- Text Size +
This was the perfect image.

I stared at my backyard and at the pretty picture it painted in my mind. There was Howie, gripping onto Adelynn tightly, as he held her in the pool. Baylee had decided to jump into the pool all by himself, with his floaties on his arms and Nick was assisting him trying to teach him how to 'fly.' Brian and Leighanne got to sit together under the umbrella at the picnic table. Yeah, this was a perfect image.

I never wanted anything to ruin it. Thoughts would come to my mind sometimes that Claire would end up coming back in the picture. I always watched Adelynn like a hawk, in case of anything. I couldn't lose my baby ever again. She was the only thing that made my life complete.

"Yo, guy over there in la la land, are we ever gonna get our drinks?" I snapped out of my thoughts and saw Brian grinning. Looking down at the drinks in my hands, I began to walk over to the table.

"You wanted a Ginger Ale right, Leigh?" I asked.

"That's fine, thank you, AJ," she accepted the drink out of my hand.

"Here's yours, Rok," I handed him a can of Coke.

"Oh, so she gets the cup with ice, you give me the warm can," Brian laughed.

"Yeah, well, you know where the cups and ice are... go get it yourself," I joked and Leighanne laughed along.

"He just loves me more...," Leighanne playfully slapped her husband.

"Got that right," I told them.

"Yo AJ?!" I heard Nick calling my name from the pool.

"What?!" I yelled back, and began to walk closer to the pool so I could hear him better.

"Where's my drink?" Nick joked.

"In the freezer in the garage," I laughed.

"Ohh man... no service in this damn house."

"I'm kidding. I'll go get you one... what you want?"

"Got any Mountain Dew?"

"Yeah," I started to head off before looking at Adelynn and Howie.

"You okay with her, man?" I asked, before going to get Nick's drink.

"I'm fine... I'm holding tight."

"I didn't mean like that... I trust you..."

Howie smiled, "Go get Nick's drink."

I could get the vibe from people that they were worried. Like, they felt unsafe because I kept such a close eye on her. They felt I didn't trust them. Which I did, completely, trust them. I just liked to be there and didn't like to leave her alone, anything could happen at any time. That's the way I thought of it.

I searched through the refridgerator looking for a Mountain Dew. Must be all out. I shrugged and grabbed a Sprite, then closed the door behind me.

Was I really that bad? Was I that overprotective? I was just trying to do the best job... I wasn't trying to be a prick or a dad you love to hate.

By the time I got back there, Howie had taken Adelynn out of the pool. Nick still stayed in playing with Baylee, who was having a great time. His long, curly hair was drenched and it reached his back when it was wet.

"Aww... baby girl all done in the pool?" I looked at her, and made a baby face.

"Actually, Uncle Howie was," he laughed.

I took Adelynn from Howie's arms and into my own.

I walked down the pool stairs with her and eventually into the shallow end. I swooshed her down so her belly glided against the water and she was giggling, I could feel the rumble in her stomach underneath my hands. I laughed with her and gave her kisses all over.

We turned right in time to see Baylee go flying in the air, Nick had thrown him up and then he landed with a big splash.

"Did you see Baylee, honey?" I smiled, looking down at her facial expression.

Then all the sudden, another big splash landed in the pool.

"Daddy!" screamed Baylee with excitement, as he tried his best to swim in his floaties over to his father.

"Hey, buddy," Brian picked him up and flew him on his shoulders.

I smiled. I hoped everything would last like this.