- Text Size +
“Daddy, I don’t want to leave! You can’t make me!” A young Judith Way wailed, as she tried her hardest to squirm out of her father’s grasp.

“It’s for the best, Judey.” Donald Way said calmly, keeping a grasp on his nine-year-old daughter.

“But what about Mum? Gerard and Mikey!”

Gerard, Judith’s older brother by almost 5 years walked up and touched her hair. “No matter what, we’ll always be connected. I love you, Jude.”

“I love you too Jude, I’m always gonna be your brother.” Mikey stood next to his older brother by 3 years.

As sobs racked her body, Judith managed a small “I love you too” as she was pulled into the car that would take her away from her mother and brothers’ love.


“No! Mikey, Gerard! Daddy take me back!” Jude woke up from her nightmare, tossing, turning and yelling on the bed. She sat in am upright position, wiping the sweat off her brow and burying her head in her hands.

"Oh, God…" she muttered, glancing at the clock on her bedside table and saw 3:06am in bright red. Suddenly, the door burst open and both of her roommates came rushing in.

"Jude!" the first boy, Wiley exclaimed, running towards Jude’s side, "What happened? Is everything okay?"

The second boy, Chris followed, turning the light switch on.

Jude nodded, "Just a nightmare. It's no big." She shrugged.

"I'll get a glass of water." Chris left, heading towards the kitchen.

Jude barely mumbled a thank you as she was enveloped into Wiley’s arms. “Are you sure you’re okay? You were yelling pretty loud,” he wiped away a tear that was escaping down her cheek “and you’re crying.”

“Y-yeah I’m fine. It was just a dream about leaving my mum and brothers.”

“Again? Love, why don’t you ask your father about them? See if you can get in contact.” Wiley kissed Jude’s forehead as Chris brought her the glass of water.

"I don't know…" she bit her lower lip, "It's been so long…"

"You have to get it out of your system, love. Look, we'll continue this in the morning. For now, get some sleep, alright?" Jude nodded, "Good."

He planted one last kiss on her forehead before retreating back to his own room, followed by Chris.

"Goodnight, Jude." Chris said, flicking off the light switch and before closing the door behind him.

"Yeah, goodnight." She mumbled, falling back on her bed and hugging herself to sleep.

The next morning, Jude sat on one of the stools in the kitchen, silently eating her breakfast cereal.

"Whoa, you're up pretty early." Wiley stated, standing beside her, yawning in the process.

Jude gave him a shove, "Jeez, yawn someplace else rather than in front of me and my food. Great, now we're all breathing your bad breath." She joked.

He rolled his eyes and wrapped both of his arms around her neck and roughly kissed the top of her head.

“You doin’ better love? You gave me quite a scare last night.”

Jude nodded, "I'm fine. I've been thinking about it and I guess you're right, I guess I should give him a call. It's probably the only way to stop having these dreams."

Wiley nodded, "Good luck."

"Thanks." She smiled, turning around and giving him a hug, "So, phone call or face to face?"

Wiley shrugged, "Up to you. Face to face could be better, but it's your choice."

Jude continued smiling, knowing she was all talk and no action. She couldn’t approach her father about his ex-wife. It was such a touchy subject and her father’s infamous temper would flare and Jude would always be in hysterics by the end.

"Hmm…maybe I should give him a call first."

Jude stood up, grabbed the wireless phone and nervously dialed her father's number. It was ringing. She paced back and forth around the room, hearing it ring until somebody finally answered it.

"Donald here."

Jude stopped pacing and gulped, "H-Hey dad. It's me, Jude."

“Darling, how are you?”

“Fine. Daddy, uh… I had that dream again…”

“Judith Avery, what did I tell you about bringing that up?”

Jude sighed deeply, glancing at Wiley. “Daddy, I know but it’s bothering me. Don’t you understand that?”

Donald sighed as well at the other line, "I understand that, honey but please…it's really complicated."

"Daddy…" she begged, "I really need to know."

"Now's not the right time, Jude. I'm sorry."

“There’s never a right time when I ask about Mum! EVER! Whatever Daddy, I’ll just never talk to my brothers or Mum again.”

Jude hastily hung up the phone and slammed it on the counter. She mumbled something about taking a shower and left the kitchen without letting Wiley get a word in.

After taking a 45 minute intensely hot shower, Jude felt much better and she quickly got her ready in her usual attire: skinny jeans, a band t-shirt, and a hoodie depending on the weather. Today was a chilly day so she decided on a fitted, short hoodie to go over her yellow HelloGoodbye shirt.

"I'm going out!" she yelled particularly to no one and soon left the flat.

Jude walked down the street, briefly passing by Starbucks and ordering a to-go cup of coffee.

Sipping on her Caramel Macchiato, she thought about her day. She didn’t have to be at work today so she planned on doing some grocery shopping and maybe some shopping for herself. But that would have to be later; she planned on going to her favorite record store at the moment.

Stepping inside, she threw the coffee cup at a nearby trash can.

"Well, if it isn't my favorite customer!" the manager greeted, upon seeing Jude walk inside.

"Hey, got anything new I'd like?" she asked, looking around, "I need some stress relief." she shrugged.

"Well, got Panic! At The Disco yet? Alexisonfire?"

“Oh course, go look!” Peyton waved his hand around while continuing to look through Alternative Press magazine.

Jude walked towards the rack of CDs, arranged according by name.

"Hmm…P…P…" she stopped and laughed at herself, "Pee pee. Ha-ha. Okay, that was stupid." She mumbled and went on looking for her desired CD.

“Are you talking to yourself over there Judey?!” Peyton called.

“Maybe, gosh! Can’t a gal look for a CD without being persecuted?”

“OH! Big word for Judith!”

Jude rolled her eyes, "Yeah, you ignoramus! Loser."

"Talking to yourself is the first sign of insanity, Jude!" Peyton called out again and laughed. Jude chose to ignore him and went on.

She finally found A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out by Panic! At the Disco and moved on to find another CD.

While doing so, her cell phone rang and answered it.

"Yeah?"

"Judey? It's me." It was her aunt, "Your father has something to tell you."

Jude could hear the protests of her father from the other end.

"No! I can't say it!"

"You have to tell her!"
her aunt scolded him, "I'm sorry Judey, he's being stubborn."

“Darling, it’s your mother…”
he trailed off and rambled off a few curses.

“What about Mum?”

She stopped was she was doing and leaned up against the rack of CDs.

“Well I got a call from your brother Gerard, she’s very sick. I’ve bought a plane ticket to New Jersey for you. You leave tonight at 8.”

Jude was lost for words. Questions ran through her head. Her mother? Sick? For how long? Why didn't they tell her sooner?

"Jude?"

"O-Okay…" her voice quivered, "I'll pack…" she hung up and placed the CD back in place and headed towards for the door.

"Hey, Jude? What's wrong?" Peyton asked when he saw Jude heading for the door.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. I have to go. I'll buy the CD another time. Sorry for the trouble." She stammered and left, jogging back to her flat.