- Text Size +
~After school~

“Hi honey! How was your first day?” said Mrs. Richards in a rather chirpy voice. Erin cringed.

“Mom,” she whined “why do you have to pick me up right here? Everyone’s going see and think that I’m some type of baby!”

“Erin” her mother warned “we already had this discussion. Besides no one will think that you’re a baby. And I’m not picking you anywhere else. Especially if something happens to you. Please sit up”

“Nothing will happen to me mom. You know I always cross the street safe and there are crossing guards”

“How can you say it won’t happen to you when you nearly lost your life?!” her mother yelled.

“IT WASN’T MY FAULT AND YOU KNOW IT!”

“WELL YOU COULD’VE…”

“WHAT MOM? LOOKED MORE CAREFULLY?!?! I HAD THE GREEN LIGHT AND NO CARS WERE OUT. HE CAME OUT OF NO WHERE”

“Don’t raise your voice at me young lady or you’re grounded!”

“Grounded? You’ve got to be kidding me! I’m already grounded! I can’t go to the mall and hang with friends or see a movie, why? Because it isn’t safe honey. I can’t go to the movies because it’s too dark. I can’t drive anywhere because it isn’t safe!” She said in a mocking tone. “Let’s face it I’m grounded from everything! Why don’t you just lock me in a bubble?”

With that Erin jumped out of the car and slammed the door shut. She headed inside her house.

“Hi sweet...”started Mr. Richards before turning to his wife. “Emily what’s wrong with her? Did she have a bad day at school?”

“No.” she said sighing. “We got into an argument on the way home. She said that we should put her in a bubble. She thinks that we are babying her.”
“Well it’s understandable. Her life has changed dramatically since the accident”

“I know Shawn. I just wished she understood that.”

Erin sat there on the steps listening to her parents talk about her as if she had suffered major injuries that left her incapable to do anything for herself. ‘I hate this’ she thought and sat silently crying. ‘I wish that they wouldn’t treat me like a baby’

She got up from her post and went into her room locking the door behind her. She started to cry and wondered what the asshole who did this to her was doing. Though it didn’t help that she didn’t know his name. She wanted to make him pay right now. Not for nearly killing her, but for making her life afterwards a living hell.

~ A few hours later ~

Shawn knocked on Erin’s door. “Sweetie? It’s time for dinner.”

“I’m not hungry!” was the answer he received.

“You need to eat something.”

“I’m NOT hungry.”

“Erin Elisabeth Richards! Open up this door NOW! You will come down and eat dinner with us!” he demanded.

“No! I’m not hungry and I just want to be by myself! Is that so hard to ask?”

“I mean it Erin. If you aren’t out here in 1 minute…”

“You’ll what? Ground me?! I already am!”

“Fine suit yourself.” He said dissatisfied and walked away.

That was it. That was the last straw. She was fed up with her parents. She wanted to get away. She needed to get out. She went into her closet and grabbed out her duffel bag. She emptied out her backpack and went over to her drawers and started packing some clothes, and other necessary items she’d need. She walked over to her computer and went to book a bus ticket to Florida. She knew she could go and stay at her cousin’s house. Her cousin Lily lived a 4 hour drive away from her in Tampa. Once her bags were packed and her ticket booked, she started to plan her ‘escape’. She’d tell her mom that she found a bunch of Lindsey’s stuff in her room and wanted to bring it to her plus a few things that she knew she ‘wanted’ to borrow to explain the duffle bag.

Then she thought of a better scheme. Erin text Lindsey to call her house and have her ask whoever answers the phone to remind her to bring the clothes with her to school and she’d explain later.

A few minutes later she heard the phone ring, then her mother came the stairs.
“Erin”

“Yea mom?”

“Lindsey called for you. She said not to forget to bring her clothes to her tomorrow.”

“Oh ok thanks I will.”

“I didn’t know you two still shared clothes. I swear you’re practically like sisters” Her mother said walking away.

Before she shut her computer down to pack it, she wrote a quick email to Lindsey:

Hey Lin-Lin
Thanks for calling. Listen I can’t take my parents bullshit anymore! They are driving me insane! Treating me like I’m a baby. I have to get away for awhile, but don’t worry I’ll be fine. I can’t tell you where I’ll be but I’ll be safe. I’ll see you around and I’ll keep in touch, but you HAVE to promise me that won’t tell my parents when I email you. PLEASE Lin. You have no idea what I’ve been through in the last few months and I just need to get away from it all for my own sanity.
Play hard and remember to bend your knees and stay low to the ground hehe :-)

Love ya babe!
Erin

She clicked send. Then she sent an email to Lily.

Hey Lil!
I need to come stay with you for a while. I can’t stand my parents treating me like a baby since I was in a car accident. I know you’ll let me stay no questions asked. I just need some peace of mind. Please don’t tell mom and dad.
I’m taking the bus in the morning so I should be in about 1 in the afternoon at the Tampa station. Can you please pick me up? Thanks cuz! I’ll see you tomorrow!

Love ya! Erin


With that she went changed into her pajamas, turned off the light and went to bed.