- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow another chapter sweet! I'm just seriously inspired with this one lately. I hope ya'll enjoy and reviews make me happy hehe! lol Thanks for all of them so far! Ya'll rock.
Chapter Two: Confusion Reigns




“You fucking pussy!” AJ remarked cackling at me.




I rolled my eyes at him for not listening. “Dude she was sending me the signals, grinning, the whole leg brush thing.”




“But dude a day date? Call her and move the date to tonight and no matter what kiss her.”




I sigh at him and just shake my head; “You’re an idiot you stole that from Just Friends.”




“Yeah but it’s fucking true, you’re on a path to becoming this sexless object to her that she’ll have NO intention of fucking…ever!” He reasoned.




I shook my head, not really wanting to buy into that whole bullshit why can’t lunch be a date? I mean it’s not like I’ve had lunch with a girl and it turned out badly before. At least that’s what it’s like in LA. Doing lunch and then getting laid is a common occurrence out there. So why should New York be any different?




I turned my attention to Brian, “So how’d you snag Leigh?”




He smirked, “I was just myself with her.”




I inwardly groaned, yeah Brian’s a freakin’ nice guy and he’s got the humor thing for him. Me…well I am a major dork. Hell I watch Star Wars over and over….




And….I have a lightsaber…pretty fucking dorky I think but that’s me and HELLO I had a beany baby collection. Don’t get much nerdier than that as a guy.




It sucks I don’t want to “be myself” I want to make her want me. It’s easy to normally with girls but usually they already want me or just want to fuck me but still I kinda like this girl.




*****************************************************************************************************************




So I’m standing here in front of her apartment loft slash studio and I’m totally psychin’ myself out here.




Ring the bell…don’t ring the bell….ring the bell…don’t….Ahh fuck it.




I rang the bell and a small voice comes out. “Whose there?”




“Nick here for lunch.” I say aloud mentally cursing myself for sounding stupid. I hate it when I do that.




“Okay…” The voice said buzzing me in. I walked in and walked up the stairs since it was an old NYC walk-up. I walk up to the door and push it in since it was already open, presumably for me. I walked in seeing a young girl with her hands on her hips.




“So you’re taking out my Aunt?” She said with such attitude in her voice it almost made me laugh.




“Leave him alone Rae!” I heard Dani yell from the upstairs bedroom. She came walking down a minute later, “Raelynn this is my friend Nick, he dated your mom when they were 15.”




Fuck I’m already at friend status? Maybe she’s just saying that to get Cujo off my back.




“You dated my mom? Eww!!”




Dani laughed and I chuckled, “It’s not like they slept together or anything right?”




I wanted to…but yeah that didn’t happen yet… “No I respected her too much.” Okay sue me I lied I would have violated that up and down and any which way she wanted but back then she was a good girl. But yeah I need to play the nice guy here, there’s something about Brit being so protective that she must have gotten hurt by a guy before.




“So I figured we’d go to Dean & Deluca they have a nice café outside and it’s a beautiful day in New York which is rare.”




I smiled at her feeling a little more confident that this may very well be better than I thought. “So where is it exactly




“About three blocks, we’ll walk it.” She said pulling her bag over her shoulder and ushering me out the door. I looked over my shoulder and smiled at Brittany.




“It was nice to meet you Raelynn.” I commented hoping if I could get her to like me maybe there’d be some hope of a relationship here.




I know I shouldn’t want a relationship, but I sort of do. It’s been getting to me for a while now dating really sucks. An endless string of first dates, though the sex isn’t bad, but it would be nice to be with someone who actually liked me for once and not the celebrity.




“Nick?” I heard her ask as we rounded a corner.




“Huh?” I asked a little startled I had no idea she’d been talking lost in my own thoughts.




She smirked, “You zoned out on me!” She chided giggling a little. Damn I kinda like her laugh, it’s not annoying or grating it’s infectious.




“Sorry I think I have ADD sometimes.”




She snickered at me and replied, “Sometimes?”




I rolled my eyes and knocked her to the side a little with my shoulder which made her trip over her feet and fall to the concrete. “Shit I’m sorry.” I said helping her back up but she laughed.




“It’s okay.” She replied brushing her jeans off before we started walking again.




Great….just fucking great I knock her down! Get it together Carter!




*****************************************************************************************************



“I have to admit New York is amazing.” I remarked looking at the tall buildings as I walked her back to her place.




She smiled and nodded, “I went here for school and we ended up loving it here.”




“What school, Columbia?”




“NYU’s film school actually.”




I raised my eyebrows; that’s pretty impressive. “And you’re going to tell me you scored like a 1600 on your SAT’s?”




She chuckled at me and brushed her hair out of her face. “No I kinda sucked at that I got a 1030.”




“Only.” I chuckled back.




“No but seriously I did a lot of community service and qualified for grants since I was taking care of Rae on my own. Mom and Dad couldn’t handle the visual reminder of losing their champion.” She said in a mocking tone.




Champion? What the… “Care to explain?”




“They kind of always held Abby a little higher than me. She was the perfect student, popular, got married young had a baby and became a soldier. Lot of good that did. It got her killed.”




I sighed a little, “I’m sure your parents love you both equally.”




“Well yeah I know they love me but I’m the rebel, the one that went to school out of state, that wanted a job in the creative arts, not a real job.”




I smiled at her as we stopped in front of her stoop. “I had a good time today, seeing the city with someone who knows it so well.”




She grinned and reached for her keys playing with them for moment. “I’m glad, I like showing off my city.”




Okay she’s sending all the right signals isn’t she? Fiddling with her keys casual flirting. I take a step closer and begin to lean in for a kiss. “You know it would be great again, I’m sure there’s tons more to see…” Okay she’s smiling that’s a really good sign I move in a little closer and she stepped up on to her step…what the hell!?




“I should go…” She said nervously and quickly went inside leaving me standing there completely baffled.




What in the hell just happened? How did I go from flirting with her to almost kissing to…shit…Now what am I going to do?