- Text Size +
I stood on the balcony, overlooking the beach, exhaling out puffs of smoke. It was definitely very peaceful up here. I had told Brian to take the kids to the beach, I'd meet them down there.

I made myself a seat and sat down on the cemet, taking in my needed cigarette. I never smoked around Adelynn, so I was usually left with only one smoke a day.

I could see Brian holding Adelynn down on the beach from up here. Baylee had already run to the ocean water. I chuckled when I saw Adelynn fall down in the sand.

The beach was pretty crowded... there was a lot of people set up down there on the sunny day. You could see all the kids in the water, and the waves would crash and make them fall down. Then they'd get back up and do it again.

The adults were all sitting under their umbrellas, or laying on the towel getting a suntan.

Was that a baby crying?

My attention focused back to Adelynn... it was her. I squinted my eyes to see them better from my 6th floor balcony. Was that blood?

I quickly smashed my cigarette into the ground and stomped on it, without even closing the door. I ran out of the hotel room and down the hall to the elevators. Fuck. Fuck. What could've happened to her?

Fucking elevator, it's going to slow. I impatiently tapped my foot. Ugh, screw this! I ran over to the door leading to the stairway and ran down six sets of stairs. I saw Brian, he looked terrified. He was holding Adelynn in a towel, rocking back and forth as peaceful as he could, but he was shaking, saying over and over again, "Shhh."

I ran over to her, "What happened?!"

"She...," Brian breathed heavily. He had probably run over here. "She got hit... with a baseball. Aje, it was a real baseball. It hit her hard."

"Who's the fucking prick that threw it?!" I yelled.

"They were little kids. The boy was like 10."

"I don't care! Your not supposed to be throwing fucking 90 mile an hour pitches on a beach with kids! Where the hell were the lifeguards?" Adelynn was still screaming. I took her carefully from Brian and held her head in my hand.

"We gotta take her to a hospital or something...," Brian looked at me.

"I'm going right now," I began to jog to my car and yelled back at Brian, "Go get Baylee off the beach and meet me at the nearest hospital! I gotta find one!"

I felt horrible for her... I didn't even want to put her in a carseat. I can't do that to her. Fuck, I turned around and yelled, "Brian!"

"I want you and Baylee to ride with me! You can hold her in the back!" I yelled and Brian nodded and began running to get Baylee.

He appeared back within a minute.

"Daddy, what's going on?" Baylee asked.

"Addy's hurt, get in the car!" he semi-yelled.

"I'll drive, you sit in the back with her," Brian exclaimed and I jumped into the backseat to comfort her.

"Shhh... oh, my poor baby," I held her tightly as she continued screaming.

I took a peek at her face, it didn't look good. It was already all bruised and purple, it looked like the whole left side of her face. She had bit her tounge in the process, that was what had been bleeding.

I wanted to cry watching her cry.

This wasn't supposed to happen... we just fuckin' got here. How could something so bad happen? I wanted Adelynn to have a good time, not get hurt and end up driving to the hospital.

I saw the hospital and Brian turned the corner quickly. I jumped out of the car as quick as I could with Adelynn in my arms, still wrapped up in a towel. She was probably freezing cold, she was still in her bathing suit. So was I.

I jogged over to the front desk, I was clearly out of breath, "We need your help."

"Sir, shirts are required. This is a germ-free environment."

I rolled my eyes, "My daughter got nailed in the side of the face with a baseball on the beach... I don't think I was even thinking of my shirt. Please... just do something."

"We're very busy today in the hospital... I'll get the nearest doctor."

"Thank you," I gritted through my teeth.

Why did receptionists have to be such bitchy people?