- Text Size +

For a while, I sat there staring at her. I was thinking, what the hell am I gonna do? I never thought I would be raising a child by myself. I always thought it wouldn't be like this... I had always had this whole dream in my mind where eventually in my 30's, I would settle down, get married and have kids. I never thought I'd meet a woman in a bar, take her home and get her pregnant and be stuck with the outcome.

Right now though, I was enjoying it with my life. Having this little piece of me. I had just brought her home from the hospital this morning, and I realized how hard this was gonna be. I didn't really know how I was going to do this, but I had to have hope.

I heard the front door start to open and looked to see Nick. I stood up, holding Adelynn in my arms. She was so tiny. 7 pounds, 2 ounces, it still amazed me. Nick saw me and looked shocked.

"Dude, what are you doing? You babysitting for someone?" Nick asked.

"Nick, I wanna introduce you to my daughter...," I told him.

I had told all the guys that Claire was pregnant, but everybody thought she was getting an abortion. They never knew how far along she was, because I didn't tell them.

"Huh?" Nick was so confused.

"Adelynn, this is your Uncle Nicky," I pointed to Nick and whispered to Adelynn, "Call him Nicky, he hates it."

"Shut up, man!" Nick shouted, "This is your daughter? I thought... I mean, I thought she was getting a, you know."

"Well, she was gonna give her up for adoption. I saw her and couldn't imagine not seeing her again... it was the most amazing thing. It was...," I was starting to ramble but I didn't care. I know Nick didn't know or understand what I was talking about but it was okay.

"Claire's not going to be in the picture, Nick. She doesn't want to be. Addy's all mine," I replied, proudly.

"Are you serious? Wow. Congrats, man. That's awesome. Do the other guys know?"

"Not yet. I'm keeping her pretty secret right now. She doesn't need to be exposed to the business yet... so young."

Adelynn started squirming in my arm, and all the sudden her mouth opened and she started wailing. I was completely clueless. She was probably hungry, right?

"Nick, do me a favor... take her," I handed her over to Nick.

"I don't know what to do!" Nick screetched as I ran into the kitchen to try and heat up a bottle. The nurse had explained it to me a little bit, but I didn't know it would be this hard.

I picked up the bottle of formula and read the side package. Adelynn's screaming could still be heard from the next room. I poured some of the formula into the bottle and stuck it in the microwave for 30 seconds. I didn't know if that was long enough, or too long for that matter but as long as it would make her shut up. I grabbed the bottle and ran back out and handed Nick the bottle.

"You expect ME to do this? Yeah right... you take her," Nick handed her back to me.

I rolled my eyes. He could be such a baby.

"Your worse than Addy," I took her back into my arms and held the bottle up to her mouth.

She started to drink it and I smiled. I had been doing a lot of that lately, she was just too cute. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Nick was staring at me.

"What?"

Nick grinned, "That's kinda cute, J. She's so tiny... your really gonna do this."

"I can do it," I replied, kind of offended that he thought I couldn't.

"I know. It's just kinda weird, you know? But a cool weird, I guess."

I just smiled, "Yeah. It is weird."

It was weird but it was so amazing. I didn't know how I was going to do it, but I was going to. I could always bring a baby on the road with me, right? I'm not gonna quit my job - my life, for her. I could work around it, couldn't I?