- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is in response to the June photo challenge - the photo is below at the start of the story. The challenge was to write a romance story involving Brian, but he wasn't allowed to date or marry Leighanne - he has to be with someone else. I hope I did it justice. Enjoy!

Diusclaimer: Own nothing but story idea & the photo at the end! Thank-you!

The two that would never be, danced across the dance floor, to a wonderful slow song by Boys II Men. They’d come to a premiere after party, as the one had been invited.

Brian sighed, as he leaned in to whisper re-assuring words to Leighanne, though he had just told her earlier that day, that it just wasn’t meant to be – that he didn’t love her the way he used to anymore. And though she had accompanied him to the party, she was just a filler until his true love arrived and he’d show her off to everyone there.

His true love was a wonderful woman, who made him laugh and smile and feel things he had never felt before – not even when with Leighanne. He had told Leighanne, he loved her but not in the way she deserved and not like he had in the beginning. He confessed his heart belonged to someone else and may’ve always had.

Leighanne was surprisingly understanding about it all, and still agreed to accompany him to the party. She’d also insisted they remain good friends, as she loved how she felt when around him – even if they could never be nothing more again.

Brian looked around as him and Leighanne danced, his eyes searching for his love, the lady that held his heart hostage and refused to let it go – not that he wanted for her to let it go anytime soon. He sighed when he realized she had still yet to arrive, and wondered just what was taking her so long to grace everyone with her presence.

He’d known his lady love for years, courtesy of his cousin – though, he had never expected to fall madly in love with the woman. But she was always such a joy to be around, even when she was miserable and having a bad day, she still made him smile because the look on her face was just too beautiful to resist. He loved frustrating her, and seeing her eyes narrow and her brow crinkle – she looked so wonderful when angry, he couldn’t help but rib her on her most awful days.

His lady love looked a tad similar to Leighanne, if you were to go by hair colour and maybe chest size. But her eyes were different - a hazily brown colour - and her smile much bigger with pearly white teeth. He loved to see her smile even more than he loved to see her frown. Everything about her – every single inch – was beautifully wonderful to him, and he just couldn’t resist her any longer.

When the temptation had finally grown much too strong, he had confronted her and confessed his forbidden feelings, and was greatly surprised to hear her revel the secret she held was the same as his – she loved him, and wanted out of the relationship she was currently in.

They didn’t know how it happened, and they didn’t know when – all they knew and cared about was the fact they loved one another and the need to be together immediately. Though, they felt bad for hurting the ones they were currently with, but knew they’d no choice in the matter, if they were to be together and hopefully marry some day soon. They’d spent so much time together as friends, that sometimes they felt as though they were all ready married to one another. Their relationship was that strong.

Brian sighed, and startled slightly when he heard the lady he was currently dancing with speak.

“What’s wrong?” Leighanne asked, looking up at him, as she’d her head turned down.

“She’s still not here yet,” Brian sighed again.

Leighanne smiled. “Don’t worry, Bri. I’m sure she’ll show. She promised, didn’t she?”

“Yeah, but – “ Brian began, only to be cut off.

“No buts about it, Brian Thomas Littrell,” Leighanne stated firmly. “If you’re going to be with her, you’re going to have to place all your trust in her – and by doubting her right now, you’re showing you don’t trust her as much as you say you do.”

“I do trust her, Leigh, believe me,” Brian said. “I’m just worried about why she isn’t here yet – it’s past the time we agreed upon.”

“Brian, you know there could be many reasons for why she isn’t here yet – logical ones.”

“Yeah…but all the ones I’m coming up with, are making me sick to my stomach.”

Leighanne shook her head. “You always did worry too much at times.”

“Can you blame me? I mean, what with fans threatening the lives of our girlfriends and all. And I’m sure they’re never going to believe we’re all happy about this.”

“Well, then let them be unhappy about it,” Leighanne replied. “As long as we’re all happy, it doesn’t matter what the fans think – we know the truth.”

Brian smiled at the woman in his arms right then. “You always did know the right things to say when I got like this.”

“I’m sure she will be able to say the right things too,” Leighanne assured him, noticing him suddenly smile even more than before. “Ah, I presume your secret, special guest has arrived.”

Brian nodded, his eyes still on the woman who’d just entered the club they were all partying in. he looked back at Leighanne and kissed her cheek softly. “Thank-you – for everything.”

“Anytime,” Leighanne smiled, hugging him tight, though quick. “That’s what friends are for. Now, go get her tiger.”

Brian grinned big, then hurried on over to his lady love, pushing his way past anyone and everyone who got in his pay – though, he remained polite about it – he was a southern gentleman after all.

“Hey,” she smiled upon spotting him as he emerged from the sea of people before her.

“Hey,” Brian breathed softly, taking in all her beauty. “I’m glad you made it.”

“I promised, didn’t I?” She laughed. “You should know I never break promises.”

“Especially if it’s one to get back at Nick for some prank he’s pulled,” Brian chuckled, remembering the last time.

The woman smiled again, and linked her arm with his after he’d offered his arm to her. She couldn’t believe she’d finally had him at her side, after all these years. They’d known each other for about seven or eight years, because of his cousin, Kevin. Kevin had introduced them unknowingly and they’d clicked and seemed to have a wonderful relationship ever since – though, up until just recently, they’d only ever been just friends and nothing more. But, secrets were revealed and feelings were acted upon and neither of them could be happier, if you’d suddenly told them they’d one a billion dollars.

People turned to stare as Brian and his true date made their way up to the stage, where the Boys were to give a small a’cappella performance in a few minutes. They had decided this would be the perfect opportunity to announce their courtship to the world – though, fellow celebrities more than likely didn’t give a rat’s ass – but the paparazzi would definitely eat it up.

“Good evening everyone,” Brian smiled, holding tight to his lady’s hand. “I wanted to introduce everyone to my current girlfriend. Yes, I know some of you may be confused, as I came here with Leighanne, and yes, we’d been dating for quite a few years. But, sometimes things change – feelings change. Leighanne will always be a good friend, but she deserves to be loved in a way I can’t love her. And I can’t love her, because I love this gorgeous woman at my side. “

Brian pulled his new girlfriend, his one true love, forward slightly so everyone could see her better.

“Everyone, this is the love of my life, Kristin Willits.”

Note: The above photo is photoshopped - can you believe there is no photo of these two together!?!?!?