- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it's taken so long I had to start over
Fight for Love

Chapter 6

The next morning Jackie wakes up early and heads down to the kitchen to find Aj already up and cooking. “Good morning.” Jackie says “Good morning.” Aj says. “Do you need any help? I mean you're probably not use to cooking for a large crowd.” Jackie says trying to make small talk. “Sure, you wanna do the eggs or something. I”m making pancakes.” Aj says They continue cooking for an hour.
“Do you love him?” Jackie asks as she returns from the dinning room. “With every fiber of my being.” Aj answers. “What about Baylee?” “I love Baylee as if he were my own. Speaking of him I've got to get his Popsicles today I forgot yesterday.” Aj says writing Popsicles on the list for the store. “I just don't want my baby boy hurt.” Jackie says. “I don't plan on hurting him and if I ever do I assure you that your nephew will make sure I feel nothing but pain.” They set the food out and wait for the smell to reach the sleeping family upstairs.

The smell of food starts waking everyone up. Brian heads into Baylee's room. He smiles as he sees his son and best-friend asleep. “Bay, time to wake up baby boy, gotta get ready for school.” Brian says brushing the hair away from the six year old's face and checking for fever. “I don't wanna go to school daddy.” Baylee says sleepily. Nick wakes up, sitting up looking at Brian. “Morning Bri.” Nick says yawning. “Morning.” Brian says. “Why don't you wanna go?” Brian asks his son as Baylee climbs into his lap. “I wanna stay home with nanna and pop pop, and everybody else daddy.” Baylee says. “Get dressed so we can go downstairs and we'll run it by Daddy Aj ok?” Brian says knowing Aj is only going to let him have one day off from school. Baylee hops out of his daddy's lap and goes over to his closet to get dressed choosing something that can easily be changed into his uniform if his daddy Aj says no. They walk out of the bedroom into the middle of what seems like a stampede.

“Brian I know you're hurt and all but get out of my way I can smell biscuits.” Kevin says pushing his cousin along. “Good morning to you too Kev.” Brian says. They all gather around the table mouths watering. “Chocolate chip pancakes.” Baylee says sitting down in his chair. Everyone follows his lead and start digging into the food. “Baylee you can't wear that shirt to school.” Aj says taking a bite of his omelette. “I wanna stay home today Daddy Aj.” Baylee says looking up from his pancakes. “What did daddy say?” Aj asks. “I said we'd run the idea past you.” Brian says looking at Aj. “Just a couple of days ok bay?” Aj says. “Ok daddy, I don't think I'll be missing anything.” Baylee says. “I'll make sure you get your homework so you don't fall behind.” Aj says smiling.
Jackie stands back and watches how Aj and Brian interact with each other and everyone around them. Maybe it really doesn't matter who the person is as long as they love each other. She smiles as she sees Aj lean over to wipe Baylee's mouth. They are a family.