- Text Size +
Chapter One

My name is Satiana and today was a typical day in my life at least it was of the most part. That changed when I over heard my grandfather Lord Elrond talking to the head of the staff saying that many guests were to be arriving soon. Some all ready had, one of which was Gandalf, a close friend of my grandfather. I had known him all my life.

Anyway back to what I had heard my grandfather saying. He mentioned that some ring had been found and that it was being carried by a hobbit that was bringing it here to Rivendell and that others were being summoned for a council meeting concerning the ring. I believe that he said that one of the summoned was my best friend Legolas. He and I have been friends for as long as I can remember, he’s always been there for me through everything that’s happened in my life, and let me be honest it hasn’t been all sunshine and all lollipops.

He’s the only true friend I’ve ever had. Save for my sister Ebony, but that’s not really the same. It’s been a long time since I last saw Legolas. It felt like a millennium, but it’s only been a few months. The last time I saw him it was my sister’s birthday. My grandfather had invited him and his father that year, because it had been a long time since my grandfather had seen Legolas’ father. That night seemed different.
I felt something that I never thought I would ever feel again since my mother had disappeared. I felt as though I loved him, but that’s impossible he’s my best friend. Yet when we walked together in the garden that night, it was then that I noticed that my feelings fro him were changing. I concealed my new feelings from him as best as I could and pretended that nothing had changed. I had a feeling he knew though, he has a way of all ways knowing everything when it comes to me.

But if he did he never mentioned it to me. I think that was what made these last few months seem so long, but if I heard grandfather correctly Legolas would be returning to Rivendell and the thought makes me fear leaving my room. For I am scarred that if I see my grandfather and he tells me that Legolas is coming that I will not be able to hide my emotions. That goes for anyone that I might come across.

Then I heard running in the hall and pounding on my bedroom door. I hurried from the balcony across the room and opened the door to see Ebony standing there. She came in and sat on bench at the end of my bed when she caught her breath she told me that she had over heard our grandfather talking, and was about to tell me everything I had heard when I stopped her and told her I heard him too. When she got up to leave she said that Legolas would be arriving in the morning and smiled at me in that “I know what you’re feeling” kind of look. So I said to her “Why are you smiling at me like that?” and she simply said “no reason.” and that she would see me in the morning.

Then she turned to leave the room and said that she knew how I felt about Legolas and that I didn’t have to worry about her knowing because she wouldn’t say anything to anyone. I gave her a hug and thanked her. Then she quickly left towards her room to sleep. I awoke the next morning to Ebony shaking me and telling me to get up. She said that I only had an hour to get ready.

I knew that I would soon be seeing Legolas. For some reason that made me extremely nervous.
It must have been more obvious then I hoped, because everyone I saw that morning asked me what it was that was bothering me and me always answered “nothing”. My grandfather even seemed to notice even though he never said anything about it. I got the feeling that he knew what was plaguing me.

An hour later I was standing on the veranda by the garden when I heard the sound of horses quickly approaching. I turned slightly to see who was arriving. That was when I noticed Legolas. He arrived along with two others. I stood on the veranda a few moments watching as my grandfather came to greet them. Just then Ebony came up to me and asked if I would like to help grandfather greet our guests.

I told her no. I would rather wait to see them until lunch. I went back to my room and lay down and thought about Legolas. I knew he would notice right away that something was wrong. I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I remember was Ebony coming in and telling me that I had to get ready for dinner.

When I was ready Ebony returned and we walked to dinner. On the way down she told me that Legolas kept asking for me at lunch. Ebony said she had told him that I was resting because I hadn’t slept well the night before. When we approached the doors I stopped and took a breath trying to brace myself as much as possible. Ebony touched my hand and told me not to worry and everything would be fine.

When we walked in everyone looked at me. Some obviously wondering who I was and others who knew me seemed happy to see me. Just then Legolas did something most unexpected. He ran from his seat near the head of the table all the way across the room to where I was standing and hugged me.

It rather caught me by surprise. After everyone finished eating, the music started and people began to dance. Legolas got up then and walked over and asked me to dance with him. I have never been one for dancing, but before I could say anything Ebony spoke for me saying that I would love to.

When we stopped dancing, he took my hand and led me out in to the garden. That right away reminded me of the last time I saw him. It was nearing the end of my sister’s birthday party and Legolas and I were walking in the garden. I was depressed slightly then because mother was not there to celebrate like she had all ways been.

Legolas noticed this and sat next to me on a bench. He said that he noticed that something was bothering me and that it pains him to see me so distressed. I told him it was nothing and that he shouldn’t concern himself with my problems. He said he couldn’t do that because he’s not one to sit by while one of his friends suffered.

That night reminded me a lot of this night which only meant that he knew something was bothering me. He sat me down on the same bench and he knew something was bothering me. He said that I seemed nervous and much more withdrawn especially around him. I apologized of being so and explained that I had a lot on my mind and was distracted. He nodded and then got up and held is hand out to me. I took his hand and we continued our walk.