- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I started this story in early 2005. It's not my best writing, but I had a lot of readers on it who seemed to enjoy it very much and I'm sort of proud I got two stories out of it. The sequel Obscure Feelings was written better, in my person opinion.

"You look... good." I replied.

Which wasn't really true. It was just more of an energy-booster, trying to make her feel good. I've never seen her without makeup or her hair done.

She smiled, "Thanks. So do you, Aje."

"Where is," I tried to say until a nurse came barging in the door.

"Hiya Mom! It's diaper-changing time!" said the chirpy nurse, "And who is this?"

I grunted, I hated when people acted like they weren't in the room.

"I'm the father," I answered the question for Claire.

The nurse, wearing bright pink scrubs, looked over at Claire for reassurance. Claire nodded and smiled.

"Your daughter would love for you to hold her," the nurse smiled and held out the baby to me.

I didn't really know what I was doing. I didn't know what to do, to be honest -- I didn't really wanna hold her. I was too afraid I would drop her, or she'd cry and wouldn't like me. But the nurse was practically shoving her in my face, so I gripped onto her as best as I could. And that's when my life changed forever.

People always say how you get a brand new feeling inside of you when you become a parent, I didn't believe it until this very instant. No matter how horrible she smelled, or looked... you would always love them. I loved my daughter from the first time I layed eyes on her right then.

I leaned down and kissed her forehead as softly as I could. I was terrified I would hurt her. But she seemed comforted by me, and that was an amazing feeling.

I was interuppted in my thoughts by Claire, "So, what do you want to do?"

I was confused, "What do you mean?"

"I can't take care of her, AJ. I thought we went over this," a tear came pouring down her face, "I can't look at her or else I can't do it. I will never give her up. I don't have the income, or the time or patience. I'm not ready to be a parent. You can't take her, your on the road for months at a time..."

"How can you get rid of our child?" I was shocked she would even bring up the idea, "I mean, look at her."

"I'm not ready. She deserves better."

I was completely stunned. I didn't really know Claire very well, but I was surprised she would even do this. Me and her, we were a one night fling. She happened to get pregnant, and didn't tell me until she was 7 months along. Here I was grasping this baby, who was only a tiny bit bigger than my hand, in my arms as she nuzzled her face into my shirt. How in God's name could I ever give her up?

"I will take her."

"Huh?" Claire stopped in mid-sentence.

"I said, she's mine then. I'll take her. She's my daughter, I'm not giving her up," I stated plainly.

"AJ, how can you? How can- how can you possibly raise a child? Your still a kid yourself. You realize you can never party again, you always have to get babysitters when you leave, your on the road 24/7 and recording. Your life will be gone!"

"No! It won't! She will be my life... come on, Claire. I can do this... I know I can. I just... I can't give her up. She came from me and you. I helped make her... do you know how amazing that is? Holy shit, I mean... woah."

Claire was crying harder, "Don't you think I know that? I will never forget her, until I die. I'm not at a time in my life where I can do this right now. You know what, okay. I can't do anything about it, so she's in your custody. You fill out all the custody papers. I leave this hospital tomorrow, and I won't see you guys again."

She was now bawling. And I couldn't understand how she could be so upset and love her yet leave her and abandon her. Of course, she wasn't abandoned though because I was with her. Her daddy was here for her. I smiled, her daddy.

"Does she, uhm, have a name?"

Claire sighed, "I couldn't think of a good one. It was between Addison and Adelynn for me."

"I like Adelynn," I smiled. That way she could be called Addy or Lynn, which ever she preferred.

"Then she's little Adelynn," Claire responded sternly but then she replied, "Adelynn Alexis is pretty. And Alexis has part of your name in it."

I liked it, alot.

"Adelynn Alexis McLean."