- Text Size +
Alex starred out the dark window of his midnight black Mercedes Escalade. Thoughts of the clan meeting flooded his mind as he worries of what is about to happen, will this end in more death? He knew there was no other way to deal with the Carter’s. Their clan only maneuvered in old fashioned ways. His cousin’s image floated into his mind making him shut his eyes tight. The thought of her being hurt in the middle of his business situation scares him more than losing his own immortality. Before she arrived he feared nothing. He would face the toughest enemies with no thoughts of danger entering his mind. He wasn’t afraid to lose the darkness of being immortal. He desired and welcomed death.

“Having her here, brings you danger.” Kevin spoke, announcing to Alex that his thoughts were not in private.

“I bring danger to her. I bring her death.” Alex spoke without glancing at Kevin.

“This is true. But, before her presence, you had strength and power to fight that you no longer have. She’s made you vulnerable. The Carter’s will be able to smell it and I fear for you my friend. I fear for our clan.”

Alex didn’t respond, he still has yet to glance over at Kevin. He knows Kevin is right, and it changes nothing. Sabri is now apart of their lives and it will stay that way for as long as Alex can protect her. The car came to a stop. “Will you be needing me anymore this evening?” Kevin asked Alex as he put the car in park in the drive way of the Mclean Mansion. Alex looked over at Kevin for the first time since they left the meeting. “Go enjoy the night.” Alex spoke with a rugged tone as he climbed out of the passenger seat. He looked up at his home for a moment before taking in a deep breath, “Do you ever miss breathing in the night air?” he asked before looking over his shoulder to see Kevin.

“Never thought about it.” Kevin answered before handing over the keys to Alex. “You sure you don’t need me tonight?” Kevin’s forehead creased in question. Alex gave a soft smile, “Good night my friend.” Alex stepped away from Kevin and walked up the lose stone driveway before opening the heavy door to his home. The mansion was silent, his brow raised. “Either she actually is sleeping or she snuck out again.” Alex smirked. He walked up the long staircase and down the hallway to Sabri’s room. He creeped the door open slowly to find his cousin sound asleep. He watched her for a few moments, watched as her body rose and fell with each breath. A thirst came over him, for the first time since she arrived he hungered for her. He shook it off before shutting the door. He knew the sun will be coming up in less than two hours, he made his way to his own bedroom to put his mind to rest.


****

Sabri woke up the next morning and knew it’d be just her around the mansion. Even with the thick velvet curtains through out the home Alex and his ghouls never awoke before sunset, unless something important was happening. She took over the house, indulging the freedom. She wore only her panties and a faded well worn black t-shirt of the rock band; Black Sabbath. It was her fathers, it was his favorite band. He saw them on the Master Of Reality tour on March 3, 1972 as a young carefree 18 year old, he told the story of being there wasted and rocking out, he barely remembered the experience. He had the tour shirt to prove he was there. Sabri loved that he shared all his stories from his younger days. The shirt was all she had left of her father, besides the memories. She sighed heavily out loud. She opened the freezer door and pulled out the pint of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream. She snatched a spoon from the near by drawer and made her way to the front room.

“There is no radio or tv in this place. I’m going to lose my mind.” She spoke to no one but herself. She took a seat on the soft red couch. The fabric was soft velvet and stuffed like a feathered pillow, it comforted her as she sunk more and more into it. She took her first spoonful of ice cream and couldn’t help moan out loud as she let it melt in her mouth. “This is heaven.” she giggled.

“Most would call it hell.” Alex made his presence known.

Sabri jumped out of her skin, startled by his voice. She almost choked on her ice cream, when she got herself composed she stared up at him with big brown eyes, “I didn’t realize you were awake.”

“I awoke when you awoke.”

Her brow creased, “Was I loud?”

He smirked, “No.”

She continued to give him a confused expression. Alex walked further into the room stopping in front of her. He took the spoon slowly and had a bite of cookie dough. “I miss the taste.”

Sabri looked down at the ice cream and then back up at her cousin, “You can’t taste ice cream?”

“I lost sight, taste, touch, remorse, I lost all things that make me human.”

“You didn’t lose all things.” She took her spoon back from him, not phased by his dark mood.

“How do you figure?” He asked as he took a seat in his chair near the fireplace.

“You have heart, it might not beat like mine. But it functions in the best way..” She paused as she looked up, making eye contact with her cousin, “.. You still love.”

“Love..” He spoke the word, not in question, not as a statement. He spoke the word as if it was music. A lyric to a beautiful masterpiece. It intrigued Sabri the way he spoke just then. She couldn’t take her eyes off her cousin, he was hauntingly beautiful. She never noticed before that moment.

“Do all vampires love? Or know how it feels to love?” She was curious. All she knew was from the myths, not much of her knowledge was found to be accurate now that she was aware that Vampires truly exist.

“Vampires. Night Walkers. None of us can love. Not the love mortals have. We know obsession, we know jealousy, we know lust, and we know pain. But not love.”

“I don’t believe that. You love me as family. You love your friends.” She stated as a fact. Or so she thought.

He laughed, his laughter was abnormal. It was wicked and frightening, “I don’t love you dear sweet naive Sabri. I have loyalty. I remember what love felt like before. I remember enough to know that I can no longer feel it or have it.”

“I’m sorry.” Sabri felt somber for her cousin, to not ever feel love again would be unimaginable to her. “So loyalty is the only reason I’m here. The only reason I’m still alive.” She wasn’t asking.

“You are very unwelcome in my world. You are food, you are a toy, mortals are never safe. I fear for your well being Sabri. I wish you would understand how dangerous this world really is. There are clans who have never been mortal. They have no memories of what being mortal was like. They hate even my kind; Mix-breed. That puts you in an even more dangerous position Sabri. You Are Not Safe. Even from me.”

“What? Alex...” She was baffled at his words. Before she could question or protest all he has spoken, Alex continued, “I mean you no harm Sabri. I can’t be for certain if I’ll always feel this way. It is unheard of; a mortal living in the presence of a night walker. I worry more about those who work for me harming you, than myself. Knowing, how your heart beat taunts me. Your warm blood flows through those veins arouses me. That it takes all my strength to keep the beast from taking your life, THAT brings fear to me. If I have to fight it. Want to fight it. What keeps those who work for me from taking your life?”

“You.” Her heart was pounding so fast. His words were seductive but frightening. She realized that her life was in danger even with Alex. And yet she felt there was no where else to go. “You stop them Alex. You’re powerful. I’ve seen it. You’re strong like a king. They would never turn on you, they would never go against your words. I’m safe because of you Alex.”

“Maybe.” He spoke soft, no longer was the vampire present. It was just a vulnerable man.

“I promise to not put my life in danger. I will do as I’m told. If you don’t want me to go somewhere I won’t. You don’t want me talking or being around certain people, I won’t. I will trust you and listen from now on Alex. I understand.” She hated it, but she knew it had to be this way.

“I don’t know if that’s enough.” He spoke as he stared into the fire.

****

“Nickolas... Nick.. Wake up, Nick...” the familiar voice echoed through his slumber. Nick opened his eyes slowly, “What Brian?”

“You awake?” Brian smirked, knowing his cousin is never in a good mood when he first awoke.

“I am now. Why did you wake me? I was having a blissful dream.” Nick smiled as he stretched in his over sized bed.

“I can see that.” Brian raised an eyebrow as he motioned towards Nick to cover up.

Nick quickly grabbed his comforter and covered his erection. Even in his dreams Sabri was so real. She was more forward and filled with such seduction in his dreams, how he hoped for her to be in life. He never wanted to wake up from those dreams he had of her. It was knowing he’d see her in reality that made it okay. Nick drifted away not hearing Brian talking, thoughts of Sabri from the night before running through his mind. He worried about his brother ruining things now that he knows of her.

“My prince, are you even listening?” Brian chimed into Nickolas’ thoughts once again.

“Huh? I’m sorry my dear cousin I have a lot weighing on my mind.”

“Who is she?” Brian smiled knowing his cousin all too well.

“Who? There is no she.” Nick tried to be convincing as he climbed out of bed and walked towards the bathroom. Not making eye contact with Brian.

As Nick freshened up, he listened to Brian go on, “Well, if it isn’t a girl on your mind, is it your father?”

Nick opened the bathroom door while wiping his face off with a towel, “What about my father?”

Brian shook his head, “My what a well informed Prince you are.”

“Cut the sarcasm Brian. Just get to the point I don’t have time...”

“...you planing to go somewhere this night? You can’t leave your family, the clan tonight. You have to be here. The Mclean’s...”

“.. Mclean’s? What about them? Alexander finally going to face my father?” Nickolas now paying attention to Brian. Needing to know what The Mclean Clan was up to.

“No, he has postponed again. But your father wants everyone to gather tonight. We must prepare ourselves for the time the Mclean Clan does want to meet.”

“I have no quandaries with their clan. I have no need to prepare for anything, I want no part.”

“Nickolas, you can’t keep denying what you are.” Brian disappointed with his cousin’s loyalty.

Nick ignored his cousin and finished getting ready. Brian took Nick’s silence as a cue to leave the room, so he did. Nickolas knew that his neglect towards his family and clan would not go over well, he was prepared for the backlash of it all. Nicolas didn’t want to worry about that now, all he could think of was her. Sabri. And what the thought of her meant to him. A whole other world he always wanted.

He spoke to the moon as he stood on his balcony like he did every evening. “Will this night bring her to me?”