- Text Size +
Meanwhile...

When Nick stepped into his house, he walked right into a giant mess. He was running around trying to clean the house up when someone said “Whoa check it out Nicky is actually cleaning” joked one of Nick’s friends.
“Hey Brian. How are ya?”

“Good so are your parents coming home tonight?” asked his friend Alex.

“Nah, not for another week, and before you ask I’m cleaning cause my new neighbor is coming over and we’re ordering pizza.”

“Ohhh” they both said.

“Either start helping or leave. She’ll be here in half a hour” Nick told them.

“I knew he wouldn’t clean unless it was over a girl”

“Shut up Bone!!” Nick said.

Both Brian and Alex started laughing and Nick blushed. The 3 boys finished cleaning right at 7:30. It was 7:31 and she wasn’t there.

It was 7:37 and she still wasn’t there.

It was 7:45 and she still wasn’t there.

“Maybe she forgot” said Brian.

“Or she could’ve thought 8:00 instead...” offered Alex.

“Or she...” Nick started before the doorbell interrupted him.

It was Jess...

“Jess I thought you weren’t coming.” He stopped when he saw her tearstained face. “What’s wrong is everything okay?” He asked with concern written all over his face.

“Nick I’m sorry I’m late” she choked out.

He enveloped her into a hug, she didn’t even notice that there were two other boys there too. They looked at Nick and mouthed that they were leaving and to call them later, they quickly slipped out the front door without being noticed.

“What’s wrong?” he asked leading her over to the couch.

“Nothing it’s...it’s stupid” she said wiping at her eyes.

“Try me” he said with his arm still wrapped around her.

“My mom was supposed to be home tonight and she won’t be home for another week.”

“I’m sorry. If you feel uncomfortable staying at home by yourself for that long then you can stay here. My parents won’t mind.”

“Thanks but that’s not it.” she regretted the words the moment they escaped her lips.

“Well, What is it? Can I help in any way?”

She couldn’t tell him what was really going on because he couldn’t know. So she had to lie at least partially.

“Well ever since my dad left us when I was little, my mom and I always do something special together. It was supposed to be tomorrow because it was going to be her first day off in a long time.” she said in a rush.

“I’m sorry”

“There’s nothing to be sorry about”

“Are you still hungry?”

“Yea a little. You?”

“Same. Do you want a sandwich?”

“Yea that’s fine.”

“What kind do you want? We’ve got ham, turkey, and bologna.”

“Bologna and mayo please.”

“Sure coming right up my dear” she smiled.

They sat there ate and made small talk about the things they liked to do, all of the things that they wished to do, and what she was going to do after graduation. He was a year older, so he graduated the year before.
Before they knew it, it was 10:30 and Jess needed to go home. She said bye to Nick and gave him a hug. Before she left he gave her his number in case she’d need anything.