. Even if she was punk, every guy at school had a huge crush on her, and they were jealous that Greg got her. I was startled out of my thoughts when I saw the cutest boy walk into the store. He had black hair that was kind of short, it had gel, I could tell from here, and was wearing a orange and gray long-sleeve shirt, a black Led Zeppelin t-shirt, baggy jeans, and black Vans. I smiled as he walked up, leaning on the counter. “Hi how can I help you?” Madeline asked, looking up at the kid. “Yeah, where are your guitar straps at?” The kid asked, and Madeline looked at him like he had three heads. “What.” “Back here.” I said, walking out from behind the counter, and motioning for him to follow me. He followed me to the rack of guitar straps, and said, “Thank you.” “You’re welcome.” “You know you’re very pretty.” He said, smiling down at me. I blushed, and heard Maddy go “aww” in the background. “Shut Up Madeline Trousdale.” I hollered, and then looked back up at the boy in front of me. “Chris Stasio.” “Jasmine Brooks.” I said, shaking the hand that he stuck out. He smiled at me, and I looked away, afraid he’d seen me blush. “Wanna hangout sometime?” He asked, bringing me back to reality. “Sure.” I said, brushing a piece of hair off my face. “Here’s my number.” He said, handing me a slip of paper. I smiled, and nodded, sliding the paper into one of the deep pockets of my pants. He walked up to the register, and Madeline rang him up, smiling all the time. After Chris left, I walked back up to the register. “He was totally hitting on you.” Madeline said, smiling up at me. “I know Maddy, but I’m with Jeremy.” I muttered, glancing down as Greg walked in the store. “Hey Greg.” Maddy and I chorused as Greg walked behind the counter, hugging Madeline hello. I rolled my eyes, and turned back around to see Jeremy nervously poking his head inside the store. “Hey baby.” I called, hoping to boost his mood. “Hey you.” He said, walking in, and over to the counter. “Can we talk?” he said, reaching for my hand. I nodded, and we walked out front of the store, holding hands. “What’s up baby?” I said, leaning against the storefront. Jeremy’s friends were all hanging out at the benches a few feet away, and there was a new girl with them. Not thinking anything of it, I looked up at Jeremy. “Baby, I think we need to see other people.” Jeremy said, smiling at me. “Why Jeremy? No wait, forget it. You wanna see how our relationship has affected me? Take a good look at me. I done cried from all the lies. I could see us breaking up if your feelings had changed, but damn Jeremy, you just slammed the door. How can you turn on me?” “Baby, I think it’s for the best.” Jeremy said, smiling slightly at me. “NO, Jeremy, it’s what best for you. I thought you said that you loved me. Thought you said that you need me. I thought you said you complete me. Thought you said you were never gonna let it go. I thought you said when you held me it felt right. I thought you said when you would tell me, it felt good. I thought you said that no one could replace me. I thought you said you were never gonna let it go.” “Hunny, I know this is what’s best for you; I need you to see other guys so you can see how much I love you.” “No, you no what, lesson learned. Our house of love can burn. We’re close to the heat. You can bet you’re words don’t mean nothing to me no more.” I said, turning around, and stalking inside the store. Madeline looked up from her make out session with Greg as I sat down on the stool, pulling out my cell phone. “Everything with Jeremy okay?” I shook my head, and pressed speed dial, dialing the house phone. “Hello.” “Andy, get Pete.” I said, giving in to the depression. “Jasmine.” Pete’s voice came over the line, and I broke down. “He broke it off.” I said, wiping my eyes hastily as a customer walked in. “HE WHAT.” Pete yelled so I had to pull the phone away from my ear. “He gave me a line of bullshit Petey.” I said, pausing to ring up the customer. “Okay, calm down, we’re on our way.” “Okay, you can hang out here for two more hours, then you can drive me home.” We hung up, and soon Pete and Andy were there.