- Text Size +
Alex finished her work out and made her way back to her room. She was glad that management usually booked them into a hotel that had a gym. She flipped her TV onto a music channel, poured herself a bubble bath and found her book. After an hour of reading and relaxing in the tub, she got out, gave herself a manicure, pedicure and facial. Digging through her suitcase, she found her favorite pair of blue jeans and an emerald green sweater-tee. She took her time putting on her makeup that morning. She put on a little more than usual. She was in a good mood and she wanted to look nice today. It was a special day for her. To finish off her outfit, she wore the gold locket that Justin had given her for Christmas.

Her phone rang. She rushed out of the bathroom and picked it up.
“Hello?”
“Hey Lex! What are your plans for today?”
“Oh, I don’t know. I thought I’d do a little shopping, go out for lunch and maybe take in a movie before the concert tonight. Care to join me?”
“Hmmm maybe. I’m not even out of bed yet.”
“Oh.” Alex replied, her disappointment showing.
“Hey, don’t be like that.”
“Like what?”
“Don’t be all pouty because I don’t want to go shopping with you.” Shae could tell she had hurt Alex’s feelings. “I’ll meet you for lunch kay?”
“Sure. I’ll keep my cel phone on. Call me when you’re ready to meet and we’ll make plans from there.”
“Okay, we’ll talk then. Bye.” Shae hung up before Alex could reply.
Alex saw herself frowning in the mirror over the hotel TV. “Okay, so she’s still in bed. She’ll remember at lunch, right? No frowning today.” She shook her finger at her reflection and put on a smile. “That’s better. It’s going to be a good day.” Alex found her black, leather boots in the bottom of her closet and her purse on the shelf. “I’m outta here.” She left the room.

She met Joey in the elevator on his way to the pool.
“Wow, Alex. You look really nice today.”
“Thank you Joey. Good morning to you too!” Alex smiled.
“What’s the occasion?”
Alex’s smile faded. “Oh, nothing. Just going shopping.”
The doors opened for the swimming pool floor. “Have a good one.” Joey exited the elevator. Alex glared at his back as he walked down the corridor. “Hmph.” She said to herself and pushed the buttons to take her to the lobby. Strike two.

~*~

Going shopping alone is really no fun but Alex wanted to buy a few things for herself so she stuck it out for the morning. She had found a knee-length, red, leather skirt that she just had to have. She didn’t know where, or if, she would ever wear it but she bought it anyway. It was her way of rebelling against her past. Greg would have never let her buy something like that. She bought a novel at the bookstore since she had finished her last one during her bath that morning. She also bought herself a new CD - Backstreet Boy’s Black and Blue. She’d have to make sure no one saw her with that she thought as she placed it at the bottom of her purse. She found a pub on the corner of the shopping mall. Taking her seat at a table facing the street, she ordered a drink from the waitress and dialed Shae’s phone number.

“Hello?”
“Hey Lance. Is Shae there?”
“Yeah, just a sec. She’s doing her hair.”
Alex heard the phone being passed around and then Shae asking them to put it on speaker phone.
“Hey Alex what’s up?”
“Shae! I’m tired of shopping. I’m sitting in the Olde English Pub on the corner of fourth street and fifth ave. I just ordered a red eye and I’m waiting for ya!” There was a short silence on the other end of the line. “Who’s all there?”
“Lance, JC, and I and Justin is knocking at the door.”
“Cool! Why don’t you all come for lunch? I don’t feel like hanging out in some hotel for another afternoon.”
“Well, um, Lex, you see … something’s sorta come up.” In the background, Alex heard Justin enter the room and talk with Lance and JC. Shae shushed them so she could hear the phone. “Lex? Are you still there?”
“Yeah, I’m here. If you didn’t want to come, Shae, why didn’t you just tell me this morning?” Alex replied, trying to keep her voice even. “I’ll see you tonight.” She pressed end on her cel. Strike three.

The waitress had come and set her drink in front of her. Alex paid for it and gathered her things to leave. She really didn’t feel like drinking anymore. Standing up to pick up her bags, she accidentally picked one up upside down and her new book came flying out. She took her coat off again, retrieved her book from the floor and sat back down with her drink. Might as well do something I’m going to enjoy. She thought and opened the cover to the first page.

~*~

“Was that Alex?” Justin asked Shae after she had hung up the phone.
“Yeah. I think she’s in a bad mood today.”
“So you just broke a lunch date with her because you didn’t feel like going?”
“What is this Justin? Are you my mother? So I don’t feel like leaving the hotel today. I’m tired and I’m sick of restaurant food.”
“You have no idea do you?”
“Oh can it Justin. Why don’t you go meet her yourself if you’re so worried about her being out alone.”
“That’s not what I’m worried about. And I am going to meet her. I just hope she’s still there when I get there.” He pulled a fleece jacket over his head and stalked out of the room. “Maybe you should check you calendar, Shae.” He yelled before he slammed the door.
“Sheesh!” Lance turned to JC. “What’s with him?” JC shrugged. Shae picked up her day planner and flipped through a couple pages.
“Oh shit!” She mumbled and dropped her book on the table.

~*~

“Miss? Can I get you another?” The waitress asked a little too cheerfully. Alex had already had two beers, if she ordered another red eye, she wouldn’t be able to read anymore.
“Yes, and one for me too – whatever she’s having.” Justin said from behind her. Alex looked up from her book and shot Justin a surprised look. He smiled and winked at her while taking a seat across the table.
Alex muttered, “What are you doing here?”
“Well, hello to you too.” Justin quipped, still smiling.
“Oh sorry. Hello Justin. Now what are you doing here.”
“I didn’t want the birthday girl to have lunch alone.” He reached over and covered her hand with his own.
“Oh.” Alex replied, turning away so he couldn’t see the tears in her eyes. “I didn’t think anyone remembered.”
“How could I forget someone so special?” Justin ran his finger along her chin and turned her face towards him. He wiped a tear off her cheek. “Hey, no crying on your birthday. That’s a rule.”
Alex finally smiled. “Are there any other rules I should be aware of?”
“Hmmm.” Justin put his finger to his lips and pretended to be in deep thought. “Yes, that you have to have fun today.”
“Oh, is that all?” Alex gave an exaggerated sigh.
“Yep, that’s it!”
“Well, here’s a good start.” They picked up their glasses and clinked them together before taking a drink.

The rest of the afternoon was spent swapping childhood stories and N’sync adventures. Justin thought it was sweet the way that Alex would laugh at every story he told. Of course, he may have exaggerated them a little but she obviously didn’t mind. He liked to watch her laugh. He couldn’t think of a time before when he had seen her laugh like that. A full out total laugh, until her sides hurt. She was so beautiful when her eyes sparkled that way. Justin was oblivious to everything else in the world but her.

“Ohmigod! Justin! Look at what time it is! We gotta go! Now!” Alex jumped up and gathered her packages.
“We don’t have time to go to the hotel. We better just get to the stadium.” Justin replied, looking at his watch for a third time and then paying the bill.

They hailed a cab and got in. Justin gave the address and instructed the driver to hurry. He pulled Alex across the seat, closer to him and kissed her. “Happy Birthday Lex.”