- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'd really like more reviews, but I figured I'd give ya'll this to introduce you to more of the story. R&R!

Rated R for language.
“Sarah fucking Marie!” I smiled at the familiar sound of my roommate’s voice.

“Nice to see you too, Andy,” I laughed as she threw her arms around me in a tight hug.

“God damn,” Andrea, better known as Andy, smiled and finally pulled away. “Don’t ever do that to me again, understood? I was freaking lost without your ass.” She winked and nudged me playfully as we began our walk to the luggage belt. “How was Africa? Absolutely amazing?”

“Better than amazing,” I smiled and swung my carry-on bag over my shoulder. I glanced around to see if anyone had accompanied Andrea to the airport (specifically him). I didn’t make it too obvious. “I got to work with all these homeless kids and families that were sick and needed food. It was so rewarding.”

“That’s awesome,” Andrea smiled and helped me locate my single suitcase. “I still can’t believe you survived with one suitcase.” Andrea scrunched up her nose and shook her head.

I rolled m y eyes. “It wasn’t like I had anywhere to put more clothes, anyway.” I smiled and followed her out to her black SUV. “So, anything new and exciting happen while I was gone?”

“Uh…” she paused. I frowned. “Not really.” I knew it was a lie, and that surprised me. Andrea and I had been best friends since high school, almost eleven years now. We always told each other everything. Nothing went unsaid.

“Why the hesitation, Andy?” I frowned.

“What hesitation?” She frowned and shook her head. She sighed and finally agreed to spill the beans. “Your mom is throwing a huge ‘Welcome Home’ party and I wasn’t supposed to say anything. Oops?” She giggled and I shook my head with a laugh. Somehow I didn’t fully believe Andy. Sure, my mom was always the one to throw the surprise parties but there was something else she wasn’t telling me. The way she tapped her thumb nervously on the steering wheel only partially gave the hidden secret away. I decided not to mention my suspicion and just let it go. “But promise me you’ll be surprised? Your mom really put a lot of thought into this…”

“Absolutely,” I smiled. No problem. “Where’s Carter? I thought for sure he’d come with you to the airport to pick me up.”

“Oh, uh,” again with the damn stuttering. “He’s helping your mom with the party, I think.” She mumbled and began to gnaw nervously on her thumb nail.

“Why the hell are you so nervous?” I scowled, beginning to get fairly pissed with her for lying to me. “Listen Andy, I don’t know what the hell is going on but it sure is more important than a damn surprise party if it’s getting you this nervous. You tell me everything. Now what’s up.”

“I can’t tell you, Sarah. It’s not my place,” she shook her head. “You’ll find out, I swear…oh God.” She mumbled and closed her eyes. Whatever it was, it was obviously bad.

“No one’s sick, right?” I guessed, a nauseous feeling taking over my stomach. She shook her head violently quickly fading that feeling. “Okay, good.” I sighed and glanced out the window. I loved Florida. I had really missed the Tampa air, though it wasn’t that good for you and Africa was much more beautiful with nature. There was something about the Gulf that never ceased to amaze me. Something about the ocean air.

“Promise me you won’t get hurt today,” Andrea whispered softly. I glanced over and saw tears in her eyes. A frown came over my brow as she continued. “Just, don’t ask any questions.” She closed her eyes momentarily and then went on. “Just promise?”

I swallowed a lump in my throat. My God, whatever it was, it had to be bad. And unfortunately? I had a bad feeling it had something to do with Nick Carter. That seemed to be when Andrea began to get insanely nervous. “Fine, Andy…” I sighed, giving in to her wish. “I…I promise I won’t get hurt.”

I still didn’t understand, but I figured it might be best that way. “Thank you,” she sighed in relief and continued driving. “Because you are my best friend and I love you so much.”

“I love you too,” I mumbled. Somehow my heart and brain weren’t really into it all. A smile formed over my lips as we pulled into the driveway of my parents’ house. My mom and dad were the greatest parents a girl could ask for. My mom had always been my best friend and my dad had always been my mentor. They were the couple that stayed together for true love, not because of the kids. Being the oldest of three, I recognized their love when I was young and wished deep down someday I could experience the same thing. I couldn’t help but blush when I thought about Nick and just how much he meant to me. He seemed like the perfect person to spend the rest of my life with. We had already known each other for so long. I had met Nick when he was eight and I was six. Two years apart didn’t make much of a difference with Nick Carter. I was always more mature than him, anyway.

As we parked the car and got out, Andy sighed and called after me. “Sarah, wait! I don’t want you to get hurt…” she bit her bottom lip.

“Why the hell would I get hurt, Andy?” I frowned and folded my arms across my chest. After she didn’t respond, I continued. “Listen, I don’t know what the big secret is, but it can’t be that bad. Besides, I’m too excited to care. I haven’t seen my family and friends for three months! I just want to go say hi to everyone, okay?” I tried to assure her I would be fine by placing my hand on her shoulder and giving her a small smile. “It’ll be okay.”

“Can I get that in writing?” I heard her mumble as we walked in. As soon as the door to the big white house swung open, I was blown away by a house full of people all yelling out, “SURPRISE!” I smiled.

“Sarah! Honey, we are so glad you’re home!” My mom attacked me first with a great big hug, my dad not far behind her. “How was Africa? We are so proud of you! We want all the details and to see lots and lots of pictures!” She exclaimed, not allowing me to get in a single word. I laughed.

“Africa was great,” I smiled and kissed my dad’s cheek. “I can’t believe you invited everyone over!”

“Absolutely!” My mom smiled. “Everyone was really thrilled to see you.” She smiled. “If you want, you can go upstairs and get freshened up a bit…” I had completely forgotten I hadn’t showered in three days and hadn’t really had clean clothes to wear home. No make-up, no hair. It was all a mess.

“Okay,” I smiled and hurried upstairs before anyone else saw me. After a quick shower and decided on wearing a black tube top and jean shorts, I hurried back downstairs. I really wanted to see Nick.

“Oh, here she is now,” my mom smiled from the doorway of my dad’s office where the famous Aaron Carter was standing with a cheesy grin planted on his lips. I ran my fingers through my damp wavy hair and hurried over to let him envelop me in a hug and spin me around. I squealed and watched as my mom left to entertain other guests.

“So how was Egypt?” Aaron joked and winced as I slapped his arm playfully.

“Africa?” I corrected and he shrugged as if he didn’t care. “It was absolutely amazing. I really want to go back someday.” I smiled. The question was lingering over my head. I had used Aaron more than once to get information about Nick, so what was one more time? “So, where’s that ass of a brother of yours?”

“His ass of a brother is standing right behind you,” I heard Nick clear his throat and smiled. I spun around and leaped into his arms.

“About damn time,” I mumbled in the crook of his neck. He laughed and spun me around some more. “I thought you might come to the airport with Andy to pick me up…” I playfully pouted. He seemed to be…distracted? If that was even the right word.

“I was…busy,” he shrugged and kissed my cheek gently. “Listen, Sar, there’s something I have to tell you…” he sighed and dropped his voice to a whisper. He gently grabbed my arm and pulled me to a side hallway to try and isolate ourselves. I frowned, unsure of what exactly he had to tell me. “You were gone for a really long time…” he started slowly. “And I know before we left we talked about you and me possibly being together and we agreed it would be best for us to stay the way we were and talk about it once you go back.”

“Yeah…” I frowned and folded my arms over my chest, protecting myself.

“Nick, there you are, I’ve been looking all over for you…” a tall blonde woman smiled as she approached us. “Hi!” She exclaimed when she saw me. “You must be Sarah!”

I looked back and forth between Nick and the woman. “Amanda,” Nick sighed. “This is my best friend, Sarah. Sarah, this is my fiancée, Amanda.”