- Text Size +
Sleep didn’t come easy to me, how could it? Here I was, lying on a stiff cot, waiting for someone to come and get me. Am I anticipating to be transferred over to the prison? No, but lying in this rotting, cold cell wasn’t making the situation any better. I’ll soon be entering a world of criminals, some of them being rapists while most of them are murderers, like me. Only difference is that I killed someone out of self defense, they killed for a living.

Anyway, I busied myself by counting the number of holes they had in their ceiling, I was on the 313th hole. I glanced down at my watch, it was nearing 8:30, I thought they said that they were coming to get me first thing in the morning? I guess I thought too fast because next thing I know, in walks Officer Malloy and Officer Tanner.

“Good morning Sleeping Beauty.” Officer Tanner greeted me. “Did you sleep well?”

“I was until you two showed up, you reminded me that I was sleeping in a hell hole.”

“Well, our cells ain’t that bad…” Officer Malloy remarked as he looked around at my cell. “Watch when you get to prison, you’ll see and notice the difference... hell, you might even feel it!”

I know the guys always tease me about being blond and all, but I truly didn’t understand his statement right there. Officer Tanner walked up to my cell and took out his keys to unlock it. “Okay, lets get this straight. You’re a pop star, a world renowned fucking Backstreet Boy, who commits murder. You’re guilty as charged and you’re going to the California State Prison where there is a shitload of criminals. Do you know what they do to fresh meat? Do you want to know what they do? Well, considering your status, you can’t even being to imagine what they’ll do to you.”

I rolled my eyes at their “don’t pick up the bar of soap” speech, so to speak. “Look, your guys job is to transfer me to that goddamn prison, not to play fucking mind games with your dumbass scare tactics.”

They both turned to look at each other in amusement. Officer Tanner ripped the cell door open while Officer Malloy walked in, approaching me rather quickly. I tried to back away but his hand quickly shot out, grabbing my right arm. He wrenched it tightly behind my back and grabbed my other arm to bring it back as well. Officer Tanner now approached me with a grin on his face and he began to plow his fists into my stomach, forcing the air right out of my lungs.

“You have quite a mouth boy.” Officer Tanner said as he continued to deliver punch after punch to my abdomen area, causing me to double over. I felt my arms beginning to strain as Officer Malloy pulled my arms even tighter behind my back as I hunched over.

Once Officer Tanner was through, Officer Malloy had let go of my arms, allowing me to collapse to my knees. I instantly crumbled to the ground, clutching at my stomach. I began to cough and hack, gulping down air that they had forced out of me.

“C’mon pretty boy.” Officer Malloy said as he grabbed me by the back of my shirt and hauled me to my feet.

Once I was standing, he pushed me out of my cell, and I tried my best to walk on my weak legs, my back hunched because my stomach protested every time I tried to stand straight. Officer Tanner immediately placed handcuffs around my wrists and shackles around my ankles and we were on our merry way to that damn transfer bus. They led me outside their station and god it had never felt so good to see the sun, let alone have it’s scorching heat beat down on my body. My body was growing weak by the second and I was desperately trying to fight the dizzy spells that were threatening to take me over. I looked up through my disoriented state to notice a line of criminals standing outside a bus, slowly filing in one by one. They too had handcuffs and shackles, they all stood and waited for the jail guard to check them off.

“We’ll be seeing you real soon Backstreet Boy.” Officer Tanner cackled as they shoved me forward to the bus.

I turned to glare at them only to see them both smiling at me, waving as if they were truly waving goodbye to a loved one that was leaving. I was the last in line, but my turn came in a matter of minutes.

The guard looked up at me, clipboard clenched tightly in one hand while he began to tap his pen on the board with the other. “Who might you be sonny?” he asked me.

“Carter.” I simply replied.

He looked down at his board and began to scan the names. He flipped to the next page and said “ahh” as he scratched a line through my name with his pen. “Well, if it ain’t Mr. Backstreet Boy himself Nickolas Gene Carter. What you in
for?”

I shrugged, “Same as everybody else I guess.”

He simply chuckled as he stepped on to the bus. “Ladies and gentlemen, we have an infamous pop star joining our stay, so I want you all to make him feel comfortable, make him feel welcomed… make him feel right at home boys.”

Once he stepped off, I stepped onto the bus, noticing that all eyes were on me. I tried to hold my composure, come off looking intimidating at least to some of these guys, but none of them were buying my bluff. I continued to look for an empty seat, but they were all occupied, and by the looks of things, no one wanted me to sit by them. I made my way all the way towards the back of the bus and just stood there to wait for the bus to roar to life and leave on it’s journey to the prison.

“Pst.” I heard. I turned and looked to see who did that, only to be greeted by a young looking black male, who had waxed eyebrows and a headband around his head. I continued to stare at him, unsure if he was referring to me, but again he did whatever he could to catch my attention, and when he finally did he motioned for me to sit next to him.

I continued to stare at that man as if he was crazy, but I hesitantly made my way over to him to sit next to him. I remained forward in my seat, contemplating whether I should thank him for allowing me to sit next to him. “Thank you.” I finally mumbled.

His eyes trailed my body up and down and all of a sudden I got this uneasy feeling. There was no doubt in my mind that this man was gay, and the last thing I needed was for him to be hitting on me and trying to make passes.

“The name’s Danny.” He finally said, holding his hand out.

I glanced over at him, yep... definitely gay. When he finally spoke to me, a feminine twang shone through. I stared at his outstretched hand for a while but finally shook it. “Nick.”

“What you in for?”

I knew I was going to be hearing that question a lot from people. “Self defense.”

“Self defense?” he repeated. “Did you hurt someone in self defense or something?”

“I killed someone in self defense.”

“Oh,” he muttered, his eyes trailing me up and down again. I shifted in my seat, trying to sit as far as I could from him, and he noticed my sudden movements. “Don’t worry sweetie,” he said. “I may be gay and all, but you’re not exactly my type. I mean, you’re cute and all but I just don’t prefer white chocolate…” I glanced at him. “I don’t take cream with my coffee…” he continued.

I simply nodded and remained staring straight ahead. He continued to stare at me, as if wanting to strike up another conversation, and I really wasn’t in the mood to be talking to anybody. “So, what’s this talk about you being famous?”

“I’m just in the music business.”

“Wow… I never imagined a singer rolling through here nor did I ever imagine sitting next to someone famous for committing a crime like me.” he fell silent for a while. “If anything, I’m still waiting for LL Cool J to go buck wild and crazy and come rolling up in here, mmm boy you just don’t know.”

I felt a chuckle rising within my throat, but I refused to release it. That was the first time since last night that I was able to smile or chuckle, which made me think about the guys. “So, what kind of music do you do?”

“Look, I don’t mean to be rude but I really don’t feel like talking.”

He continued to stare at him, hurt flashing in his eyes. “Okay, I’m sorry Nick.” he mumbled, turning so that he was now gazing out the window.

I remained forward but glanced at him through the corner of my eye. Guilt began to gnaw at my heart, I felt bad for treating him so cruelly when all he was trying to do was hold a conversation, he did let me share a seat with him. “Look…” I began but paused. “I’m sorry, I’m just…” I tried to find the right words to say, but his eyes remained staring out the window. “I guess you could say I’m a pop singer…” I finally replied. “I’m in a band and we do a little fusion of pop, rock and contemporary… love ballads.”

After a while, he finally turned to look me in the eyes. “Are you guys big or just another one of those Myspace bands trying to make it big.”

I finally released a chuckle, I couldn’t suppress it. “I guess you could say that we’re big… we’ve been signed to Jive records since 1993.”

His eyes grew big, “Jive… as in R. Kelly and Petey Pablo Jive records?” I simply nodded. “I can’t believe this!”

I only smiled as my thoughts deepened more about the guys. “So, what you in for?” I asked him, trying to divert the attention away from me.

“Same as you, but it wasn’t out of self defense… I found my boyfriend cheating on me, and I killed both him and his playa…”

I looked over at him and laughed. “This ain’t my first time getting wound up with the law… I’ve been to juvie when I was a teen, went to jail numerous of times, and I’ve been in and out of prison to visit my father, so I guess I’m kind of used to everything. Is this your first time?” I nodded. “Well, don’t worry… it ain’t as bad as people crack it to be.” I began to ponder on his statement; of course he would say that, he wouldn’t mind getting it in the ass. “Just stick with me and the right people and you’ll be fine.”

I smiled at him and looked forward to see us pulling into the heavily guarded prison. My mind began to wander back to the guys, wondering what they were doing. For me, the right people were far away from me… I wasn’t going to be fine.