- Text Size +
I watched the police officers search my house in disbelief. It was almost humorous because they were wasting their time, looking through every corner of the house when there was nothing here. I held on to Adelynn in my arms most of the time, and tried to act as if they were not here. I had to for Addy... she was hungry and I had to cook her something. Whether people were searching my house or not.

How can they accuse me of this? I was so taken back. I couldn't believe Claire was dead. As much as I disrespected her... she was my daughter's mother and nothing could change that.

"What happened to her face?" I turned around and saw Detective Joe Turner.

"We were at the beach on vacation and she got hit with a baseball. Scared the hell outta me... the doctor told me she might've had a broken face. Ended up sleeping in the hospital chair, falling out of it, and him telling me everything was fine," I semi-chuckled.

He just smiled a little, "Sorry to hear about that."

"My friend Brian, you remember him, don't you?" Joe Turner just nodded and I continued, "Him and his son went with us, they're still there."

Another officer came up to Joe, interuppting our conversation. I saw Joe nod and take the sheet of paper out of his hands.

"House is cleared. Nothing was found."

I just shrugged and smiled, "I told you. You know better than that."

He began to speak but I finished for him, "I know, I know... you were just doing your job."

He stuck his hand out to me and I shook it, "Thanks."

All the cops had began to leave out the front door and Adelynn watched in amazement. I don't think she realized how many people were actually in her house. And with all their uniforms, equiptment and guns... she was interested.

Once all the cops were out, Joe Turner was the last one left. He was talking on his cellphone, pacing back and forth in his business suit. Finally, he shut off his phone and looked at me.

"They want money," he sighed.

"Who? What?" I placed Adelynn on her mat on the floor.

"Claire's family wants money from you. For funeral costs and such."

"What the fuck? Well give it to them. If it will make everybody leave me alone and make them happy... give them the damn money."

"Your serious?" he cocked his eyebrow, "Your not gonna put up a fight?"

I shrugged, "Honestly, I'm sick of all this law shit. I'm done. Give them the money. How much they want?"

"1 million."

"1 million bucks?" I laughed and rolled my eyes, "Riiight... like that's how much a funeral costs. You be sure to tell them I'll make a compromise. I'll pay off all the funeral costs."

He looked stunned, "If that's what you want, McLean."

"It's what I want. It's for my daughter, it's her mom. When she grows up I want her to know I tried to make her mommy happy and I did everything I could."

Joe nodded and rubbed his bald head.

"Alright, sir. I'll be leaving to get all this organized and set in stone. All you'll need to do is sign something agreeing to the payment. We'll get all this worked out, and I'll talk to you in the following days, I guess."

"Okay. Thanks, Turner. For everything, I mean... you found my little girl for me. I'll remember that for the rest of my life."

"Your welcome," he smiled and headed out the door.

I smiled to myself. I think everything was going to be okay. My life was going to turn out right. After all I had been through, it was finally beginning to just come into place. Everything would be okay as long as I had my little girl by my side.

I looked at her, chewing on one of her plastic toys and smiled. She was the one that had made everything better. Made everything complete.

When I had heard I had gotten Claire pregnant, I thought, there goes my life. But now I knew... my life hadn't even begun yet. I had become a different person when I became a dad. I was still stubborn and still a smart ass... certain things like that would never change. But I had become more loving and caring, and more thankful for everyday that I have.

No matter what happens, me and her will stick together. She'll be like my little partner in crime. My little girl.