- Text Size +
“Now we have a very special treat tonight. We are going to have live entertainment.” John beamed at the crowd as the crowd murmured.

“Here it comes,” A.J. mumbled to himself. He figured they would ask him and the other boys to perform. He just couldn’t understand why they couldn’t straight out ask them but kept it secret until it was time to go on.

“Now, they are bit shy since this is their big premiere.” A.J. contorted his face in confusion when he heard these words. Was John saying these to make the town feel more special? John pointed his arm towards the stage in the back where 3 guys and one woman stood looking anxious. As soon as the crowd turned to look the music started up and the few couples A.J. spotted around the room began to dance. A few of the younger girls went around to the older gentlemen and began to ask them to dance. Before A.J. knew what was happening three girls were asking him if he would like to join them on the dance floor.

He smiled to each of them and led them one at a time onto the dance floor. He was not shocked, this sort of thing happened to him all the time. He looked around and noticed that his friends had just as many or more girls hanging around them waiting their turn to dance. When A.J. finished dancing with the third girl that originally asked him he wound his way around the crowd, moving towards Allison.

He watched her in hushed conversation with the other Widow’s, a look of concentration on each of their faces. Allison paused from her conversation, turned to look in A.J.’s direction and immediately her concerned faced beamed a smile towards him.

“Hello,” she started, walking towards him, leaving the other women to discuss whatever it was that they had been discussing.

“Would you care to dance?” He asked her. Her smiled dropped for a second but then warmed back up as she took his hand.

“Sure, why not.” She said as they walked towards the dance floor at the very moment the group started playing a slower tune. A.J. pulled Allison close to himself and breathed the scent of her hair in before asking “So was this group playing here that much of a surprise?”

He could hear Allison chuckle softly. “To most, yes. Nobody knew there was anyone in town that could teach anyone those instruments let alone help Martha get the courage to sing. I only knew because, well because of planning this evening.”

They were silent for a minute as they twirled together around the dance floor. “I didn’t know you were a widow.” A.J. finally whispered into Allison’s ear.

“It’s not something I thought was important, everyone in the town knew, I wanted someone to talk to me because they wanted to, not out of pity.” Her response let A.J. know that she did not want to continue on this topic so he closed his mouth and held her tighter.

“What about you?” She quietly asked.

“Not seeing anyone exclusively.” How could he tell her that his last girlfriend called it quits because of his nasty habit of screwing his fans, it was not something you told a woman you just met, or really, not something you told a woman at all.

The song ended and the couple broke apart clapping. As another song started A.J. pulled Allison over to an empty table and sat down. “I certainly am glad you are here, Allison, so far you have made the wait for our bus to be repaired more bearable.”

Allison’s cheeks turned a rosy pink at these words but she did not reply. The two of them sat together silently for a few more minutes before A.J. had the nerve to move his hand towards hers and place it gently on top, using his thumb to rub the back of her hand. Allison looked up and quickly yanked her hand out from under A.J.’s.

“There you are Allison.” John’s voice startled A.J. and he turned to look in the direction the man was standing. “I have a few questions about tomorrow night, would you be so kind as to talk with me, outside. I feel it’s too loud in here to hold a proper conversation.” He smiled warmly at Allison and she reluctantly nodded and followed him outside, glancing back at A.J. for a brief second before leaving the building.

*****

John rounded on Allison as soon as they stepped outside. “Stay away from him. You had your chance and it was spent. You know what he’s for! I don’t want to see you around him again.” John turned and went back inside leaving Allison along in her anger.

“Nothing you can do to me now John.” Allison whispered under her breath before heading back inside for a drink herself.