- Text Size +
“What are you talking about?” Howie asked me.

“Jeffery Donner…” I replied, still trying to piece it all together within my head so that it could at least make sense to me first. “he was the one that did this to all of us.”

“AJ, your not making any sense.” Kevin told me, capturing my attention. “What are you talking about?”

“The cemetery.” I blurted out. It was painful for me to think back to that very night, lets not forget that I was always the one who was running away from the past. “That’s the only time I can think of when Nick actually shot somebody.” I paused and looked over at the four of them to see if they had finally registered what I was telling them. “But sir, Nick shot that man out of self defense, do you guys even understand how many crimes this guy… Jeffery Donner has under his belt? If you ask me, I think Nick did you guys a favor.”

“We are very well aware of that Mr. McLean, but murder is a crime nonetheless and we have witnesses that testified otherwise.”

“And that would be?” Brian questioned.

“We can’t release that information to you guys at this moment. All we can tell you is that he has been found guilty on this charge and will be sent to the California State Prison early tomorrow morning. We aren’t too sure how long he’ll be detained there, we just know that he’ll have a court hearing where he’ll be able to appeal, so if I were you guys I’d find the best lawyer you can to help Mr. Carter in this case.”

“So, that’s it?” I asked in a cocky tone. “It’s our word against who and how many of them? As far as I know, it was only the five of us and Jeffery present during that time. What witnesses are you guys talking about?”

“As far as you know.” Officer Malloy repeated, pointing his clasped hands towards me. “Look, I understand that you guys have been through a lot this past year, and we really don’t mean to burden you guys with anything else, but we’re just following through with our boss’ orders. As much as we’d like to clear things up for you gentlemen, that’s about all that we can tell you. Now, if you can please excuse us,” Officer Malloy rose from his chair and walked over to the door. “we have other business to attend to.” he said as he pushed the door and held it open.

The four of us rose from our seats as well and proceeded outside. I glanced at both Officer Malloy and Tanner on my way out, they both had this smug look on their face, which only made my anger boil even more. Once we walked out of the station, I quickly reached into my pockets and pulled out my pack of cigarettes.

“Another damn cancer stick?” Kevin asked me.

“These damn cancer sticks always relieves my stress, or my anger for that matter.”

“So, what are we gonna do you guys?” Howie questioned no one in particular.

“We’re gonna do exactly what they suggested we do.” Kevin replied. “We’re gonna find the best damn lawyers there is for Nick.”

I placed the cigarette to my mouth and lit it. You know, through all this shit that’s going on right now, I can honestly say that it felt good to have Kevin as the leader once again.