- Text Size +
It's a hot afternoon in Orlando, Florida summer of 2001. Mina walked into the air conditioned family business "Richardson Garage" like she did every day. She walked pass the four young men that occupied the garage every afternoon, working on cars. She continued her way into the office she worked at for as long as she can remember in her short 19 years. She found her father on the phone doing business.

"Mina your late." Her father hung up the phone.

"Hello to you to Daddy. Who were you talking to?"

"No one you need to worry your little head about." He kissed the top of her head before walking out into the garage.

Mina sighed "I'm sure." She followed her father into the garage.

"Boys we need to finish this car before tonight." Mike Richardson the owner of the shop announced.

"What's so important about tonight?" Mina asked dreading the answer.

"I need this car to race." Her father answered.

"Race? Pops you haven't raced in years.. Well, you haven't raced anyone besides me that is." Mina's brother Kevin chuckled giving their father a hard time. She couldn't help but laugh with him.

"Boy, it's time for you to sit back and watch your old man run nines like you only wish you could."

All the fellas laughed. "Whatever you say old man." Kevin laughed. Mike grabbed Kevin and put him in a headlock. The two rough housed while everyone else laughed. Mina just shook her head and walked back into the office.

****

"You look really beautiful tonight Mina." Alex mentioned as he followed the other street rods to the secret location of tonights race.

"Thanks Alex." Mina knew Alex still loved her, she felt guilty for not being able to return the love. Times like this makes her actually wish she listened to her brother for once. Kevin warned her not to get involved with one of his friends. Because if it didn't work out she would have to deal with them being around even though she wasn't dating them anymore.

They pulled up and parked right beside her brothers car. There were so many cars and people lined up and down the street. Mina hated everything about street racing. It caused way to much trouble for her family and herself.

"Mina, Mina lovely Mina."

"What do you want Brian?" She rolled her eyes.

"We need a flagger." Brian another one of her Brothers friends. Brian was more than just her brothers best friend though. He was like a brother to her.

"Find somebody else." she leaned up against Alex's Black and Silver Honda S2000.

"Girl, get your ass out there and be the flagger." Her brother grabbed her arm and pushed her.

"Get your hands off Kevin! Don't treat me like one of your whores!" Mina fought back.

"I'll be the flagger." Kristi broke the two siblings apart.

"No, Mina will be the flagger." Kevin said between clinched teeth.

"Kristi can do it. So, why me?" Mina doing her best to get out of anything that had to do with Street Racing.

"Because Dad wants you out there." Kevin said peacefully.

Mina sighed and walked pass Kevin and through the people. Mina stood infront of the four cars roaring their engines. She looked over at the watcher who gave her the thumbs up to let her know that the cops we're clear. Her hands went up in the air and the drivers waited for her signal. Mina made eye contact with her father before dropping her hands and the cars flew by in 10 seconds flat.

"WHOOO!!!!" cheers from the hundreds of spectators roared through the street.

Mina rushed over to her family and watched from there. "Look at Mike go! Shit he's flying!" Alex yelled in excitement.

"He's gonna win." Kevin smiled and looked over at his sister to find her smiling back.

They both turned to see their father and the three other cars now heading up the street towards them. Mina's heart was pounding with excitement. As the cars went by she saw a flicker off the back of her dads car.

"Kevin! Did you see that?!" she tugged on her brother.

"See what?"

All of a sudden a huge explosion, a ball of heat came towards them, Knocking people to the ground. Mina's heart stopped as she realized that was her fathers car.

"DAD!!!" Kevin yelled as he ran towards the fire.

Mina jumped up off the ground and ran for her father along with others. "Dad.." She cried.

Kevin got as close to the car as he could without getting hurt. He yelled for their father and got no response. Mina came running right up behind him screaming in an awful cry "Daddy!! Help! Somebody Help us!! DAD!!!"

Kevin grabbed her, stopping her from reaching their father as he broke down in tears with her. They both fell to the ground in horror of just losing their father.