- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
OKAY. So I've been working on this story for a few days now...I'm definitely still working on "Before it's too late" as well as "My Girl". I just wanted to open this one up, as well.

This is different than any other fan fic I've ever written, simply because I'm starting with Nick & Emily together already. Usually I start with a blank slate & work my way up to that. Oh well.

ALSO. Just wanted to say; I don't know Nick's friends in real life. I don't know what their personalities are like. I am in no way, shape, or form calling any of them violent, substance abusers. It's FICTION.

=] Now that I've rambled, please read & review! Thanks a bunch!
“You have a fucking drinking problem, Rob! Look at what you did to her!” Nick screamed at the top of his lungs. He, obviously, didn’t care that it was 1:30 in the morning and that neighbors were beginning to get angry. All he cared about was my best friend, and here she was, lying on Rob’s hardwood foyer floor; a puddle of bruises and blood. I stood behind Nick in the doorway, not wanting to get involved.

“Some friend you are!” He yelled back. “I don’t have a fucking problem.” He slurred and took a step toward me, only to stumble backwards and reach out for the wall. I picked up the metal baseball bat I had brought with me – thank God – and brought it behind me as if I was going to swing. Thunder boomed in the distance – typical Florida weather.

“Don’t take another step, bastard,” I spat and reached down with my empty hand to help my best friend up. “Crystal, honey, come on.” I muttered and pulled her to her feet. She slouched over my shoulder. “If you come after her ever again, I will beat the shit out of you. Then I’ll make sure to call the police…” I mumbled. I hurried her to Nick’s Escalade. I wasn’t going to sit around for Rob to beat us all up – because I knew he’d try.

“You should have let me handle it,” Nick muttered as he came to the car seconds later, soaked from the rain pouring out from the sky.

“Yeah, well, I would have if he hadn’t scared the shit out of me,” I shivered, just thinking about it. I looked in the backseat at Crystal, sitting there helplessly. “I think we should take her to the hospital.” I sighed. “This doesn’t look good at all.” Tears filled my big brown eyes. “Why does he have to be such an asshole?” I mumbled as I glanced out the window. The wipers were on full blast. I looked down when I felt Nick’s hand on my own.

“I’m sorry, baby,” he sighed and brought my hand to his lips. I gave him a genuine smile and turned my glance back out the window.

It wasn’t his fault. But as much as I wanted to tell him that, I couldn’t. I was too afraid to open my mouth because I knew if I would, tears would pour out. Nick and Rob had been best friends growing up. Ever since recently, Nick had determined he was no longer friends with Rob because of the way Rob treated women and life in general. Everything was a big party to Rob. Nick once had the same attitude, but recently was trying to stem away from that.

“I can’t believe I let this happen…” Crystal mumbled slowly from the backseat. Her shoulders shook with sobs.

“No, honey,” I quickly took my hand out of Nick’s and reached behind me to rub her knee soothingly. “None of this is your fault, you understand me? Rob has a problem. He needs help. He should have never taken any of this out on you.” I reassured her.

She gave me a small smile as Nick continued to speed towards the hospital. “Thanks.” She whispered. I kept my hand on her knee and glanced out ahead at the hospital. “Listen, guys, I really don’t want to get Rob in any kind of trouble…so how about we not explain how this happened? Okay?” She sighed.

I gave her ‘the look’ and shook my head. “Crystal, this is the second time he has beaten you so badly we’ve taken you to the hospital…” I started.

“I know, I know,” she nodded as if she had heard it all before. “Em, let me just make up another story and I promise I won’t let him do this again.” She pleaded. I rolled my eyes and sighed, not sure what to do.

“Second chances work sometimes, ya know?” Nick piped up from the driver’s seat. This time I sent him ‘the look’ and opened my mouth to say something, only to be cut off by Crystal.

“Thanks, Nick,” she thanked him and opened her car door. “You guys just head out. They’ll pinpoint Nick again, just like last time.” She referred back to the time when Rob had beaten her before. Nick and I had taken her to the hospital and the doctors couldn’t stop questioning both Nick and Crystal about if she was sure Nick hadn’t inflicted all this pain on her.

“I’m not leaving you here by yourself,” I quickly jumped back in. “Nick can drive home; I’ll catch a cab with you later on.”

“No,” Crystal shook her head. She looked back and forth between Nick and me. “Em, how about you just walk me in to the front desk?” She suggested and started to make her way out of the car slowly. I knew she wanted to talk to me and I sighed, getting out of the car as well.

We walked into the hospital together. “Crystal, let me stay with you, okay? I don’t feel comfortable just leaving you here.” I sighed. She shook her head and looked over at me.

“Honey, listen to me,” I found it ironic that she was about to start lecturing me when really, she was the one that needed a good talking to. Time after time, she’d call me in the middle of the night telling me what an ass Rob was and yet she still went back to him. “You and Nick need to go home and have a night together as a couple. He’s been doing all this promotional stuff and I know you missed him. Don’t worry about me. I’m going to call my sister and have her come sit with me.” She promised.

I sighed and looked down at the tile floor below me. She was right. Nick and I really needed to work on “us”. We had been together for just about two months now, but we had been friends for years. I had stayed by his side during his time with Paris, then again with his quieter relationships – most recently being the one with Julie.

“You know I’m right,” she smirked. I wondered how she could even smile and think about anything other than the pain she was feeling at that moment.

“You promise you’ll call Cathy?” I asked, referring to her sister.

“Swear,” she winked and pulled her cell phone out of her pocket. I sighed and glanced around the waiting room. Nick and I really did need time to ourselves. For the past two weeks, he had been traveling nonstop for promoting the boys’ new album.

“Thank you,” I sighed and leaned up to kiss her cheek. “I want a phone call first thing tomorrow.” I said sternly. She nodded and hugged me back.

“Thank you for tonight,” she sighed. I nodded. “Now go have hot reunion sex with Nicky.” She winked and I rolled my eyes. She was such a goof. But I knew tonight would possibly lead to that with him.