- Text Size +
I watched Adelynn giggle, her whole body seemed to rumble with laughter. Nick was making faces at her and she was getting a kick out of it.

Everybody was at my house when I brought her home. My mom had come back, and Howie had finally made it and his plane was on time. I was happy they were all there to show their support, for me and for Adelynn. She loved them. I was just glad she was back.

I smiled when I heard the song on the radio, I leaned over and turned the volume up.

All I have
And all I do
Cannot compare
To the love of you

This was my song to her. I sung it to her occasionally before putting her to bed. Well, before the incident, I did.

You make me feel alive
You are my highest high
All I can do is smile
When I look in my little girl's eyes

I watched Adelynn as I hummed along. Everybody was seated around the floor, as she sat in the middle on her blanket which was full of baby toys. She was hamming it up and had everybody laughing.

You're my star
And when I'm far
You're not alone
'Cause your heart's my home

I went over to join everybody else on the floor, I layed down on my stomach so I could be at Adelynn's level. She smiled right when she saw me, and I did the same. Kevin patted my back and grinned at me, "She's so cute, J."

You are my biggest prize
So beautiful and so wise
I can see the woman from within my child
When I look in my little girl's eyes

Everybody left after a couple of hours, going back to their own families. I told them all I was fine, as long as Adelynn was here with me now.

I began to carry her upstairs with me, and she softly laid her head on my shoulder. I tried to walk as slowly as possible and help her go to sleep but her eyes still managed to stay open. I tip-toed into my bedroom. "Your too cute," I sighed, and noticed her eyes were heavy. She must be exhausted. She's had a long couple of days.

I couldn't help but wonder... what happened to her? How was she treated? Did that man ever hurt her? Oh, it made me go crazy inside. I wanted to go and shoot Claire and the man for doing this. Putting me through this -- I didn't deserve it. I'm raising our child, how dare she?

I was going to try and not let it bother me. All I cared about was Adelynn, and I had made that promise the day she was born.

I layed her in her crib, which was now placed in my room. Not forever... but just until I felt safe enough again. She was going to be right with me.

I kissed the top of her head softly and layed her into the crib.

I couldn't stop staring at her, though. She was back with me, and would be forever. I had to raise this little girl by myself.

I laughed to myself, what happens when she gets her first boyfriend? I won't be ready for that. What about when she's old enough to understand that she has no mommy? Just a daddy? I looked down at her once again, before smiling one last time before going to bed.

You make me feel alive
And you are my highest high
All I want to do when I come into the room is see her smile
When I look in my little girl's eyes

I crawled under the warm covers and peeked over at the sleeping baby, then began to close my eyes. Finally - a good night sleep.

When I look in my little girl's eyes