- Text Size +
I had worked with him for a period of time. He was a new teacher at the school which I had been working at. I had been there for 7 years, he for 2. Staff meetings were when we saw each other. He was the newer biology teacher and sometimes we would talk about new ideas. I, at one time, loved the ideas and creativity needed for science. We talked of theories and writings. One night he asked me to dinner. I told him I couldn’t because of my husband. He had given me his number anyways for in case I ever needed to talk to him. He said he would be over as fast as he could anytime. He would leave notes on my desk, in my mailbox. It was almost like a game between us. He knew me. He cared about me although he knew I was married.

He knew something was wrong when he came to my classroom after the day was done. I was staring deeply into space as he knocked on my door.

“Willow…what’s wrong?”

“Have you ever felt so rejected? As if you were some piece of garbage being kicked around? That’s how I feel today.”

“Babe, I know it’s got to be a tough time for you and Howie but I know you can work it out.”

Babe…God I could hear him call me that all day. Just how he would say that, say my name made me shiver.

“I don’t know about this time Danny. It’s just so…tiresome. I feel so alone.” He came beside me and wrapped his arms around me.

“How about I come over and make you some dinner tonight. Keep you company.”

“Actually that sounds great.” I stated with a gentle grin

As he left the classroom, a slow panic came over me. ‘What am I doing flirting with him? I’m a married woman…but he knows that and he’s a friend.’ I became calm again and didn’t think anything of it.

I went back to my house and was trying to decide whether I should change into something different. I decided against it and picked up the book I was reading, sitting down in the nearby chair. Half an hour later, he appears at the door with a bag of groceries in hand and a smile on his adorable face.

“You didn’t need to bring a buffet!”

“Well I wanted to make sure I brought all the essentials. Man can’t make a fool of himself because he forgot an ingredient.”

I proceed to help him by unloading the bags but he quickly shoos me away.

“Go do something productive. I’m making dinner.”

I give him a kidding, friendly shove and laughed my way back to my chair and my book. Only I didn’t read because I was occupied with something else.

He had changed into a different dress shirt. I really didn’t realize it until I would glimpse at him cooking up some chicken and pasta. His chocolate colored hair just started to grow a little long. A black dress shirt with a white tie made him look absolutely gorgeous. I couldn’t stop staring at him either as we were eating the delicious dinner of chicken parmesan with a ’76 Chardonnay which wasn’t helping me any. We took our wine over to the couch and sat trying to make a little small talk.

“How long is he gone for this time?” he said with the sense of sarcasm.

“Four or five months. Give or take a few. And that whole time I will be lucky if I hear a word from him.”

“This isn’t right Willow. Have you talked to him about it?”

“Yeah but it’s his job. I can’t make him stop doing what he loves. I wouldn’t want him to tell me to stop teaching.”

“But this is different. You don’t stay away for months at a time.”

“I deal with it and I have to support him.”

“All I can say is that I hope one day I can find a woman as dedicated to me as you are to him,” he said in a some what harsh tone.

“What exactly is that supposed to mean Danny? Why are you worrying about this whole situation so much? Why...”

“Because I love you, Willow. Not just as my friend. I have wanted to be in your thoughts during the day and in your arms at night. You have such a loving nature about you and I love you so damn much.”

I stared at him in almost disbelief. If I had known better I would have gotten up and pointed my finger to the door saying “Get out of my house.” But I believed every word he said and I shivered. A chill kept racing down my spine because of thought running in my mind…wants and needs.

“Stay with me tonight.” I barely whispered

The candlelight flickered across his face. He looked at me with questioning eyes.

Sounding like a child, I said “Danny, please stay with me tonight.”
He set down his wine glass and took mine from my hands. He gently brushed his hand on my cheek, looking deep into my soul. His kiss was warm and gentle, so soft that I craved for more. Our kiss became more passionate as I gently tugged his tie for him to follow me back towards the bedroom, our bedroom. I saw our wedding picture sitting on the dresser, his face seeming to be judging me. I lay the picture face down on the dresser so those eyes couldn’t haunt my happiness.

He sat on the edge of the bed, looking at me with passionate, unsure eyes. I sat next to him and just looked deeply at him. ‘Where did our passion go? Why isn’t Howie like Danny?’ I placed my hand on his leg and his hand graced over mine.

“I can’t go this far tonight. I want to. God I want to but right now what I need is comfort…just you beside me. I’m sorry Danny.” My eyes started to blur over in fresh tears as I leaned into him. His eyes softened. His thumb gently brushed a stray tear off my cheek.

“Will, its ok. Just either way, remember what I said tonight. I meant it all.”

“I still want you to stay. Please.” I get up and start to pull back the covers. We got into bed and he cuddled up next to me. Nothing had happened that night. All I can remember is that for the night in a long time, I fell asleep happy.