- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Um...yeah...is there anyone still out there? So after a five month long dry spell, I have managed to not only crank out another chapter, but I also managed to map out an outline of the rest of the story on paper. I figure from here on out that it should be smooth sailing. Anyway, after so long, I hope y'all enjoy the update and let me know what y'all think! And a special shout out to Tri for making me the new ITNC banner. YOU ROCK!!!

 

Chapter 21:

Jolting with a start, Brian felt himself being tugged from a sleep induced bliss and his entire body shook with a disturbing tremor. His eyes snapped open and he blinked rapidly for a moment, struggling to get his eyes to become acclimated to the blinding light that was washing over the room. It wasn't until a tiny pair of hands cupped his cheeks that his son's cherubic face finally came into focus and Brian allowed a clouded smile to curl his lips. "Bayster," he whispered, reaching up to ruffle his son's soft curls.

"Daddy..." Baylee started with a mischievious grin as he sank himself onto Brian's abdomen. He patted at his father's chest playfully with a small giggle. "It's time for you to wake up!"

Brian cocked an eyebrow towards his son, stifling a yawn of exhaustion that was still fogging his mind. There was no denying the twinkle of excitement in the corners of Baylee's eyes and Brian remembered it was an excitement that was well merited. He would have expected nothing less then Baylee's expressive show of energy that morning, especially since the child had been so restless with anticipation when going to bed the night before. "I suppose I am awake now," he answered with a chuckle. Purposely yawning even louder, Brian carefully pushed Baylee from his body and pulled the blankets over his head. He waited briefly, if only for a second, before the small boy whipped the heavy down comforter away from Brian's face with a devilish pout. Brian matched the expression without hesitation. "What?" he whined teasingly. "Can't Daddy sleep more?"

"No! Gots to get up now Daddy!" Baylee growled defiantly as he scrambled to his knees and tore the remainder of the blankets completely away from his father's body. "Up now!"

Brian writhed against the cold draft in the room with an exagerrated whimper. "But I'm tired!"

"No more sleep Daddy! I said time to get up!" Baylee demanded, placing his hands authoratively upon his hips and attempting a steady glare. Though he was unaware of his father's hands creeping up for a surprise attack of the tickles. Squealing madly as he tried to squirm away from the wiggling fingers, he toppled onto his side, laughing harder. "Daddy-"

Brian grunted as he struggled into a pained seated position and continued to deliver the attack. "Who made you boss? Huh?"

"M-Mommy d-did!" Baylee stuttered with a gasp for air. "Her said I boss 'cause it's my special day!"

Brian paused with a dramatic expression of shock and feigned confusion. With wide eyes he pulled Baylee back upon his lap and held the child in place with sturdy hands. "Your special day?" he repeated.

"Daddy, you's killing me!" Baylee giggled with an exasperated sigh.

Brian grinned. "Never. I could never do that to my birthday boy. Not in a million years."

"'Cause it's my birthday!" Baylee nodded in agreement. "I's five today Daddy!"

Smiling, Brian watched as Baylee scampered off the bed and his feet hit the padding of the soft carpeted flooring. It amazed him to even begin to contemplate how quickly time had passed. His son was growing up faster then he would have ever thought to of been possible. True to Baylee's words, five years ago to that day they had been awaiting the newest addition to their family and he had nervously been anticipating the idea of becoming a father for the first time. Although nowhere near being sadly disappointed, Brian knew he would never want to change his son's existence for anything. As it was it had become impossible to imagine his life without Baylee in it, despite the minimal amounts of terror the child often caused. And now it was only a matter of time before he would be welcoming his second child into the world. The thought sent a wave of warmth surging through his system and he swung his legs over the side of the bed, stretching to release the aches from his joints as he ran a hand through his dissarrayed locks of hair.

Looking up, Brian noticed that Baylee had paused near the doorway and was staring tentatively back in his direction, waiting for a silent follow. Brian frowned at his son's sudden withdrawn nature and he held out a hand to beckon him back over. "C'mere for a second Bay..." he trailed softly and opened his arms. Bringing the child onto his lap, Brian wrapped him in a strong embrace and sat there, thinking. "You know Daddy loves you right?" he murmured as he held Baylee close against his chest.

"Love you lots too," Baylee spoke just above a whisper. He twisted slightly and snaked his arms around his father's waist. Craining his neck, he glanced upwards with a small pout. "No more sad Daddy?"

Brian bit upon his bottom lip in awe before placing a kiss atop Baylee's head and forcing a smile. "No...no more sad because it's your special day."

"Gonna have a party?" Baylee questioned impishly.

Sitting back, Brian ruffled his son's hair. "Only the best party ever," he answered seriously. "And I tell you what. We'll make a deal. Since you are the boss today, we will do whatever you want."

"...You play with me and...and go swimming with me too?" Baylee requested hopefully.

Brian nodded. "Deal. If that is what you want to do, then we will do it because you are the boss for the day."

Baylee's eyebrows furled in thought for a moment and Brian was almost sure he recognized the expression of disbelief in his son's eyes that the child had become accustom to, but as quickly as it had appeared it was gone and the innocent sparkle was back. "Pwomise?" he questioned meekly.

"Promise," Brian answered truthfully as an underlying guilt swept into his conscious. There was no mistakening the uncertainty within his son and Brian hated the fact that it was even there to begin with, all because of circumstances he had no control over or the fact that those circumstances grew more unstable as the time passed. Brian grunted and rose to his feet before lowering Baylee to the floor. "Should we go downstairs now?"

"Uh huh! Mommy makin' choco chip pancakes and there's a surprise for you too!" Baylee insisted.

"A surprise for me? Is it my birthday too?"

"No silly daddy. Just my birthday."

"What's my surprise?"

"Can't tell ya."

"Why not?"

"'Cause it's a surprise! Duh! C'mon Daddy, lets go!"

"Lead the way little man," Brian sighed with a chuckled, allowing Baylee to grasp hold of his hand and together they left the room. Sweet aromas were a pleasant greeting as they traveled the length of the upstairs hallway and even with each step they descended down the stair case, the scent became more comforting and his stomach growled with the indication of a growing appetite. Although, the moment they hit the landing at the bottom, Brian came to a sudden halt, his brows scrunching as the echoing of a male's voice resounded from within the depths of the kitchen.

Baylee turned, clearly displeased at the interruption of their travels. "C'mon Daddy!" he stressed.

"Who's in the kitchen with Mommy?" Brian questioned as Baylee continued to tug him forward once again. "Baylee-"

"Ah, he finally decides to grace us with his presence."

"Harry?" Brian choked out. He stumbled back a step in surprise as his older brother rose from a bar stool across the threshhold of the kitchen. Blinking stupidly for a moment, he watched as Harry moved towards him swiftly and he found himself without the chance to react before he was brought in for a tight embrace. "Wha-"

"It's about time you got out of bed. What a great dad you are. Sleeping the day away on your son's birthday. He's only going to turn five once you know," Harry chided lightly, delivering a sharp slap to Brian's back. He pulled away with a toothy grin and was met with his brother's flustered stare. "Geez little brother...let me get a good look at you. If I didn't know any better, with as much weight as you've lost, I'd say Leigh's been starvin' you."

"I resent that, thank you very much," Leighanne scowled from near the stove.

"Just kidding?" Harry replied impishly, glancing back towards his sister-in-law.

"Harry, I don't understand..." Brian started, glancing downward to notice Baylee tugging upon his uncle's pants for attention. "I mean, what are you doing here? I had no idea-"

"Can't the world's best uncle surprise his favorite nephew on his birthday?" Harry shrugged with a small laugh and bent to launch the impatient child into his arms. "Besides little brother, it's been a while. My schedule freed up for a few days and I figured it was about time I dropped in for a visit."

Brian stared back with a show of skepticism. "You never just drop in for a visit-"

"What better time then to start now," Harry chortled. "Right kid?"

"Right," Baylee echoed with a determined nod.

"I was just as surprised as you are," Leighanne whispered into her husband's ear as she approached him from the side to offer him a kiss of greeting.

"Surprised doesn't even begin to describe it," Brian muttered, but he grinned all the same. He stood in place for a solitary moment, watching as Harry bounced in return to the bar stool with Baylee perched carefully upon his shoulder. He hadn't seen Harry in nearly six months and too all of a sudden be subjected to a visit that hadn't been warned of was far out of the ordinary. Though Brian knew it wasn't either the time nor the place to even begin questioned the matter. Baylee appeared perfectly pleased to have his uncle there to celebrate and that was all that concerned Brian. Shaking his head at the pair before him, he followed suit and took a seat next to his brother on the second bar stool. "When exactly did you get here?"

"Before you were awake obviously," Harry snorted, but Leighanne's less then amused expression quieted him quickly. He cleared his throat before holding up his coffee in apology with a charming smile. "More coffee please?"

"Only if you'll place my child safely upon that stool next to you before you drop him on his head," Leighanne chided and grasped the handle of the nearby coffee pot. She slowly stepped over, her other hand resting tenderly on her protruding stomach with a small grimace of discomfort. "Your brother showed up on our front door step at ten to seven this morning."

"My first flight got cancelled but it all worked out because I managed to catch an earlier flight," Harry added indifferently.

"Uncle Harry came for my party Daddy," Baylee noted as he delightfully received the plate of steaming pancakes his mother had prepared for him. "And brought me lots of presents too!"

Brian glanced wearily to his brother and almost had to fight a groan towards the thought of how many presents his son had already managed to accumulate. It was more then the child would even be able to comprehend. But to expect Harry to provide any less was no different. "Trying to out do me?"

"Isn't that what I'm here for?"

"To make my life miserable is more like it."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Aren't you the funny one?"

Ignoring his sarcasm, Brian rose from the stool and sauntered over to the kitchen sink. He reached for the array of medication bottles bearing his name and fanned out a colorful collection before preparing a glass of cool water from the faucet. He stared in disgust at the counter, memorizing each color, each shape, and despising the fact that he had to shovel them down his throat. It was a necessity his doctor constantly told him, reminded him as if he could ever forget. Brian wished with everything in him that he could do just that...forget. Without another though, he swiped up the pills in one motion and funneled them into his mouth. When he turned around, he found Harry in midbit and watching him with question. "What?" Brian asked uncomfortably.

"That was quite the assortment," Harry noted oddly.

Brian frowned. "It's not as bad as it looks," he shrugged, although he could tell his brother wasn't in the least bit buying his simple answer. There was an unconvinced glimmer in Harry's dark eyes that unnerved every sense in Brian's body, but as Harry fell silent once more, Brian took that as his chance to allow the distasteful subject to remain at rest and hopefully the bitter flavor to subside from his mouth. "I'm going to take a shower," he muttered into idle air.

Baylee spun where he sat, allowing his fork to clatter to his plate. "Choco chip pancakes Daddy," he began to insist with a slight tremble of disappointment.

Brian offered his son an apologetic smile as he moved towards him. "I'm sorry buddy but I'm just not hungry right now. You save me some though and after I'm done with my shower, we'll go pick up your birthday cake with Uncle harry. How does that sound?"

"And the balloons?"

"As many as you want."

"Uncle Harry?" Baylee asked hopefully.

"Sure thing kiddo," Harry answered absentmindedly as he watched his brother's form retreat from the kitchen. He finally turned back to the child, forcing a tight lipped smile. "Eat the rest of your pancakes."

*****

"You're missing out on the party."

Brian visibly jumped from where he stood, but straining his gaze into the full length mirror to see AJ had appeared in the open doorway, he quickly returned to undoing the buttons of his shirt to recover from the initial shock of the disturbance. "I thought I said I would be down shortly?" he shrugged as he slid the short sleeve garment from his body.

"Well yeah, but that's been a while and we were trying to decide if your absence merited a search party being sent out," AJ explained with a tight smirk as he stepped into the expansive master bedroom.

"And let me guess...you got volunteered?" Brian questioned, watching him out of the corner of his eye.

"Quite the contrary actually," AJ stated. "I volunteered myself."

"The gesture is appreciated, but I think I can manage just fine by myself for a short period of time," Brian replied indifferently. He inhaled sharply before pulling the white wife beater over his head and stared long and hard at his reflection. He could sense AJ's instense stare almost immediately and it sent a powerful surge of nerves racing along his spine. Pausing for a moment, Brian found his eyes traveling down to the spot on his chest that he knew without a doubt had caused AJ's new fall into silence and he reached up to run his fingers over the electrode patches.

"They trying to turn you into RoboBrian or something?" AJ attempted to laugh, but it was only obvious that the joke had been made in bad taste and had fallen on deaf ears when Brian's mouth curled downward into a frown and he failed to say a word. Looking in every direction but at his friend, AJ scratched uncomfortably at his right temple. "I'm sorry B...I shouldn't have said that..."

Brian's eyebrows folded inward as he teared hastily at the patches and unclipped the tiny device from the waist band of his board shorts. "Don't worry about it," he mumbled and strode over to the night stand to discard the item before tugging the wife beater back upon his chest.

"Brian, wait," AJ called out suddenly. He jumped up from the seat he had taken on the edge of the bed and hurried to block the doorway to prevent his friend from succeeding in a desperate exit. Brian paused just feet short and watched with uncertainty, expecting AJ's grim expression to produce a lecture he wouldn't understand, but AJ's features softened immediately. For nearly a minute they stood there in silence as the air grew noticeably more dense until finally AJ broke his stance with a heavy sigh. "Could you stop this charade for even a moment?"

Brian's eye's narrowed briefly before he shook his head softly and looked away. "I really don't have time for this right now. Baylee's waiting for me-"

"No, you're going to hear me out and stop running like you have been. I'm not going to accept the rediculous excuses anymore," AJ interrupted firmly. His body tensed as Brian appeared ready to plow right through him, but the shorter man remained firmly rooted where he stood. "C'mon B, stop doing this. I know you're mad at me for what happened a couple of weeks ago because you've hardly talked to me since and I'm really starting to get the feeling that you don't even want to be in the same room as me. But this, everything, just stop doing this. Stop doing this to yourself."

"I'm doing the best I can," Brian seethed. "I don't know what you are expecting of me, but you can save your 'I can change my world' speech because you are wasting your time and my time. I can only do so much-"

"Just listen to yourself damnit. It's like you've lost all sense of logical thinking."

"I've been thinking more logically then I have in a long time. Maybe it's you who has lost the ability to think logically AJ. You think this is easy for me to have to wake up everyday and constantly have to think about what is happening to me or the fact that I have absolutely no control over it? And then on top of that I'm expected to just go on living as if nothing is wrong. I'm scared, alright? Is that what you want me to admit to? Because I don't know how many times I've already said that and it certainly doesn't make me feel the least bit better saying it again."

AJ opened his mouth to argue, but he couldn't get the words to project. The defiance in Brian's tone was absolutely sickening, and yet he could see right past it. He wasn't by any means easily fooled and could see the vulnerable man breaking on the inside, despite the tremors of rage that looked to of taken control of his friend's every move. Although there seemed not to be an ounce of reasoning that was capable of breaking through Brian's rough exterior and it was beyond frustrating because AJ couldn't do a thing about it. Brian was too damn stubborn for his own good. "You're losing yourself."

Brian's face fell in disagreement. "I'm losing more then that."

"Brian-"

"Please, for once, respect me enough to just leave it alone. That's all I'm asking," Brian answered and his voice was considerably lower then what was characteristically normal for his demeanor. Rubbing at his temples, he drew in a steady even breath and met AJ's eyes once more. "I've got an impatient five year old that is waiting downstairs and counting on his daddy to keep his promise. So if you'll excuse me..."

"Baylee's not the only one who is counting on you," AJ tried, relenting against the door frame as Brian brushed past him.

"Maybe that's the problem?" Brian returned lightly with raised brows.

"Can you blame me for wanting the old Brian back-"

"I'm sorry J, but I'm afraid the old Brian isn't coming back," Brian whispered and quickly spun on his heels to gain as much ground away from his dumbfounded friend as would allow his security to comfortably return. He was barely halfway from the doorway before he heard his friend's frustrated curse echo through the thick silence and although he winced with regret, he swiftly traveled the remainder of the hallway and descended the staircase without further thought. A cold chill greeted him at the bottom and it brought forth an eerie loneliness that he knew noone else was responsible for creating but himself. AJ just didn't understand. He was so sure he could change the world with a few simple words, but Brian knew how horribly mistaken his friend was. There was no changing reality with a speech. There was no changing reality period and Brian was trying to learn to accept that. It didn't help that those he needed support from the most seemed to want to blind side him at every turn.

Preparing himself for the excitement that was surely unfolding outside, Brian crossed the threshhold of the livingroom in a matter of seconds. It had been decided that Baylee would receive nothing short of a grand celebration for his fifth birthday, suitable to any child's imagination. Leighanne had managed to invite nearly half of their exquisite neighborhood's children to serve as playmates despite her claims that Brian was exaggerating that fact. It was unphase-worthy though; they only wanted Baylee to be happy and Brian would see to it that his son enjoyed every second of it. And maybe, just maybe, he would be able to find it in himself to enjoy it too.

As he drew near to the back door, there was no denying the surging of children's laughter within a mixture of blaring Disney songs that tore into the outer boundaries of his concentration. He focused steadily on the steps he took and moved out into the comfortable outdoor air, welcoming the glare of the sun that washed over him immediately with an inviting warmth. Brian found the scene overpowering, teetering on a near brink of overwhelming activity. Quickly side stepping as a small group of kids chased past him, he strained his sight over all that had gathered in search of his family and was relieved when he noticed Leighanne hurrying in his direction. He pulled her into his arms for a quick embrace. "Sorry I took so long."

"Did AJ find you?" Leighanne questioned, pulling back.

Brian forced a tight smile. "Yeah," he nodded lightly. "He's using the bathroom. Said he would be out shortly."

"Well it's about time you decided to get out here," Leighanne chided. "I think I may need your help keeping control."

Brian smirked as he followed his wife towards the patio table that was lined with an assortment of colorfully wrapped gifts brought as an offering to their eldest child. "Beginning to rethink the number of people you invited?"

"Hardly," Leighanne answered sharply. She glanced back over her shoulder at the pool when a squeal of surprise sliced through the air and tried to catch a glimpse of their child when Brian pulled her attention back to him. She narrowed her eyes at her husband with her own smirk. "In comparison to your bandmates, especially with your brother thrown into the equation, I can safely say that the kids here are rather tame. They're not the trouble."

Brian chuckled and fumbled with one of the packages. "Why am I not surprised to find that it's the adults causing the terror?"

"Because growing up seems to be a concept the six of you aren't able to comprehend."

"Wait, the six of us? How am I all of a sudden a part of the problem?"

"Don't play the innocent card on me. Given the chance, you're just as much trouble as they are."

"It's not my fault they give me a bad reputation."

"You mean to tell me your pranking days have been retired?"

"I wouldn't go so far as to say that-"

"My point exactly."

"Daddy!"

Brian turned with not a second to spare as Baylee barrled into him with a giggle of delight and threw his arms around his father's waist. The child's hair was matted to his forehead and Brian could feel the excess water dripping from his son's body immediately begin to saturate the material of his shorts, but he dropped to the boy's level nonetheless and played into the energy for Baylee's benefit. "There's my birthday boy," he returned with a grin. "I was looking all over for you."

"Really?" Baylee asked with a glimmer of hope.

"Of course I was," Brian answered with a determined nod. He watched as Baylee's eyes widened and he began to bounce on his feet in anticipation. "After all, we did make a deal this morning, didn't we?"

"You said you would go swimming," Baylee reminded.

"Swimming is exactly what I want to do."

Baylee reached out and began to impatiently tug on his father's hand, attempting to pull him forward in a sloppy manner. "C'mon Daddy! Need your help 'cause Uncle Nicky causin' a big war in the pool! He cheatin' and he gots a big butt!"

"Baylee!" Leighanne scolded.

Baylee's bottom lip puckered outward. "But Mommy, that's what Uncle Harry said!" he whined.

Leighanne glanced to her husband and wasn't amused to find him on the verge of laughter. Her eyes narrowed with impatience and irritated hands made their way to her hips. "Just wonderful. Your brother is trying to teach our son his idea of perfect manners."

"Aw, lighten up Mommy," Brian teased with a lighthearted smile as he rose to his feet. "Uncle Harry is just upset because he has a bigger butt then Nick does."

"Brian Thomas!" Leighanne groaned. "You are not helping!"

"Gotta go!" Brian chortled and hurried after Baylee as the five year old took off in a quick sprint to reach the pool. He immediately noticed the commotion in the water when he watched Harry perform a perfect cannonball that sent Nick slipping beneath the rippling surface and he couldn't help but laugh. He was far from displeased with how the festivities were already playing out and it seemed Baylee couldn't have been happier. Stepping carefully to the edge of the pool, Brian shook his head as Nick came up sputtering for air. "You're pathetic!"

"Who you calling pathetic?" Nick argued.

Baylee whipped out from behind his father and sent a jetting stream of cold water into Nick's unsuspecting face with one of the water guns Harry had brought as a birthday gift. "My daddy said you're pathetic and my daddy is the smartest daddy ever!" he beamed proudly.

Nick's mouth gaped in shock. "Says who?!" he challenged but his only answer was another face full. He glared up at his bemused friend. "Shit Brian! Can't you control your kid?!"

"Don't diss him," Brian answered simply.

"Diss this," Nick growled and swiftly reached to latch his hand around Brian's left ankle. He gave a sharp pull and scrambled backwards as the older man tumbled head first into the water with a strangled cry of distress. Grinning, Nick glanced to see Baylee's amazed expression. "You're next-"

Brian burst from beneath the surface and brought Nick into a crushing choke hold before there was a chance for reaction. He winked at his son before returning his attention back to the matter at hand. "Here's how I see this playing out my pale faced friend," he spoke slowly. Tightening his hold, he continued. "I'm afraid you made a very vital mistake with your actions and because of that there's going to be some serious consequences."

"You'll never take me alive!" Nick gagged.

"What's wrong Nicky? Having a hard time breathing?"

"Bite me!" Nick spat.

"No, that won't do at all," Brian shrugged and sent Nick under.

"Sit on his head Daddy!" Baylee clapped.

"You might want to let him up before he runs out of air," Howie smirked as he waded over and noticed Nick beginning to struggle against Brian's hold. "I don't know. Just a thought. I'll let you decide."

"I suppose you have a point," Brian shrugged. "What do you think Bayster?"

"Nope, keep him under," Baylee disagreed with a tight shake of his head.

"Remind me to never leave my life in your son's hands," Howie muttered.

Brian chuckled and released his grasp on Nick's shoulders, allowing the man to rise in a frenzy. He cocked an eyebrow as Nick made an exaggerated gasp for air, flailing his arms in a manner that appeared more comical then desperate and ran his hands through his wet locks of hair. "What's wrong?" he asked innocently, but even so he found himself unable to hide the humor in his voice.

Nick's glare was evident even before he turned around. "You tried to kill me!" he accused.

"Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions?" Brian smirked.

"I almost drowned!"

"Stop being such a drama queen-"

"You tried to kill me!"

"You're overreacting," Brian replied nonchalantly as he brushed past his seething friend and lifted his arms to hoist Baylee into the cool water. Baylee grinned mischeviously and wrapped his arms securely around his father's neck. "I was merely teaching you a lesson."

"A lesson?!" Nick scoffed in disbelief. "You're psychotic!"

"Alright kiddies, can't we all just get along?" Kevin's voice boomed above the commotion. He stepped over to the edge of the pool with a soda in one hand and a DVD camcorder in the other hand that Brian immediately recognized as his own. He appeared to glare downward for a moment, but his eyes brightened and he shook his head. "I'm beginning to second guess who is actually a kid here."

"Very funny Kevin," Harry chortled while approaching. "Keep filming though. You'll be sure to catch some footage good enough to be used for blackmailing at a later date."

"You're one to know," Kevin told him.

"It's been a useful tool many times in the past," Harry shrugged.

Brian rolled his eyes at his brother. "All talk and no game," he mumbled.

"I see where you get it from," Nick snickered.

Brian paused, considering Nick's words. "Wait just a minute-"

"Don't drown me!" Nick squealed childishly and yanked Baylee from his father's arms. When he was certain he had gained enough safe ground, he lifted the child into the air, amidst Baylee's protests. "You wouldn't drown me when I've got your kid, would you?"

"Save me Daddy!" Baylee cried out. "Uncle Nicky is cheatin' again!"

"Tough stuff kiddo," Nick grinned and pulled him further away.

"Drop the kid Carter!" Harry threatened.

"Not a chance!"

Brian ambled slowly backwards and allowed the scene to unfold before him. He had to admit that it was refreshing to find for once that the tension had all but disappeared completely and he was more then welcoming towards partaking in the activities. Despite the fact that Baylee continuously called out to him to come to the boy's rescue, Brian prefered stepping back and remaining witness to it all. And besides, with Harry diving into the water to play the part of hero, Brian was well aware that Baylee was far too immersed in the moment to dwell on the fact that his father hadn't instantly rushed to his side. Hearing his son's laughter ringing through the air as several of the other neighborhood children rushed into the water was like music to Brian's ears and he didn't want to miss a second of hearing it.

Thirty minutes later he was slightly relieved to be climbing out of the water, scampering quickly out of the way as a stampede of tiny feet hurried over to the oblong table Leighanne had managed to set up that afternoon with Harry's help. As moody and emotional as his wife had become, Brian would never have thought about telling her that the decorations were a little bit over the top. Still, he enjoyed it all the same and what mattered most to him was that Baylee could find no imperfections with what they presented him with that day. Carefully he made his way over to his family.

"Can we say someone went a little overboard with the gifts this year?" Kevin joked as he came up behind his cousin with his wife at his side.

"I suppose I spared no expense," Brian answered with a small shrug and the hint of a smile. "Not like you contributed to the pile of toys that will keep Bay satisfied for the next year."

"What is family for?" Kevin answered.

Brian laughed before glancing to Kristin. "We'll see if he's saying the same thing when it comes time for birthdays in your household."

"Please, spare me the horror. I would like to get through this pregnancy before I start to even consider birthdays," Kristin returned lightly. She nudged her husband in the side before rolling her eyes. "Don't give me that look Mr. Innocent. I know what you're thinking."

Chuckling, Brian turned back to the head of the table where he noticed Leighanne situating their son into a brightly colored chair that was just inches away from being lifted off the ground with the amount of balloons tied to each top corner. He could see his son's eyes widening with the prospect of soon being able to dive into the cake set before him as his mother lit the candles and his giggles were enough to brighten anyone's day. "Hold on Baylee," Brian laughed, taking long strides over and quickly reaching out to prevent the child from grasping a handful of the cake. "You gotta let Mommy get the candles lit."

"Baylee, look over here!" Kevin called out as he aimed the camcorder in a steady line.

Brian watched his son offer an impish wave and a toothy grin as a chorus of "Happy Birthday" rose into the air. Joining in on the song, he ruffled his son's matted curls and smiled down at him and when the song was over, he lowered to his level. "Make a wish and blow out the candles buddy," Brian instructed softly.

"Help me Daddy," Baylee insisted.

"You know..." a raspy tone tore Brian's concentration away after the candles had been distinguished and Leighanne had immersed herself in the task of dishing cake to all of the guests that were present.

Brian grimaced as he pushed himself into an upright position and slowly turned to find AJ lingering an inch behind him. "What?" he drawled tentatively.

AJ's mouth curled into a tight, almost sad smile that admitted his defeat. "Just wanted to say that it's great to see you honestly smiling again and having fun."

"I want Baylee to be happy," Brian stiffly answered, but he softened when he noticed AJ's stature was unwaivering. "It does feel great though."

"Not so hard is it?" AJ smirked lightly.

"Don't push it Aje," Brian joked quietly in return. "As long as Baylee's happy, then I'm happy." The conversation was dropped with that last exchange but somehow Brian was ok with it and when AJ offered him a nod of approval before turning to the table where the birthday boy in question was begging for his attention, Brian allowed himself to relax for the first time in months. And for just once he would attempt to forget about his life's imperfections.