- Text Size +
I looked in the mirror and groaned. Now I really hadn't slept in days. My beard had completely turned into just thick pieces of hair all around my face. I looked skinny and bony, and my eyes were completely dull.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to see Kevin. I smiled as best as I could.

"AJ, get yourself clean. Hop in the shower, shave... you should try to get some rest, too," he told me.

"I know," was all I could say back. It was because I did know all that, I just didn't want to. I was so weak everywhere, I had no energy.

"What if-"

"I'll sit by the phone," Kevin answered before I even finished my question.

I sighed. Why'd he have to do this to me?

"Alright, but get outta the bathroom, wouldya?" I tried to crack a smile, no matter how upset I was.

Kevin returned the smile and walked out of the bathroom. I locked the door behind me, and started the shower water.

I closed my eyes and let the water collide with my face. I took in a deep breath, she was going to be back. I knew she would.

Once I got out, I wrapped a towel around my waist and took out my razor. I carefully slid it against my face, trimming my goatee and making it look decent once again. Satisfied with what I had done, I placed the razor back in the bathroom cabinet.

I looked at myself once again, and realized I looked a little better. Just a little.

Fuck Claire.

It came into my head randomly, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. How could she do this to me? How could she steal my daughter? If she needed money that bad, I would've given her some. We didn't need to go through this.

I would now always feel much more for the missing children you see on milk cartons, and posters. I can never look at them the same. What if Adelynn was on those posters one day?

NO, she wouldn't be though.

Suddenly, it hit me. Today was Tuesday, the day before Detective Joe promised he'd get her back to me. I just silently shook my head.

By the time I walked downstairs, I noticed all the guys were here except Howie. Brian must've just gotten there, while I was in the shower. He walked up to me, but he didn't smile like the usual Brian, he just gave me a strong hug and then released.

"I'm so sorry," was all he could say.

"Me too," I replied back.

I could tell Brian was really, truly worried. Maybe he was the only one who really understood, since he had a kid himself.

"Where's Howie?" I asked.

"He's on his way," Kevin spoke up, "He just called not too long ago, and said his flight got delayed. He's still in Orlando. He's coming as quick as he can. He's really worried about you."

I just nodded.

"I brought your mail in for you," Nick pointed to the pile on the table, "Trying to do a good deed."

"Thanks," I walked over and picked all the papers up.

Junk, I thought, more junk... as I went through the scattered papers and magazines. Then I stopped. I just stared at the issue of People magazine.

We were on the cover. The picture of me and Adelynn got put on the cover. I looked at my face -- look how happy I was. That was the biggest smile I've ever seen on me.

And look at her face. Look her little chubby, rosy cheeks and her dark, curly hair. That was my baby.

I could feel everybody's eyes staring at me. Nobody knew what to do or say. Hell, I didn't. I was confused so much, and I didn't know if I had any tears left even if I wanted to cry.

My cellphone began to ring.

"Hello? Joe?" I asked, instinctively knowing it was him.

"We've got Adelynn."

My heart dropped down to my knees, and my shoulders loosened up as the weight was lifted. Is she okay? I wondered.