- Text Size +
"THANK YOU AND GOODNIIIGHHHTT!" I shouted through the microphone to the screaming crowd.

We all ran off the stage as quickly as possible. I was sweating and panting like a dog when I said, "That was a good show, guys."

"Did you see the reaction of the audience?!" Nick replied, all excited and AJ couldn't help but see the 12 year old boy that he had met 12 years before.

"That was awesome!"

You could hear everybody trying to talk at once, except me. I was just trying to sink it all in... I couldn't believe we were back, sometimes. I couldn't believe it was my fault for the break in the first place. Ah, whatever, everythings under the bridge now.

"You going back to the hotel? I asked, looking at Brian.

"Yeah, me and Kevin are. You know Nick and Howie, they aren't," Brian laughed.

"I'm going back..."

"No your not!" Nick interuppted, "Your coming out with us!"

I rolled my eyes and lit up a cigarette, "Here we go..."

"Come on! Why not?! You should!"

"Why Nick?! Why do you want me to go out? So you can hook me up with another chick? 'Cause you know, your damn good at that. Shoving a girl in my face, then running away, then I end up taking her home! You know...," I was yelling now, I didn't mean to start yelling. "Your the one who always gets me in trouble! You know that?!"

Nick looked upset, and he just turned his head, and patted Howie's shoulder, "Let's go, man."

Shit. Shit. Why did I just go off on him?! It wasn't his fault.

"Nick!" I yelled.

"Fuck you, man. I'm just trying to give you a life!"

He continued to walk away.

"Nick! Come here, I'm sorry. I'll go party with you."

But by then, he was already out the door. I looked at Brian and he shrugged, "He'll get over it."

"Brian, you know what Nick does when this kinda shit happens! We can't just let him go out. He's gonna get fucking wasted, get another DUI... I can't believe I just flipped out on him."

"AJ, there's nothing you can do," Kevin spoke up, "You know Nick, there's no getting through to him."

"I'm going out to find him."

Brian sighed, "AJ, your gonna get yourself in trouble. Just stay here. Howie's with him, he knows... he'll keep an eye on him."

"Alright, alright, I'll stay."

We each got settled into our own hotel rooms.

I layed in the hotel bed, staring at the ceiling, not able to go to sleep and bored out of my mind. That made me feel worse for not going out to the bars with Nick, because I would've had a much better time. It was just hard for me, and Nick didn't understand that. It was hard to see him plastered and everyone around me but I still couldn't drink.

I knew myself... and I couldn't just have one. I'd be back in rehab, and I was living a good non-drinking life with no drugs. I was the happiest I had ever been.

I should call and check on Adelynn. I rolled over to reach the phone on the nightstand. I dialed the familiar home numbers, hoping Dana was near a phone so she would answer. That way I wouldn't be worried.

"Hello?"

Thank God.

"It's AJ. How's Addy?" I asked.

"She's wonderful. I think she misses you, she always points to the picture of you and her on her dresser."

I smiled, "Aww, well you tell her that Daddy's picking her up in two days and she can be on the road with me and her uncles. And I love her. Not like she's gonna understand but..." I laughed.

"I'll be sure to tell her."

"Thanks, Dana. I'll check in tomorrow again."

"Bye bye."

Good, she was okay and safe. It made me feel better. Now I just had to worry about Nick, my other child, I laughed.

I really hope he was gonna be okay, though. Then I heard someone knocking on my door. Who the hell was here now?

I opened it but I kept the chainlinks on the top of the door together and looked through the crack. I was shocked when I saw who it was.

NICK, I screamed at him in the back of my mind, and made a self-reminder to kick his ass.