- Text Size +
Adelynn was still screaming and crying, as she layed on the doctors table, and he was examining her left cheek that had been hit. He kept making weird faces as he looked at the x-rays. He was scaring me.

"How does it look?" I asked, not really wanting to hear what he had to say.

"Mr. McLean, I'm honestly not sure. It looks like a fracture to me, and if it doesn't heal soon enough you may need surgery."

I put my head in my hands and ran my fingers through my hair, trying to think straight.

"It might be broken?" I stared at Adelynn on the table, in disbelief that this could happen to her.

"Possibly. It's too soon to tell. I understand your on vacation right now?" he asked.

"That's right."

"We'd like to keep her here for a night atleast. So she can be on constant watch, and we'll give her pain medication to stop the crying and she'll be able to get some sleep."

I took a deep breath, "I'm not leaving here. Atleast not by herself... I'll stay with her."

"Are you sure, Mr. McLean? I can assure you she'll be in good hands, and you may get some rest as well."

"Positive, thanks," I stood up and shook his hand, "Just get her better."

"We'll be moving her to Room 314."

"Thank you," I replied, "I'm going to tell my friend he can leave, he's been in the waiting room."

The doctor nodded, "You can come up to Room 314 when your finished."

I walked out into the waiting room.

"Baylee, Baylee, Baylee," Brian was yelling at him over and over, "Sit down, Baylee. Listen to Daddy."

I chuckled and he turned around and looked at me, "How is she?"

"Might have a fractured cheekbone," I sighed and shook my head.

"It's that bad?"

I just nodded, "They want to keep her overnight. I'm not leaving her, so you can go back to the hotel with Baylee."

"Are you gonna be okay? I don't just want to leave you here."

"I'll be fine," I replied, "It's Adelynn I'm worried about."

"I'll be back in the morning," Brian gave me a quick hug and he was on his way.

I hope she was going to be okay, I sighed and headed towards the elevators.

_______________

My arms were hanging off the small hospital chair as I tried to go back to sleep, my legs stretched over the side of it. My neck was killing me from hanging with nothing to lean on. I snored a couple of times until I felt something on my face. I scooted over a little bit and BOOM, before I knew it I was on the floor.

I jumped up out of my half-sleep, "What?!"

I opened my eyes and rubbed my head. Shit, that hurt. I looked over and saw Brian cracking up.

"What are you laughing at?" I asked, in a groggy, tired voice.

"You! You looked funny, you were snoring away and then boom, you were on the floor. Oh, and that was Baylee that tickled your nose."

I looked and saw Baylee grinning, he had stolen my chair.

I poked his belly, "Your silly."

Then my attention went back to Adelynn, laying on the hospital bed. I half heartidly smiled at her, and rubbed her little head. The poor thing had a big bruise on the side of her face, but luckily she was fast asleep from the pain medication she was on.

"How's she doing?" Brian asked.

"Ok, I guess. Haven't heard a peep from her... she's not in pain right now. That's all I care about."

"This place needs some light," Brian walked over and opened up all the blinds.

I squinted, "Jesus, Rok... you trying to blind me?"

"If that's what you want," he shrugged and grinned.

I pulled the chair up closer to the hospital bed and stared at her for a few moments.

"I just want her to be alright, you know? I didn't want this happening," I sighed.

"I know," he placed a hand on my shoulder, "Everything will be fine."

"I hope so."