- Text Size +
"Mom, is that you?" I asked.

I thought I had heard my door knocking. I was just relaxing in my shorts laying on my bed, with the damp light turned on, flipping through the latest People magazine. I was impatiently waiting for my mom to arrive with Adelynn.

I stood up to go answer the door and was greeted with Adelynn's smiling baby face. I grinned from ear to ear and took her from my mom, "Heyyy baby!"

I kissed her face all over and she was giggling. Then I leaned over and kissed my mom on the cheek, "Thanks, mom."

"It's worth the traveling to see you this happy," she gave me a hug.

"How was Adelynn on the plane?" I asked.

"She slept most the time, so she was good."

"Aww, that's my girl. I missed Daddy's Addy," I kissed her cheek. Daddy's Addy, that was good... I had just made up a new nickname for her. I laughed, "Daddy's Addy."

"Come on in, mom. If you hold Adelynn again, I'll get all your stuff."

"That's okay, hun. It's on it's way up. The bus boy took it and said he'd bring it to your room."

"Your good, mom," I smiled.

I closed the hotel door and set Addy down on the floor. She liked to sit up by herself now.

"She looks so much bigger."

"Does she?" my mom laughed.

"She really does," I stared at her for a minute, "A week is a long time."

I layed down on my stomach and plopped myself on the floor next to her. She grinned and made some baby noises. I tickled her little belly and she laughed.

"How's the tour coming along?" my mom asked, and I looked up at her.

"Good.. it's fun. It's fun again, and the fans are still crazy."

We both kinda laughed and I turned my attention back to Adelynn. She was so cute, I still some days couldn't get over that she was mine.

"Did you give Dana that check I left her?"

"Yeah, I told her she could go home for the next couple of weeks while Adelynn's on the road with us."

"Cool," I looked away for a moment, "Do you think she's too young to watch the show? I want her to see what her daddy does."

"She is pretty little, still. Maybe I could hold her backstage, she'll still see you from the side of the stage."

I nodded, "That could work."

She started clapping her hands, and I laughed. I kissed her cheek once again and rubbed my hands on her cheeks.

_______________________________


I could see her out of the corner of my eyes the whole show, and I think it made an even better show, because I was at the top of my game. I don't know why, but I felt like it needed to be good for my little girl's eyes. I was singing my best, dancing my best, performing my best. As if it were my last show.

Every couple of minutes, I would turn my head to the side and wink at them.

During our little time to talk to the fans, I said that my daughter was here watching tonight from the side of the stage, so give a loud scream.

They screamed so fucking loud. I smiled.

I could definitely make this work. Being a single dad and still have a career -- it could definitely work. It was something I never even imagined trying but it was happening right now and I, sometimes, still couldn't grasp onto the fact that I was the caretaker of this little angel put into my life.