- Text Size +
Flight attendant: “Ladies and gentlemen as we make our final descent into Orlando, we ask that you return to your seat, fasten your seatbelts, store your tray tables, bring your seat to its full upright position, and make sure any belongings that you brought out during flight are properly stowed away. Flight attendants will make their final rounds to collect garbage shortly. Thank you.”

“Alex, honey it’s time to wake up. We’re almost home.”

Alex mumbled as he turned to look at his smiling mother. “We’re here already?” he said groggily.

“Yes dear.” She chuckled.

“Flight attendants please prepare for landing.” announced the pilot.

~2 minutes later ~

“Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Orlando International Airport. Local time is 10:23 PM. You may now use cell phones and other electronic devices. Please make sure that you take all your personal belongings with you. You may pick up any checked luggage at carousel B11. Thank you for flying with us. We hope that you join us again.” came a voice over the PA system.

“Come on let’s go get our bags so we can get home.”

“Alrighty then mom, let’s go” Alex said trying to impersonate Jim Carrey.

“I think you’ve been hanging out with Brian too much dear.”

“No never!” *they both laugh*

“I’ll get our bags and you go get the…*look of confusion* how are we getting home?” he asked a bit puzzled. “You said someone drove you to the airport.”

“Which means someone is picking us up.” she smiled at him.

“Who?” he asked like a little anxious child.

“You’ll see soon enough” She could tell by his frown that he didn’t like her answer, but she knew he’d love the surprise.

“Alex! Denise! Over here!” called a young man in his twenties.

“Very slick dear. I hope they don’t catch on to us.” Denise said with a smart alleck tone.

“Howie?”

“It’s good to see you J! How’ve you been?” Howie said as he enveloped Alex into a huge bear hug.

“I’d be a lot better if I could breathe” Alex chocked out.

“Oops! Sorry man. Just glad to have you back. It’s been kind of quiet without ya.”

“Aww you guys missed me! I feel so loved” he said faking a tear.

“Well I don’t know about you too, but I’m tired and I’d like to go home while it’s still today fellas.” said Denise.

“I parked my car out here. Do you guys need any help with your bags?”

“Howie you’re such a sweet heart, but I think we can manage.” she smiled at him.

“You may not need a hand but I do!” Alex exclaimed.

Without saying anything Howie started clapping his hands. Alex shot him an evil glare and Denise just laughed at the two boys.

“What?! You said you needed a hand.” Howie replied devilishly.

“Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny” scowled Alex.

“I thought so.” he said simply. “Here’s my car.” He hit the button on his key ring to disable the alarm. Then he opened the trunk and helped put their bags in. Then he unlocked the doors and climbed into the driver’s seat. Denise climbed into the back to allow the two a chance to catch up, since contact was very limited.

On the drive to Denise’s house (remember Alex has his own house too) she quietly listened to the boys talk about what has been going on since they last saw each other. How it was in rehab. How the other fellas were doing, and all the basic other chit chat. She smiled as she remembered the days way back when they were both small boys goofing off at various auditions. Now here they were grown men before her eyes acting the same way they did then. ‘They never really grow up’ she thought to herself amused.

~ 30 minutes later ~

They arrived at the house. Howie helped unload the car and made sure they got into their house safely.

“I’ll see you guys later. Oh and Alex,” Howie paused, “I’m glad you’re back and ok.”

Alex smiled. “Thanks man. Thanks for the ride. I’ll call ya after I get settled and stuff.”

“Alright. Night.”

“Bye Howie. Thanks for the ride. Drive safe, and please give a quick call so we know you made it safely.” Denise said.

“I’ll be careful, and I’ll call when I get there.” He smiled, she always reminded him of his mother. ‘Funny how they manage to do that.’ He thought as he waved good bye.

Inside the Mclean house 5 minutes later they phone rang.

“He can’t be home that quickly” said a worried Denise out loud. “Hello?” she answered.

“Hi Denise. It’s Nick.”

“Hi hon. what can I do for you?”

“Is Alex still up and awake?”

“I believe so…”

“Can I talk to him?”

“Mom who is it?” asked Alex.

“It’s Nick. He called for you.” She told him before going back to Nick on the line. “Nick, Alex is right here. Don’t keep him up too late now.” she playfully warned.

“I won’t I promise.” He said and made a X over his heart. ‘Like she could see that you dork!’ he thought to himself.

“Hey Nickers! What’s up? I’m not even home for 10 minutes and you’re already calling me. What’d Howie do call you the second he left my house?” he joked.

“No, but I knew what time your flight came in so I timed it.”

“You my friend are such a dork!”

“I know I know” he smiled. “But listen, I’m having a BBQ tomorrow and wanted to invite you and your mom over. The guys will be here and Leigh, and Kris. It wouldn’t be a party without you.” He bribed.

“Yea I don’t see why not. What time?”

“Get here about one.” He said knowing full well he wouldn’t get there till two, which is the time he wanted him there. He silently prayed that rehab didn’t make him a punctual person because then the surprise would be ruined.