- Text Size +
The drive was quiet, Nick didn't want to say another word and ruin the day even more. He pulled up to Mina's home and she got out without saying a word. As Mina was walking towards the door she stopped and stood there for a moment, she took a deep breath before turning around. Nick watched her from inside his car wondering what she was doing. Mina walked back to his car as he rolled down his window.

"It was a good day Nick, I enjoyed spending time with you." She said with no emotion before walking back to the house.

Nick just rolled his eyes while shaking his head "Women." Nick pulled out of the drive.

"Where have you been?" Kevin asked right as Mina entered the house.

"Out for a drive with Nick. Why?" Mina dropped her stuff on the chair.

"Think you should let me know these things?"

"Don't get all fatherly on me now Kevin." She rolled her eyes while plopping into the chair.

"What did you do all day? With him." Alex butted in.

"We drove to Daytona. Talked. He drove me home. There, you both have now had the blow by blow of what I was doing. Ya happy?" Mina growled before walking out of the living room.

"Give me a P!" Brian cheered.

"P!" Alex, Kevin and Howie laughed.

"Give me a M!" Brian continued.

"M!" they went along.

"Give me an S! What that give us boys?!" Brian yelled with his arms stretched above his head.

"MOOD SWINGS!" Kevin yelled before they all laughed.

"What are you boys up to?" Kristi walked into the house hearing laughter.

"Nothing. Where've you been girl, Getting yourself a new man?" Kevin asked as Kristi took a seat on his lap.

"I didn't want to tell you but.. Yeah, I found a new man." she smirked.

"Mm, well, just tell him he'll have to go through me first." Kevin placed his lips to hers, leaving them there to linger for a moment.

"Could y'all go somewhere else and do that? Like your room?!" Alex grumbled.

"Oh, Alex, You still pouting about Mina?" Kristi asked with her bottom lip hanging out. Alex gave her a dirty look for his response. Kristi laughed before placing another kiss to her man's lips.

"You know AJ, You could find someone new." Howie hesitated.

"I think I'd be better off with no one. Thanks." Alex got up and left the room.

"Aw, don't be like that AJ." Kristi called out to him as he walked off "I didn't mean to upset him."

"Girl, you can't do any more harm than what has already been done. Mina's been breaking not just his heart but his whole being into tiny little pieces." Brian informed.

"What have I missed? They were still friends the last I knew." Kristi looked confused.

"We have no clue, and were trying to stay out of it." Howie responded.

****

Nick pulled up to Richardson's Garage the next morning. As he was walking up to the garage that extra hot morning he found Kevin, Brian and Howie working on a beat up Honda S2000.

"What you guys got here?" Nick asked.

"AJ's new car." Howie grinned.

"We're gonna surprise him with a new car since the boy has been so down in the dumps." Brian added.

"Not to mention it's my fault his other car got destroyed." Kevin slid from underneath the car "What you been up to Nick?"

"Just chillin'. You guys want some help?"

"Kev! The Eng..." Mina stopped in mid-sentence when she say Nick standing there in tight faded jeans and black fitted T-shirt.

"Earth to Mina, Come in Mina?" Brian chuckled.

She blinked and focused on Brian, "What?"

"How was your trip? Is there really life out there?" He kept a straight face.

"Yes, I found others just like you? They were wondering when you plan on coming home... As I was saying. Kevin I called and the Spoon Engine can be delivered here in two weeks."

"Great, somehow we need to keep this a secret from Alex for two weeks. Brian, keep your mouth shut." Kevin eyed his best friend

"What? My lips are sealed." He zipped his lips.

Howie and Mina rolled their eyes "Mmmhmm."

"How exactly ARE you going to keep this from him? He works here." Nick brought an excellent point up to their attention.

"Well, lately he's been just bumming around the house and running off to who knows where. So, if we can keep him away from here for awhile we might just get away with it." Kevin explained.

Mina walked back into the office as the boys continued to talk and work on AJ's car. She smacked her gum as she stocked the counter of car accessories. She put things in their place in a routine, like she's been doing this for her whole life and that may have to do with because this has been her life.

"Hey Mina, I'm about to head out. You gonna be at Movie night?" Howie asked.

"Where else would I be? Do I have a life outside you boys?" She looked over her shoulder.

"No, and why would you want anything but us in your life?" He smirked before walking out.

"Hey Howie!" Mina shouted as he walked out the door. He paused and walked back in.

"Yeah?"

"Where you going so early?" she asked curious.

"To find AJ and make sure he doesn't come here. We want to keep this car a secret. Why?"

"Well, I was just wondering when will we get to hang out like we use to? I want to go do something just you and I soon. I miss my Howie time."

He smiled "How about tomorrow? Just you and I."

"Cool." She beamed like the little girl Howie remembered when he first met her.

Howie walked back out and took off. Mina continued her usual office duties as the boys worked on AJ's car that at the moment doesn't look like much of a car.

****

Howie pulled up to the Richardson home and figured that's the best place to look for Alex first. He walked into the back door. "Hey Alex! You here?!" Howie yelled.

"Yeah!" Howie heard from the other room, he walked into the living room and found Alex lying on the couch watching TV. "Man, what are you doing?" Howie asked shaking his head in disappointment.

"Chillin'. Or as Kevin would say 'Chillin' like a villain'" Alex stuffed some potato chips in his mouth.

"Man, what is up? You never do this. Lying around the house stuffing your face like a slob."

"Did you come here to give me a hard time Howie? Or was there a real reason you decided to come over?" AJs annoyance was shown.

"Well, I came here to see if you wanted to hang out or something." Howie stood there feeling uncomfortable for the first time around Alex.

"Oh.." Alex paused "Well, what did you want to do?" Alex asked curious.

"Um, I really didn't think about it. What do you want to do? We have to be back here for the movie night in a few hours." Howie responded.

Alex shrugged "I'm happy where I'm at. You're welcome to join me." Alex flipped the channel to Jerry Springer.

Howie took a seat and sighed "I guess this will do."

~Richardson's Garage~

"So, what are you guys doing tonight? Is there a race?" Nick asked as he wiped his greasy hands on a rag.

"It's movie night." Brian responded.

"What's movie night? You guys go see a movie?" Nick asked.

"It's a tradition we have once a month at my house. We all get together and watch like three movies in one night. Just hang out and stay up all night. It's a tradition we started when we were really young and can't seem to break it." Kevin answered.

"That sounds cool, Hey Kevin, you think about what we talked about the other day? About Nascar?" Nick leaned on AJ's car.

Kevin cleared his throat before taking a sip of Mountain Dew "Yeah, I need to think a little longer."

"I'm heading out Kev. See ya tonight." Brian walked out of the garage, "LATTA MINA!"
"ADIOS!" Mina yelled from the office.

"Yeah, I better get going to." Nick said tossing the rag onto a counter of tools.

"Hey Nick?!" Kevin called out.

"What up?" Nick stopped.

"If you're bored tonight. I'm sure Mina wouldn't mind you hanging at our house. Just show up whenever. Like I said it's an all nighter." Kevin took another chug of soda.

"I just might stop by. Thanks." Nick walked out of the garage leaving Kevin alone.

"This car is gonna be a dream." Kevin ran his hand down the frame. "AJ should be damn happy with this beauty when we're done." Kevin talked to himself. He walked into the office to find Mina flipping through a magazine as she sat behind the counter.

"You ready to call it a day Baby girl?" Kevin locked the front door.

"Been ready. So, what are we renting tonight?" She jumped off her stool, threw the magazine on the counter.

"We're going with Scarface, Lethal Weapon 2 and Die Hard." Kevin answered as he turned out the lights following Mina out the office back into the garage.

"Sounds like a typical movie night. Someday y'all gonna watch somethin’ other than action flicks." Mina walked out the garage into the hot sun.

"What like some chick flick? That will never happen miss thang." Kevin pulled the garage door down and locked it.

"We'll see. I'll meet ya at home." Mina said as she got into her car.

"See ya." Kevin walked up to his car as Mina sped off.