- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Reviews, reviews & more reviews!!
“Sarah, I still can’t believe you fell out of the raft,” my dad tried not to snicker as we dined by the fire. I rolled my eyes and shoved a grape into my mouth.

“It’s not funny,” I shook my head and glared at my two sisters. I hadn’t spoken to them since the incident. “I really could have been hurt. No one seems to care.”

My dad shrugged. “We all know Nick would never let anything bad happen to you.” He muttered.

I sighed. “Yeah, whatever.” As soon as I finished saying what needed to be said, I heard a boom up in the sky. I was glad to be distracted by the fireworks just about to begin. I was hoping Nick wouldn’t ask what he was bound to ask.

“Are we gonna go?” He whispered.

I sighed, again. I honestly didn’t know what to do. Every year since our experience in the canoe on the water, Nick and I would disappear to the lake once more, watching the explosions of colors in the sky. “I don’t think it’s really appropriate, Nick.” I said truthfully.

“Just because I’m getting married doesn’t mean we can’t be friends!” He exclaimed. Instead of watching the fireworks, everyone seemed to be watching us. I stood up from my seat on the log and walked towards the water. I didn’t want Nick to follow me, but I didn’t know what else to do. I needed to get away from everything.

“Go back to the fire, Nick. Or go out on the water on your own. Either way, count me out of it,” I folded my arms across my chest and plopped down in the uncomfortable sand. I wiped hastily at my eyes. I wasn’t sure whether I should be mad with Nick for moving away from me so quickly or be sad that he was slipping away so quickly.

“Bear, talk to me,” he whispered and sat down next to me. “If you don’t love me then why –….”

“That’s the fucking problem, Nick!” I tried not to yell. “I’m in love with you and I don’t know what the hell to do about it. I’ve loved your ass since you kissed me in the canoe all those years ago.” I couldn’t believe I had said it. Our faces were only inches a part. I knew what was bound to happen, so I turned my head. I couldn’t look into his sea blue eyes anymore. I couldn’t see him like that anymore. “And you’re going off and leaving. Do you even know her, Nickolas? Three months? How the hell could you get to know someone in three months?”

Nick was clearly taken back by my confession and my question. He put his hand up to stop me. “Slow down, okay?” He ran his fingers through his hair. “Why couldn’t you have told me this months ago?” He sighed and shook his head.

“Because months ago I didn’t realize I had to reserve you before you moved on,” I mumbled and stood up from my place on the beach.

“Where are you going? This conversation isn’t over,” Nick scrambled to his feet and walked after me.

“Chill, I’m going to get a drink,” I sighed and pulled my hair back into a messy pony tail. “I have a feeling tonight’s going to be a long night and I’m going to need it.”

“Gee, thanks,” Nick rolled as we approached the pub on the campsite. “Love you too.” He muttered sarcastically. I spun around to say something bitchy but I stopped and shook my head. “I didn’t mean…well…I kinda did…”

“Nick, just stop,” I shook my head and approached the bar. “You don’t have to explain anything, remember?” I sighed and smiled at the bartender. “Just give me the strongest thing you’ve got.” I sighed and smiled back at Nick sarcastically. “No offense, or anything.”

“Bear,” he sighed.

“Could you stop with that nickname, for Christ’s sake?!” I sighed and nearly threw my hands in the air. Nick looked offended. “How would you like it if I started calling you Pookie or something absolutely absurd like that, huh? Better yet, how would Alexandra like it?” I tilted back the small drink the bartender had presented.

“It’s Amanda,” Nick rolled his eyes and corrected. I nearly downed the entire drink in one sip.

“It’s called the Mamba. My specialty,” the bartender winked. “You might wanna slow down.” He chuckled.

Nick grabbed my arm pulling me away from the bar. “I wasn’t done,” I tried to shake his grasp, then felt the effect of the alcohol already sinking in. “Holy shit, he wasn’t kidding.” I giggled.

“Lovely, just what I needed,” Nick sighed and put his arm around me protectively and to balance me as we made our way out of the bar. “Amanda knows how important you are to me.” He tried to explain. “You’re someone irreplaceable, Sarah.”

“Oh yeah, I’ve heard that one before,” I rolled my eyes. “And look at you now! You’re getting married!” I threw my head back once we had reached the beach. The stars and fireworks were so beautiful out here. The stars were beginning to blur – both from the liquor as well as the smoke from the fireworks.

“Sarah…” Nick sighed. He leaned down and kissed my forehead. “I know you’re probably not going to remember this tomorrow morning…but things would be different if you had confessed to me months ago that you loved me. Because I love you too.”