- Text Size +
I knew the first person to call. And I did.

"Where the fuck is she?!" I screamed, not meaning to sound so angry. But how could I hide it? I was angry, my daughter was missing for God's sake.

"AJ?" the voice asked back, confused.

"YES, Claire. Me. Where is she?" I almost yelled back.

"What are you talking about? Our daughter? AJ, are you telling me you don't know where our daughter is?!"

"Now she's our daughter? No, Claire, she's my daughter. And I wanna know why the fuck you stole her back from me."

"What are you talking about?!" she yelled back at me.

"You want me to believe that someone else besides you just came into my house in the middle of the night and took her from me?" I didn't want to, but I began to cry. I was sobbing. I was crying to this woman I didn't even know.

"Oh, God, Claire... give her back to me," I was now crying even more, I could hardly get the words out. "Give her back to me. My baby, my life, my love... she's gone. Oh my God, she's gone."

It was all I could say. She was gone. Adelynn was not in my hands, and she was stolen from me. My own child! No! How could this be?

I could hear Claire sigh on the other end and then suddenly I heard, "Oh. My. God."

"What?" I asked, annoyed.

"I know who did it. I know who stole our...," she stopped, "Your daughter."

"So you WERE involved!" I screamed.

"No! God, AJ... I wouldn't do that. You should know that."

I rolled my eyes, "Really? I should know that? I should know that when I don't even know YOU! Claire, I don't know you. I don't know your favorite food, favorite kind of clothes, your life, I don't know shit about you! So really, it could've been you. For all I know, your a compulsive liar!"

"Oh, I see how your gonna be. I was going to tell you it was probably my mother."

"Your mother?!" I was shocked, "Why the hell would your mother do it? Claire, just get her back to me!"

"My mom and me have been fighting. She thinks I should've been there for raising my child."

You should've, I thought.

"And she thinks... she thinks you can't. She has this thing against men, and you... with your tattoos and everything, I guess you - well, intimidate her."

"So she steals my child?!" You have got to be kidding me.

"AJ, I'll help you, okay? I'll get to the bottom of this. I'm... sorry? I guess. I don't know what to say."

"There's nothing you can say. But you better get my daughter back to me today... I'm not sitting around this house any longer. Waiting and waiting, and thinking about her. Wondering where she is, and staring at her empty room. Get her the fuck back to me, or there will be lawsuits. I've already spoken to my lawyer and everyones on the lookout for her. Except me, God damnit."

"I'll help. Is all I can say."

Click.

How can you end a conversation like THAT? I continued sitting on the couch, my foot constantly tapping. I took a deep breath in and out. How could this happen? It was because of my career, because my look. I never imagined the way I looked would lose me my daughter? What does that have to do with anything?

I have tattoos, does that mean I don't love my daughter? She's the center of my life, sometimes too much. All I do is think about her. I would die for her. And that has never happened in my life. I've never had a love so strong, and never felt like someone was so dependent on me before. It was a nice break from being dependant on everyone else. Now, someone needed me.

And I needed her right now, and she wasn't here.

My little girl... what if I never saw her again? That bitch better not lay a finger on her. I wouldn't have had a problem letting Claire see her, but she didn't want to. Her mother didn't have anything to do with this. How did she get into my house? Why didn't my alarm go off? Had I not set it?

My mind was racing, and my thoughts weren't clear. I just needed my daughter back safe in my arms. Is that so much to ask?