- Text Size +
Justin had kept his distance from Alex for the rest of the afternoon. After hearing the argument between the two, the rest of the guys kept their distance from Justin for the rest of the afternoon as well. They knew better than to annoy him while he was brooding.

Shae had returned and was chatting away with Lance and JC about her holidays. Of course they had filled her in on the events on the bus too. Lance was sitting in a chair while she applied his stage make up.

Alex had been quiet for the entire afternoon. She was now sitting on the floor in the corner, hugging her knees. Her head was back and her eyes were closed.
"Hey!" Shae yelled "Alex, how do you expect me to cover this bruise on Lance’s beautiful face?"

Alex opened her eyes to glare at Shae through two small slits. "It’s not that bad. You’ll figure it out." she said listlessly.
Alex abruptly stood up and walked briskly over to Lance. Still glaring at Shae, she held Lance’s chin in her hand and looked at the bruise on his face. Shae chose to ignore her angry stares and resumed her conversation with JC. Alex gently touched Lance’s eye with her finger tip. He winced and pulled back. Her expression softened. “Oh Lance, I am so sorry. I really didn’t mean to hit you. Please believe me” She surveyed Shae’s supplies before choosing a brush and applying powder over the bruise.

“You’ve got quite a punch!” Lance grinned, trying to make her relax a little.
“Lance, I’m really sorry.”
Lance grabbed her hand and smiled. “I promise to forgive you if you promise to stop apologizing. It was an accident. Enough said.”
“Agreed.”
“Oh and one more thing.”
“What’s that?”
“Smile.”
“Hmph.” Was all she answered. “Okay, I’m done. Is that better?” She moved to the side so that he could take a look in the mirror.
“Wow Lex!” You can’t even tell I have a black eye! Where’d you learn that?”
Alex hardened her expression. “Don’t ask.” She whispered so quietly that Lance didn’t even hear her.

Shae had changed the CD in the boom box she kept on the counter. She turned the volume dial louder and piano music softly filled the air. After putting some finishing touches on Lance’s hair, she kicked him out of the chair. She was about to yell at Chris for his turn but stopped. Alex was standing in front of the stereo with her forehead pressed up against the speaker. It was playing an old ABBA song.

"This park and these houses,
Old streets I have walked
Everything dear
Will it be here?
One day when I am returning?"

JC’s eyebrows raised. He looked quizzically at Lance, who shrugged his shoulders.

"My friends will get married
have children and homes."

Alex pushed a button and played back the last line.

"My friends will get married
have children-"

Jabbing her fingers at the buttons to stop the CD. She whispered the last word to herself again. "Children"
With a low roar she popped the CD out of the player, and snapped it in two. She swung at the water glass perched on top of the shelf with a quick backhand sending it crashing against the nearest wall. She turned on the heel of her shoe and walked out the door, muttering obscenities.

Lance broke the silence that followed. "Would somebody tell me just what the hell happened here?"