- Text Size +
When I was finally old enough to leave the house, I left without any hesitation. After all those years, I was still angry with them and I let them know it. I made it a living hell for them in those 10 years. I didn’t know where I gout go that day but I called a taxi, had whatever possessions I could carry and whatever money I could round up.

I ended up with a distant cousin who said would support me in any way. She always believed my parents didn’t treat me like a teenager or an adult for that matter. Since I had my high school degree, I worked at a little family run restaurant to save up to go to the local community college. I wanted to become a writer and a teacher. I wanted to write a book someday about my childhood and I was damn determined to get there. It was three years later that I had started to attend college that I saw him.

I was still working in the restaurant when he walked in. I looked toward Angela who looked like she wanted to eat him for lunch.

“Ang, he is on my side of the restaurant.”

“Yeah but I don’t have anyone on my side.”

“Rock, Paper, Scissors?”

“Alright, deal.”

After two rounds I was at his table with a menu. Those hazel eyes could melt any girl’s heart. He looked like he was having a rough day.

“Hey, don’t look so happy!” I said sarcastically. He gave a little grin as he looked up at me.

“It’s been on of those days.”

“Well what can I get you to feel better?”

“Just a cup of coffee is fine. I have to get back to class in a few anyways.”

“Where do you go to?”

“Kirtland.”

“Me too! Small world I guess. Surprised I haven’t run into you around campus. Well I’ll be back in a minute.”

With my back turned I remember mouthing “Oh My God” to Ang. Instantly she grabbed my arm and took me back to the kitchen.

“What’s he like? Is he single? Is he from around here?”

“All I know is that he goes to Kirtland.”

“Well go and find out more!”

I walked out of the kitchen, grabbing a cup to take out of him along with a post of coffee.

“Must be a rough day if you’re having coffee at 3 in the afternoon.

“ Well I got late for class today and walked in on my girlfriend with another guy.”

“Oh my God! I’m so sorry! I don’t know how people do that kind of thing. Well my friend back there seems to be interested in you.”

He chuckled. “Nah, she’s not my type. Yeah things just weren’t really working out for us anyways.”

“Well then I think this coffee is on me. You need a little something to brighten up your day.”

“Thanks but you don’t need to do that.”

“No, I insist.” I gave a gentle smile as he quickly glimpsed at his watch.

“I gotta go. Thank you again. I’m Howie by the way.”

“Willow. And I’d do it anytime. I mean…”

“Willow…what a beautiful name for a beautiful person.” He took my hand and kissed the back of it. “I hope that maybe I will see you again.”

He grabbed his jacket and header toward the door and left. At that moment, I was so shocked that I didn’t even hear Ang calling me. I was still lost in his eyes and those kind words.