- Text Size +
Three weeks later, I was home, well rested, and ready to go back to college. Nick and I had become really close, and Regina was pregnant as ever. Her and Aaron had been hanging out a lot, and I mean a lot. Trips to the mall for baby clothes, trips to the supermarket to get pickles, and other stuff, including the trip that Regina’s class took to the beach. I was supposed to go, but because of my hospital stay, I couldn’t. So Aaron went in my place while Nick helped me with my physical therapy. Which had been fun. After each session, Nick went down to the cafeteria to get me McDonalds. After I came home, we had a movie night. All my favorite chick flicks, and thrillers. Even if I had seen them a lot, I still clung to Nick during the scary parts, because I was scared of Dan. Nick didn’t care, he knew about Dan, I told him. Aaron knew about Caleb, and protected Regina, and Eden. That night, Nick and I spent the night on the couch, Aaron and Regina on the loveseat. The next morning when I woke up, I was curled around Nick, who had both arms wrapped protectively around my waist. Aaron was awake, and singing to a thoroughly upset Regina. I had smiled, unwinding myself from Nick, and went over to them. Anyway, that was a week ago. I rolled onto my still sore ribs, and hissed. Regina looked up from her book. Wait a minute, Reggie was reading. “You’re reading?” I asked skeptically, sitting up on my bed. “Yep. School assignment.” She said, throwing the book toward me. I caught it, and smiled at the title. Catcher in the Rye was my favorite book in High School, and I had a soft cover copy in my trunk. Regina stood up, and stretched, rubbing her belly. I smiled, and stood up, stretching as well. Regina smiled, and walked out of the room, leaving me to change. I smiled, and put on an orange rocker shirt, and jeans. Then I piled on the bracelets, a bunch on each wrist. “Reggie, have you seen my school bag?” I asked, walking into the hallway. “In the downstairs closet.” Keith said, pausing on his way to his room. I nodded, and jogged downstairs, only to crash into Nick. “Hey, why are you here.” I said, standing back up. “Here to take you to school.” He said, brushing off his jeans as he stood up. “Well, I gotta get my bag, my pills, and the note from Dr. V.” I said, hopping on one foot to put on one of my white Etnies. Nick laughed, and I hopped on my opposite foot to put on the other sneaker. I smiled, and ran into the kitchen, grabbing the pill bottle, and the three copies of the note from the doctor, before heading to the hall closet to get my bag. An avalanche of stuff cascaded on top of me as I opened the door. “KEITH, REGINA, SKYLA, ANDREW, DRAKE, JACOB. Get down here.” I heard thuds before my siblings were downstairs. “Please, before Mom and Dad get home, clean this up. I don’t want to come home to a hurt sibling.” They all nodded, and started to clean up as Nick and I left.

The drive to my campus was silent, except for the radio. “Nicky?” “Hmm.” “How come you don’t have a girl?” “I haven’t found a girl I like yet.” Nick answered, turning the steering wheel slightly. As we approached a light, some girls began to point, and whisper. “Oh great.” Nick muttered, tugging his trucker hat lower. I slouched in my seat, and whispered, “Of all times.” I looked up at the light hopefully, but no use, the girls were already coming over. “Nick, hey Nick.” They shouted walking towards the car. I looked up at the light, begging it to change. And gratefully, it did. Nick pressed the gas, leaving the girls halfway to the car. I smiled, and sat up, directing Nick to my campus. We arrived, and he kissed my cheek. “Bye Belinda.” He said, handing me some money for the pay phone. I nodded, and left, running inside.

Three hours later, I was waiting on the curb for Nick. He pulled up, and I hopped up. “About time.” I grumbled, flopping into the passenger seat. He smiled, and said, “Bad day.” “The worst, I got a three page essay due next week on the history of modern music. Like I know.” “Just be glad you have me.” “Why.” “Because I know the history of modern music.” “What is it then Mr. Smarty-Pants.” “My group.” He said, smirking. I slapped his arm, and said, “Great, I got a comedian on my hands.” He nodded, and I smiled. He pulled into my driveway, and shut the car off. I smiled, and got out, leading the way to the house. Nick suddenly grabbed me, and slung me over his shoulder, running into the house. I laughed after he put me down, and said, “You having fun.” “Yes.” He said, before we heard a crash. “GET OUT.” My dad roared, shoving my mom out of the house. “I can still get custody of the kids.” She snarled, storming away. My dad snorted, and walked away, not looking back at me. I sighed, and threw my bag into the closet, and went upstairs. Nick followed, completely confused.