- Text Size +

I stepped into my house, and just took a deep breath of air. It felt so good to be home. I plopped my two suitcases down that I had in both my hands and I looked behind me and saw my mom with Adelynn in her arms.

She was now sitting up better when you held her. You didn't have to carry her like you were cradling her anymore, you could put your arm around her butt and just prop her head up a little, and she had it. She was still a tiny baby though. She had already gained around 8 pounds since she was born.

I leaned over towards my mom, "I'll take her."

Her eyes were wide open and she smiled the biggest smile I had ever seen. I loved her little personality that was coming out now.

I had kept the poor thing on the road with me for a month and a half, it was finally good to be home so I could try and raise her normally. Try to find out what it's really like.

I brought into the living room and placed her in the baby swing that I had set up for her before we had left. My arms were killing me from holding her so much, she was definitely a workout.

"Mom, I know your exhausted, you can go if you want," I told her.

"I won't if you don't want me to... I know you need some help."

"Mom, I'll be okay. I think me and her need some time alone."

"Okay, I'll go home and get some rest. You call me if you need anything."

She leaned over and kissed my cheek, and soon enough she was headed out the door.

I sighed and looked over at Adelynn. She looked uncomfortable, all scrunched up in her swing. But she seemed to enjoy it.

She tried to lift her head up, with no luck. I chuckled.

"Daddy'll get ya, baby," I picked her up and I let her rest her head on my shoulder.

"Your daddy's a mess right now, you know that? All because your mommy. But you don't know your mommy... you don't know the woman who gave birth to you."

I stoked her tiny back a little bit and just kept talking.

"You'll be okay, though. I think you'll do just fine being raised by your old man. You know why? 'Cause I'm gonna be the best daddy in the world. I'll be one of those cool dads, don't you worry."

I heard her let out a tiny sigh which made me chuckle some more.

"Your a character, you know that?" I told her, even though I knew she wasn't listening.

She may have been listening, though. You never know.

"Me and you are on our own now. No more Uncle Nicky to help, or Uncle Brian, Howie or Kevin. You'll still see them a lot though, don't worry. And grandma."

I noticed I was swaying back and forth.

I could hear my cellphone start to ring and I groaned. I walked over to the kitchen counter and help Adelynn in my one arm while I picked up the cellphone in the other.

"Hello?"

"Long time, no talk," I heard Brian laugh.

"You ever gonna leave me alone?" I joked.

"Nah, man. Johnny told me to call all you guys and tell you in 2 weeks we're supposed to make an appearance at the Star Party in Minnesota."

"Are you serious?!"

"Yep. Sorry, man. I know you were looking forward to some time."

I sighed, "It's all good, though. You'll know we'll have fun once we get there, I guess."

I could hear crying in the background.

"Aje, I gotta go. Baylee's screaming in my ear. Talk later."

I shook my head, so that was what I was going to have to listen to for the next five years? Screaming, whining, crying... nah, my baby wouldn't be like that. Not my little girl.