- Text Size +
It Only Takes A Minute...


As he walked down the street, Nicky looked around. Kian and Shane were joking around as they walked beside him. Bryan and Mark were walking behind him, chatting into their mobiles.

Westlife were in Belfast for a concert the next day. They were just looking around the town, doing some shopping. They each had a baseball cap on their heads, pulled down low, trying not to be recognised. So far, it was working.

˜Hey, Nicky, man?" said Bryan

˜Yeah?"

"Do you want to go to McDonalds?"

"Again?!" replied Nicky. "When are we ever out of that place?"

"Well, we're hungry and it's the closest restaurant to us. Come on, man," answered Kian.

"Fine. Whatever you all want," Nicky said.

"Yeah!" cried Bryan.

"You are so childish!" laughed Nicky as he pushed Bryan into McDonalds.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The five men had all sat down and Anto (their tour manager) had ordered their food.

Now, they were all tucking in to the food sitting in front of them.

"I want another drink," Bryan announced suddenly.

No one said anything. Bryan looked around at them.

"What?!" exclaimed everyone.

"Nothing!"

"Did you expect one of US to go and get it?!" asked Shane.

"Nooooo," said Bryan, as in he meant, "Yes"

"Ugh, I'll get it," offered Nicky. "What do you want?"

"A diet coke. Cheers Nicky," said Bryan.

"Does anyone else want anything?" asked Nicky.

Everyone shook their heads, their mouths full of food.

Nicky walked up to the counter and stood behind another customer and waited. The customer soon moved away.

"Lauren, will you take this customer. I'm due a break," shouted the employee to the back, behind the kitchens.

"Sure. Two seconds," shouted a girl.

Lauren came running up and stood in front of Nicky. She didn't look up at first as she was typing a number into the till. A couple of seconds later she said to him:

"Hi, what would you like to order?" As she said it she looked up at Nicky.

Nicky was about to say what Bryan wanted when she looked up and the words seemed to get caught in his throat. He stared at her.

"Her eyes are so blue," he thought. "She's gorgeous."

Lauren's blonde hair was falling in wisps from underneath her cap framing her face. She brushed one away from her face and said:

"Excuse me, what would you like to order?"

"˜Em, uh, er..."

"Yes sir?"

"Uh, a diet coke please."

"Sure sir. Would that be a small, medium or large?"

"Large please."

"Okay, that'll be £2:00, sir."

Nicky handed her the money and she turned away to get the coke. Nicky took a deep breath and sighed.

"Get a grip Nicky. She must think you're an idiot," he thought to himself.

"Here you go sir," said Lauren, handing him the container. "Have a nice day," she added, smiling.

"Thanks. You too," replied Nicky.

"God she has a really nice smile," he thought.

Nicky walked slowly back to the table.

"Thank God, man. I thought you'd got lost,’ complained Bryan.

Nicky didn’t say anything.

‘Hellloooo!!! Anybody in?’ asked Bryan, waving his hand in front of Nicky’s face.

‘Sorry? What?’ said Nicky, jolting out of his daydream.

‘What’s the matter, Nic?’ asked Shane.

‘Nothing. I’m fine.’

‘You sure?’

‘Yeah, I…….’

Just then Lauren walked past their table and Nicky’s words seemed to get stuck in his throat again. Shane noticed this and followed Nicky’s gaze and said:

‘Oohhhhh. That’s why.’

Nicky came out of his daze in time to here what Shane said.

‘Huh? What are you talking about?’

‘Nicky has a crush!!’ said Shane.

Bryan, Kian and Mark all heard what Shane said and looked up in interest.

‘What is this I hear? Has our Nicky got a little crush on a girl?’ taunted Mark.

‘Well done Shane. You might has well have told the whole restaurant by telling those three,’ complained Nicky.

‘Hey, we’re not that bad!’ huffed Bryan.

‘Oh yes you are! Anyway I don’t have a crush on her.’

‘Uh huh. That’s what they all say,’ said Mark.

‘She’s hot Nicky. You should go for it,’ remarked Kian.

‘Don’t say that about her. She’s not a piece of meat for you to ogle at,’ answered Nicky, defensively.

‘Oh, someone is getting a little overprotective of someone that they don’t like and don’t even know.’

‘Aarrgghh! Just leave me alone.’

‘Boys, I think Nix DOES have a crush on this girl,’ laughed Bryan, ‘But he just won’t admit it.’

‘SHUT UP!’ shouted Nicky.

‘Ooooohhhhh!!!!!!,’ said the rest of the group, at the same time.

Just then Lauren walked past their table again. As she did, Kian reached out and grabbed her arm, and said, ‘Excuse me?!’

Lauren jumped as Kian grabbed arm but soon recovered and said, ‘What can I do for you, sir?’

‘I was just wondering if you would like to, just maybe, go out with my friend sometime, as you can see, he’s a little taken with you,’ said Kian, pointing at Nicky.

Nicky’s mouth dropped open in surprise, shock and horror.

Lauren’s face flushed red.

Shane leaned over to Nicky and said, quite obviously, ‘Nicky shut your mouth. You’re catching flies.’

Nicky’s mouth snapped shut in a second.

Lauren replied, ‘I don’t think so.’

‘Why not?’ asked Bryan.

‘I don’t think that would be appropriate,’ she said. ‘Why the hell did I say no?! He’s gorgeous!’ Lauren thought to herself. ‘And why the hell did I say that it wouldn’t be appropriate?! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!’

‘Okay, it was just a thought,’ said Kian.

Just as Lauren was about to walk away, Kian said, ‘Just for future reference, what’s your name?’

‘I think your friend knows it already… but it’s Lauren, just in case he doesn’t.’

‘Mine’s Kian. This is Mark, Shane, Nicky, Bryan and Anto,’ said Kian, pointing to each member as he said their name.

‘Hi,’ said Lauren.

Everyone said ‘Hi’ back, apart from Nicky who was still gob-smacked.

‘Look, I’d better go,’ replied Lauren.

She turned and walked away.

Nicky soon recovered:

‘I can’t believe you just did that!!!!’ exclaimed Nicky, ‘I’ve never been so embarrassed in my whole life!’

‘Stop being so dramatic Nix. It wasn’t that bad!’ exclaimed Kian.

‘Yes it was! And you,’ he said while turning to face Shane. ‘……YOU just put the icing on the cake by telling me to close my mouth!’

Shane started laughing. ‘You DID look like an idiot!’

The rest of them started to laugh too. They sat there nudging each other, throwing their heads back in laughter.

‘That was a good one Shane,’ giggled Mark.

‘Yeah,’ laughed Bryan.

Even Anto, who usually kept out of their way and business when it came to girls, couldn’t keep his laughter in anymore.

‘Aargh!!!!! I’m outta here,’ Nicky said, frustrated.

He jumped up, knocking his seat to the ground. Not caring, he went on, and stormed out of the restaurant.

‘Whoops!!’ exclaimed Kian. ‘I think… just maybe…we upset him…...just a little bit.’

‘Whatever gave you THAT idea Kian?!!!!’ said Shane, sarcastically.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Nicky was walking aimlessly around the town. He knew it was dangerous as he was on his own but he just had to get away. He decided that he spent way too much time with the rest of the guys. He needed some time on his own. To think…about his future with the group.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Bryan, Kian, Shane, Mark and Anto were starting to throw away their rubbish, when Lauren came over to them.

She grabbed Kian’s arm as he turned to the bin. He spun round to face her.

‘Haven’t we done this already?!’ laughed Kian.

Lauren laughed.

‘What can I do for you?’ asked Kian.

Lauren paused. ‘Just say it you idiot! You already said ‘appropriate’ to them, it can’t get much worse than that!’ she thought to herself. She took a deep breath and said:

‘I was wondering if that offer of me going out with your friend was still available?’

‘Well,’ said Kian. ‘As you can see Nicky isn’t here at the minute. He sort of ran off.’

‘Well, you WERE pretty hard on him.’

‘You heard all that?!!’ exclaimed Kian.

‘Yep,’ replied Lauren.

‘Oops!’

‘Don’t worry. I won’t tell him!’ laughed Lauren.

‘Okay. Thanks.’

‘No problem.’

Lauren turned to walk off but Kian called her.

‘Lauren?!’

She turned round.

‘Yeah?’

‘When we find Nicky, we’ll tell him that you were asking for him. I think you’d be perfect for him. Especially as you ignore his most embarrassing moments. And trust me. From knowing him for three years, I know he has a lot of them!!!!’

Lauren laughed again and said:

‘Look… it doesn’t matter. Don’t tell him what I said.’

‘Why?’

‘Obviously he didn’t like me that much if he ran off so soon.’

‘It was just because he was embarrassed. He hates it when we do that! Just give him another chance.’

‘I’ll see you Kian. By the way, are you all from that group, Westlife?’

‘Y…yes!’ he replied, hesitantly, worried she was a fanatic.

‘Cool!’ exclaimed Lauren, before walking off.

‘Definitely perfect for Nicky,’ smiled Kian.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Nicky wandered around the town. Not really looking where he was walking. Just thinking. About everything.

‘I think I need a break from the group,’ he thought. ‘…What am I going to do?’

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Kian, Shane, Bryan, Mark and Anto were standing outside McDonalds, when Shane said, ‘What are we going to do about Nicky? We have no clue where he is.’

They stood there in silence for a couple of minutes when, suddenly Mark piped up.

‘Phone his mobile!’

‘Ugh! Why didn’t one of us think of that before?’ exclaimed Bryan, slapping his forehead.

Shane took his mobile out of the front pocket of his denim jacket. He dialled Nicky’s number and pressed the green phone button.

A couple of seconds later a ringing sound started. It went on for a couple of seconds before everyone started to look around them. They all looked at each other, shrugging their shoulders.

‘Will someone answer the stupid phone?!’ exclaimed Kian.

‘It isn’t ours! None of us here have that ring tone!’ said Mark.

They looked around some more.

‘Fee, the ringing is coming from your pocket,’ pointed out Shane, still holding his phone to his ear.

‘Oh!’ Mark fished out the phone from his pocket.

‘Oops!’ he exclaimed, sheepishly.

‘Aargh!’ shouted Shane. ‘That’s Nicky’s phone, isn’t it?’ he continued.

‘Yep. Sorry! I forgot! Nicky left it in McDonalds and I picked it up before we came out,’ said Mark, his face starting to turn red.

Shane pulled the phone away from his ear and pressed the red phone button, hard.

‘Well, that bright idea’s out, now!’ cried Shane. ‘What are we gonna do now? There’s no way we can get in touch with Nicky, never mind find him.’

At that moment, Lauren opened the restaurant doors and came out to the sunshine. She heard the tail end of the men’s conversation but thought nothing of it.

Kian turned round and saw Lauren.

‘Hi! Again!’ he said.

‘Hi!’ Lauren replied. ‘What are you all standing out here for? I thought you’d have gone by now.’

‘We’re trying to find Nicky,’ answered Kian.

‘Oh right. Well, good luck.’

‘Thanks. Maybe we’ll see you around some time, hopefully with Nicky with us. IF we ever find him.’ said Kian.

‘Maybe. I’d better go. See ya.’

‘Bye,’ said everyone.

Lauren walked down the street, without looking round.

‘Damn it!’ exclaimed Kian, as Lauren walked off.

‘What?’ asked Mark and Shane at the same time.

‘She would have been so perfect for Nicky. Now, he’ll never get to talk to her.’

‘How do you know that she would be suited to Nicky?’ asked Bryan.

‘It’s obvious,’ Kian replied.

‘Oookay. I’ll take your word for it!’ said Bryan, giving up.

‘Trust me!’ exclaimed Kian.

‘I guess we’ll never know now,’ said Mark.

‘Guess not,’ said Kian.


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Nicky walked up the street, looking around. He was very wary of the fact that he didn’t know where he was.

‘Shit,’ he said. ‘The guys are going to kill me.’

He reached for his phone in his jeans pocket. It wasn’t there.

‘Great. Just great!!!! That’ll make everything better...SHIT!!!’

He walked on, not looking here he was going. Suddenly he felt himself colliding with someone. He looked down a bit, to find he had banged into a young woman.

‘I’m really sorry. I wasn’t looking where I was going,’ apologised Nicky.

‘No, it’s okay,’ said the woman, looking up at Nicky.

Nicky gasped, and found he couldn’t talk for the third time that day.

‘Lauren,’ he thought.

‘Nicky?!’ questioned Lauren.

‘Yeah,’ he squeaked out.

‘Imagine meeting you here!’ said Lauren jokingly.

Nicky laughed, more at ease from her joke.

‘Yeah. You’d never have thought!’

Lauren giggled.

‘Um… before I go. The guys were looking for you. They sounded a bit pissed off when I came out of McDonalds,’ she said.

‘Oops!’ said Nicky.

‘Yeah. I think you’d better find them before they get really mad.’

‘Problem is I haven’t a CLUE where I am and I can’t get in touch with any of them because I left my phone with them and I have no coins for a pay phone, just notes.’

‘Look, here’s my mobile. You can use it to phone them. Then I can take you to meet them wherever you want.’

‘Are you sure?’ asked Nicky.

‘Sure, it’s no problem.’

‘Thank you SO much, Lauren.’

Lauren shivered. ‘Oh my God!’ she thought. ‘The way he said my name was so nice.’

Nicky noticed her shiver. ‘Are you alright? Are you cold?’

‘No, I’m okay.’

‘Sure?’

‘Yep. Here’s the phone,’ said Lauren, getting it from her small backpack, slung over shoulder.

‘Thanks,’ said Nicky, reaching out to take the phone from her hand. As he did, his hand brushed hers. They both shivered at once.

‘Shit,’ thought Nicky. ‘What just happened? That was like an electric shock.’

‘Aahh! There it is again,’ thought Lauren at the same time. ‘What’s going on?’

Nicky dialled Shane’s mobile number into Lauren’s phone and pressed ‘call’.

It started to ring a few seconds later.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Shane heard his phone ring in his pocket. He took it out and looked at the number. He didn’t recognise it.

‘Hello?’ he said into it.

‘Hi Shane.’

‘Nicky?!’

‘Yeah.’

‘Where the hell are you?’

‘Weelll, I don’t exactly know!’

‘Huh?’ said Shane.

‘I was just wondering round town and sorta wasn’t looking where I was going and sorta got lost.’

‘NICKY!!’

Sorrrryyy!!’ said Nicky, sarcastically. ‘I didn’t exactly PLAN to get lost you know!’

‘Okay. Sorry,’ said Shane. ‘How are we gonna find you though?’

‘Well, I met Lauren, so I’m gonna take her to lunch and then she’ll take me to meet you wherever.’

‘Okay. Phone us. Bye.’

‘Bye.’

They both hung up.

Shane put the phone back into his pocket and looked up to find everyone else staring at him.

‘Well?’ asked Kian, impatiently.

‘He’s coming soon.’

‘Why were you shouting at him then?’ asked Mark.

‘Well, he’s lost.’

‘So, how’s he meeting us then?’

‘He met Lauren, and he’s taking her to lunch then she’s gonna bring him to wherever we’re gonna meet him.’ Shane waited for the reaction to come. And it did.

‘LAUREN?!’ exclaimed everyone at once.

‘Lauren? As in the Lauren that works in there?’ said Kian, pointing to McDonalds.

‘Lauren?...As in the Lauren that we met about an hour ago?’ asked Mark.

‘Yep, I think,’ replied Shane.

‘Aahhhh!!! Now he gets to talk to her! This is brilliant!’ exclaimed Kian.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Nicky handed the phone back to Lauren.

‘Thank you so much for letting me use it. I’m sorry about adding that I was gonna take you to lunch. I realised I can’t face the rest of them yet.’

‘It’s okay. It just surprised me a bit when you said it. But way can’t you face the guys yet? If you don’t mind me asking.’

‘No I don’t. Can I explain to you over lunch?’ he asked her.

‘Sure. Are you sure you want to tell me?’

Yep. I know I can trust you.’

‘How do you know?’

‘I just have that feeling.’

‘Well, you feeling is right, cause you can trust me.’

‘Thanks.’

‘No problem.’

‘Okay. I think it’s time I bought you lunch for saving my life from Shane and the others killing me!’

Lauren laughed. ‘God, his accent is so cute.’

‘Her laugh is so sweet,’ thought Nicky.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

**An hour later**

Lauren and Nicky and Nicky were sitting in a small park in the middle of the town, on the grass. They were laughing and getting on really well. They had talked about everything from their families to their favourite colour. But Nicky hadn’t told her about why he couldn’t face his friends earlier on.

The conversation soon went onto Westlife.

‘So how’s it going with Westlife?’ asked Lauren.

Nicky’s face fell.

‘Sorry! Was that not a good thing to ask?’ asked Lauren, worriedly.

‘No, its okay. It’s just….’

‘What?’ enquired Lauren.

‘Well….’

‘What’s the matter Nicky?’

‘I..I.. I’m thinking of leaving the group,’ stuttered Nicky. Nicky expected her to be shocked but to his pleasant surprise, she just asked:

‘Why?’

Nicky didn’t answer.

‘What makes you think you can’t cope, that you have to quit your dream?’

Nicky looked at her in surprise. ‘How did you know that it was my dream?’

‘It’s obvious. The way, when I watch you guys on T.V, you, look so alive when ‘you’re Westlife’. When you’re performing on ‘Top of the Pops’, you’re so happy to be there. It’s like you don’t see it as a job.’

‘You know me so well. How the hell do you do that?’

‘Don’t know,’ shrugged Lauren. ‘I suppose I just guessed right.’

‘You definitely did.’

‘Well are you gonna tell me why you’re thinking of leaving Westlife?’

‘I think it’s because I’m spending too much time with Kian, Shane, Bryan and Mark. We’re with each other practically 24/7, especially when we’re on tour. Don’t get me wrong. I love those guys. They’re like my brothers but it’s just getting to me.’

‘Maybe you all need a few months break from each other and come back refreshed and ready to make music again.’

‘I think you’re right.’

‘You should talk to the guys. I bet you any money they’re thinking the same thing.’

‘I will. Thank you so much! I’m glad I met you.’

‘It’s no problem! I think you just needed someone to talk to.’

‘Yep! And you were the perfect person!’

‘Why thank you!’ laughed Lauren.

Nicky laughed. He looked at his watch. ‘I’d better call Shane.’

‘Yep. They’ll be getting worried.’

‘I know. They’re like mother hens! Especially Anto!’

Lauren giggled. She handed him her phone and he proceeded to call Shane. They arranged to meet outside the City Hall in 15 minutes.

Nicky stood up from the grass and reached his hand down to Lauren. She took it and he pulled her up. She brushed herself down, and, much to her surprise; Nicky put his arm round her waist, and pulled her closer to him. She was stiff at first but soon realised that it was what she wanted, and she relaxed against him. They walked out of the park, arms around each other, chatting and laughing.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Kian, Shane, Mark, Bryan and Anto were waiting at the gates of the City Hall, on the pavement, with people bustling around them.

‘Where are they, Shane?’ asked Kian.

‘How the heck am I supposed to know?’ said Shane.

‘I was just asking!’

‘Yeah, well. It was a stupid question,’ muttered Shane.

‘Humph!’ huffed Kian.

‘There they are,’ pointed Mark.

‘Where? Where?’ exclaimed Kian, jumping up and down.

‘There!’ said Mark. ‘Wait! Does Nicky have his arm around her?!’

‘Oh my God! He DOES!!’ screamed Bryan.

‘Oh yes!!! Kian is right….. AGAIN!’ boasted Kian.

‘Shut up!’ exclaimed everyone, while Mark hit him upside the head.

‘Oww!’ said Kian, rubbing his head.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

‘Shit! They’ve noticed us!’ exclaimed Nicky.

‘What did you expect to happen? laughed Lauren. ‘We ARE walking towards them! And they DO have eyes!’

‘Haha! Very funny! NOT!’ said Nicky.

‘Ooohhh! Who’s grumpy?’

‘Not me!’

‘Uh uh! Sure!’ said Lauren.

Nicky looked down at Lauren. He was so surprised that they were getting on SO well. Normally he wouldn’t be able to act like that round a girl he had just met. But it was different with Lauren. He felt so at ease with her. He thought back to when he had pulled her up from the grass and pulled her close to him. He had been just as surprised as Lauren. But it felt like the right thing to do. And from looking at her now, he was positive it was.

Nicky reached down to her, and kissed her on her lips, while still walking. Lauren kissed him back. They pulled away and Lauren looked at Nicky in astonishment.

‘What?!’ asked Nicky.

Lauren didn’t answer.

‘I just had to do that,’ said Nicky to her.

‘Don’t worry. I liked it. I just didn’t think you liked me like that!’

‘After all that happened in McDonalds, me telling you a really big secret and me putting my arms round you?’ asked Nicky, in amazement.

‘Well, I’ve never really had much attention from guys,’ said Lauren.

‘What?!’

Lauren shrugged her shoulders.

‘Well, now you’ve got attention from me, and I’m not gonna let you go yet!’ smiled Nicky.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

‘Did Nicky just KISS her?! In front of EVERYONE?!’ asked Kian, in amazement.

‘Uh uh!’ nodded Shane, looking blankly at Nicky and Lauren.

‘Wow! He works fast,’ commented Bryan.

‘Well, I say good for him,’ said Anto. ‘Have you not noticed that he hasn’t been himself lately? Maybe she’ll be good for him.’

‘I think I’ve noticed that too,’ said Shane.

The rest of them nodded their heads in agreement.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Lauren and Nicky walked up to the men standing there.

‘Hi!’ said Nicky.

The guys followed suit.

No-one said anything. Some sort of tension was between them.

‘Hi,’ said Lauren, quietly, realising she hadn’t said anything.

Kian laughed.

‘What?’ said Nicky.

‘Your face just went the colour it went in McDonalds when I said Nicky wanted to go out with you!’ he said, looking at Lauren.

‘Shut up!’ said Lauren, laughing, hitting Kian on the arm.

Everyone laughed with her.

The tension had been broken. Lauren was part of the group now.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

**10pm, later that night**

They were all in a popular club, in the centre of Belfast. With the exception of Anto, who was at the hotel. Lauren was on the dance floor, dancing with Mark, Kian and Bryan. Nicky and Shane were on the balcony looking out over the dance floor.

Shane looked at Nicky. He was smiling.

Shane though back to earlier that day. Nicky had sat all of them down and told them how he was feeling about the group. They had all understood and decided to take a break. Nicky had looked as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

Now, as Shane looked at him, he decided they had made the right decision. Nicky needed time off. They all did. Just to do what they wanted to do. Not to have to be worried about work. He knew Nicky would’ve left the group if they hadn’t decided to take it easy.

‘That’s partly why he looks so happy tonight,’ Shane thought. ‘The fact that he doesn’t have to leave the group, and also, he now has Lauren.’

Nicky noticed Shane looking at him.

He turned round to face him.

‘What?’ he asked.

‘Just thinking,’ answered Shane.

‘About what?’

‘Everything. The group. You, etc.’

‘Why me?’

‘Cause you are so happy now. You’re gonna have a break and now you’ve got Lauren.’

‘I’m really lucky,’ said Nicky.

‘Yep. I’d say you were,’ laughed Shane. ‘Lauren’s a great girl.’

‘Isn’t she?’ said Nicky, looking at Lauren, dreamily.

Shane laughed.

‘What?!’ Nicky exclaimed.

‘You just went all dreamy eyed when you looked at Lauren.’

Nicky blushed.

‘And you’ve never done THAT before when I talk to you about a girl you’ve been seeing.’

‘Lauren’s special.’

‘That, I’ll agree with,’ said Shane.

‘Even after an hour, I realised I REALLY liked her,’ said Nicky.

‘What about now?’ asked Shane.

‘I think I’m in love with her,’ said Nicky quickly.

‘WHAT?!’ exclaimed Shane.

‘I know I’ve only known her a day, but I just get that funny feeling when I look at her.’

‘What funny feeling?’ asked Shane.

‘You know. A tingly feeling. Like I’ve known her all my life and I’ve just realised that she’s the perfect girl for me. Except it’s only taken me a day to realise.’

‘Well, all I can say is, well done mate. I’m happy for you.’

‘Thanks.’

‘Now all you have to do is tell Lauren,’ said Shane.

‘Yeah,’ said Nicky, quietly.

They both turned to lean over the balcony again. Nicky looked at Lauren. She was laughing and joking around with Bryan, Kian and Mark. All of a sudden Lauren looked up at where Nicky and Shane were standing. She smiled and waved at Nicky. Nicky waved back. Then she turned back to Bryan and hit him upside the head for something he said to her.

Nicky laughed and said, ‘YEAH’, more forcefully, nodding.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

**A year and a half later**

That night Nicky had told Lauren that he loved her, and she had told him the same. From then on, nothing had become between them. Even Nicky’s job. After having six months off, Nicky went back to touring with the rest of the guys. Now, they enjoyed it more than ever. Even though him and Lauren weren’t together all the time, they phoned each other and talked all the time. They made time to see each other. Sometimes Lauren flew to where Westlife were, even if it was only for a few days.

Lauren had moved down to Dublin, to live with Nicky, six months ago. They had never been so much in love.

Tonight, Nicky and Lauren were having a party at their house. Bryan, Kian, Shane and Mark were coming and they were bringing their girlfriends. Lauren and Nicky’s families were coming and also some of their other friends.

Lauren and Nicky were in the middle of Dublin City, getting things for the party. They had met Bryan, Shane, Kian and Mark a bit earlier on and they had tagged along with Nicky and Lauren.

Lauren had gone into a shop across the road from the rest of the guys, to get food for the party.

Nicky and the rest of them had finished in the shop they were in first and were waiting outside it, for Lauren.

Soon, Lauren came out of the shop and she started to cross the road to go to Nicky. All of a sudden a car came out of nowhere and came shooting towards Lauren. She didn’t have time to move out of the way.

‘LAUREEEEN!!!!’ screamed Nicky.

The car rammed into Lauren, and she flew across the bonnet of the car and rolled across the roof, and onto the ground. She lay still.

Nicky ran up to her screaming. Bryan, Kian, Shane and Mark came running after him.

Nicky kneeled down beside Lauren. He stroked her face and brushed her hair that fell over her face.

‘Lauren!!’ he said. ‘Lauren, please wake up.’ Still, Lauren didn’t move.

Rain started to fall. Heavy drops fell onto Nicky but he didn’t notice.

Shane, Kian, Bryan and Mark all stood round Nicky and Lauren, looking down.

Tears started to well up in Nicky’s eyes. ‘LAUREN! Wake up!’ They soon started to trickle down Nicky’s face. Soon he was in hysterics.

The other guys felt tears begin to fall as well. They all kneeled beside Nicky. Shane put his arm around Nicky’s shoulder. Nicky didn’t notice.

‘Nicky. There’s nothing you can do,’ said Shane.

‘She won’t wake up. Shane,’ cried Nicky.

‘I know. I’m sorry.’

‘No. She has to! I love her! I can’t live without her!’

‘Nicky please calm down. You’re going to make yourself ill.’

‘No! No! No! This can’t be happening! I was gonna propose to her tonight! We were going to get married. She has to be alright.’

Lauren’s eyes were closed and she lay on her back. She was unmoving.

‘LAUREN!!!’

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

**Two Years Later**

Nicky sat on the edge of his bed staring at the picture of him and Lauren from a day at the beach. In the picture, Nicky had his arms around Lauren’s waist, while she was facing him and had her arms around his waist, and Nicky was kissing her forehead. It looked nice in its silver frame. It had always been his favourite picture of them together. He remembered that Lauren didn’t like it. She always said it looked as though she had a swashed up face. Nicky laughed out loud. Whenever she talked about something she didn’t like she scrunched up her nose. He had loved that about her.

Suddenly Nicky felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned round and saw Shane.

‘Are you okay?’ Shane asked.

‘Yeah.’

Shane gave him a questioning look.

‘No,’ he said, changing his answer.

‘What’s wrong?’

‘It’s the anniversary of Lauren’s death.’

‘I’m so sorry. I totally forgot,’ exclaimed Shane.

‘It’s okay.’

‘Nicky. You have to move on. Lauren would have wanted you to.’

‘I know that. But it’s taking time.’

‘It will. But you know that you’ll never forget her.’

‘I won’t.’

‘See? She was special to you. She’ll always be in your mind.’

‘Exactly. She will ALWAYS be. That’s the problem.’

‘You’ll get used to Nicky. You have Michelle now.’

‘I know. And I love her. But I love Lauren too.’

‘And Michelle knows that. She accepts that you did and always will love Lauren. Now YOU just have to.’

‘I do.’

‘We ALL miss her. Remember that.’

‘She was like a little sister to you lot, wasn’t she?’

‘Yeah. She was our princess.’

Nicky laughed. ‘She hated when you called her that. She said that it made her feel about 5 years old.’

‘I know,’ laughed Shane. ‘But she was special to you, so she was special to us. We always looked out for her.’

All of a sudden Nicky started to cry. He put his head in his hands. He started to shake all over.

Shane sat down on the bed beside him and put his arm round his shoulder. Nicky leaned in towards him and cried into Shane’s shirt. Soon Shane could feel tears welling up in his own eyes. He brushed them away, taking deep breaths. He had to be strong for Nicky. If not for himself, definitely for Nicky.

Nicky pulled away.

‘I’m sorry.’

‘It’s okay. You have every right to cry. Are you going to be alright?’

‘I’ll be fine.’

‘Come on downstairs,’ said Shane.

‘I’ll be down in a minute.’

‘Okay.’

Nicky heard the door close as Shane went out. He took a deep breath and wiped away a few stray tears that had run down his face.

Suddenly, he heard the door open. He turned round, expecting to see Shane again or another one of the guys, but there was no-one there. Still, the door was open. Nicky shrugged and got up. He felt something go past him. He shivered. This was weird.

Nicky turned to walk out of the room but a knock from the shelf where the picture of him and Lauren was, stopped him. He turned slowly round, afraid to of what he was about to see. Still, there was nothing. Except…. Lauren seemed more…… alive in the picture now.

‘What’s going on?’ asked Nicky, out loud.

He felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned round. There was nothing there. Suddenly, Nicky heard a short laugh.

‘Lauren?!!!’ he exclaimed.

‘Stop being so stupid Nicky,’ he thought. ‘But it really did sound like Lauren.’

The laugh sounded again. There was no mistaking it this time.

‘It IS Lauren’s laugh,’ he said out loud. ‘She’s laughing at me. She’s here!’

‘I’m here Nicky,’ he heard.

Nicky jumped.

‘Oh my God!’ he exclaimed. ‘Lauren?’

‘Yes Nicky?’ said Lauren

‘Where are you?’

‘I’m right here.’

‘Where?’

‘Right beside you.’

‘I can’t see you.’

‘That’s cause I’m dead silly. You won’t be able to see me.’

‘What are you doing here?’

‘I came to tell you to move on from me.’

‘I can’t.’

‘Yes you can. You have to. For your sake AND Michelle’s.’

‘You know about her?’

‘Of course I do!!!’ laughed Lauren. ‘I know everything now.’

‘I can’t forget about you Lauren,’ he cried.

‘I can’t forget about you either. I wish I didn’t have to have died. But I did. And that’s the way things are. Life must go on. YOU have to go on. I’ll always be watching over you. Remember that.’

‘I will.’

‘Now, go downstairs to everyone and tell them that you’re okay, and that you’ve moved on.’

‘Okay. See you someday Lauren,’ replied Nicky.

A swish of air passed by Nicky. He walked over to the door and put his hand on the handle. As he opened the door, he turned round to face the room and said,

‘I love you Lauren. I’ll never forget you.’

Nicky heard a whisper as he opened the door:

‘I love you too Nicky. Always remember that.’

Nicky smiled as he walked out of the room and closed the door.



Always remember:

It only takes a minute to get a crush on someone,

An hour to like someone,

A day to love someone,

But it takes a lifetime to forget someone.



THE END