- Text Size +
Mina stepped out of Brian’s car and let out a deep sigh. Alex looked over his shoulder at her and gave her a half smile. She didn't even notice. Alex turned back around with a set frown. Nick walked up to Kevin, "So, you want to check this place out or what?"

"Let's check it out." Kevin looked like a kid in a candy store. Kristi walked right by his side, hand in his back pocket making sure everyone knew he was her man. The place was packed with race fans and NASCAR drivers. Women to girls dressed in their shortest shorts and their tank top to crop tops. Men wearing their favorite driver shirt or sponsors, tight to baggy jeans, baseball caps, rugged to clean cut looks. Merchandise, hot dog, burgers, beer stands at every corner with long lines. Music played over the stadium as thousands of fans waited for the engines to roar.

"This place is the shit." Kevin smiled as he looked around.

"Yeah, it's the place I dream to drive someday." Nick smiled as he looked at the track from the bottom of the stands.

"I thought you said you drive NASCAR?" Brian was confused.

"I drive amateur. I'm not in the big league. Yet." He smiled then started walking up the metal steps as everyone followed him. Mina the last to follow and the only one without a smile.

Howie stopped and let Brian and Alex pass him so he could get back with Mina, "Mina what happen to the smile that's been on your face all day?"

"I'm sorry for being a downer Howie, but this whole place gives me nothing but more to worry about." Her forehead had creases and her mouth had a permanent pout.

Howie took her hand and they walked together to meet up with the rest of the gang who was now taking a seat about eight rows back. Howie and Mina joined them on the bleacher like seats. Mina sat in-between Nick and Howie. Nick took Mina's hand and kissed the back of it before smiling at her, then turned his attention back to Kevin. They talked about the NASCAR circuit and Mina listened but didn't understand any of it.

"Hey, Mina let's go get everyone some drinks." Kristi stood up.

"K." Mina shrugged and stood up. The two girls slowly made their way back down the bleacher stairs to go out to the food and drink stands.

"This place is trouble. And I love it." Kristi smiled mischievous.

"Well, you’re with the right man if you like trouble that's for sure." Mina's mood was shot for the day.

The two girls stood in line while men stared, smiled, winked at them. Mina rolled her eyes "Ugh, just what I want. A beer drinking, pot belly NASCAR freak drooling over me. This whole place is annoying."

"Girl ignore the old men and check out the young hotties. Like him." She pointed out a young man in his early twenties with spiky out of control dirty blond hair. Mina looked him up and down and she couldn't help but smile.

"Yeah he's a hottie. Okay so one out of a hundred." She laughed.

Mina and Kristi finally got to the counter and ordered seven drinks "Okay we can't get anything else. There's no way we can carry any more." Mina held four cups of beer.

"We'll have to come back." Kristi laughed.

"No, I think they should come back." Mina lead the way back to the stands. As she was walking up the bleacher stairs she saw the cute guy talking to Nick. She turned around stopping three steps up.

"Girl what are you doing?" Kristi laughed.

"I can't go up there."

"Why?" She laughed then looked around Mina to the guys. "Oh, because there's too many hotties for you to handle?"

"Yeah all I need is one more." She rolled her eyes.

"Come on I want to know who this cutie is." Kristi walked passed Mina. "Okay boys here's your drinks." Kristi handed one to Alex and one to Kevin.

"Here." Mina sat down while Nick, Brian and Howie grabbed their drinks from her.

"Mina, Kristi this is my friend Wade. He competes with me in amateur NASCAR." Nick smiled.

"Hey." Mina said before sipping her beer.

"Nice to meet you. I hear you’re totally against racing. Whys that?" Wade bluntly questioned Mina with a big smile.

"She doesn't like the danger." Howie answered for her.

"Danger is sexy. Isn't that right Wade?" Kristi flirted.

Kevin looked at her and then she stopped smiling, "What?"

"Remember who you’re here with." Kevin said jealous and pissed.

Mina rolled her eyes, "Danger isn't sexy. It's heart breaking and selfish. If you only care about yourself you race. If you have no one in your life that love you then race all you want. But if you have people who depend on you, love you and would die right along with you if anything ever happened. Then you’re a selfish bastard for ever getting in the car." Mina handed Howie her drink and she walked off. Not being careful as she rushed down the steps.

"Bad subject?" Wade cringed.

"Yeah." Howie sighed as he watched her.

"Damn, I've never seen anyone take racing so serious and hate it so much." Wade shook his head.

"There's a lot more in that girl. More than her anger and worry. She's just lost at the moment." Alex stood up and went to find Mina.

Wade looked at Nick, "Why aren't you going after your woman?"

"Because I think I'm the last person she wants. I don't understand that chick I swear. She's smiling and sweet one moment then ripping my head off and eating it for dinner the next." Nick laughed.

"Sounds like a feisty chick." Wade chuckled.

Howie looked at Nick then back at the track. He was angry and it was taking everything in him to not show it. "You know Nick, you'd understand her more if you would take the time to actually get to know Mina. Mina has been through a lot and you have no idea who she is or what she's been through. Mina is someone special and for some reason she decided to let you have a chance to be in her world. All I can say is, for the first time I don't agree with her decision." Howie got up and walked down the bleachers. Kevin and Brian looked at each other with wide eyes. Shocked by an out burst from Howie of all people, "Dayum." Brian laughed.

****

"You want me to take you home? I can get Howie's keys." Alex leaned up against the car next to Mina.

She didn't say anything at first. She just stared at the gravel. Seconds later she looked up at Alex, "Why do you put up with me? Why do you always come to my rescue small or big? When I'm the one who always treats you like shit."

He stared into her big emerald eyes, "Because I love you. You make it so difficult to love you, but I do. I always will Mina."

She looked back at the ground "I don't deserve your love Alex. I don't even deserve your friendship."

"Why would you say that?" He said so soft while never taking his eyes off her.

"You deserve someone so wonderful. Some girl who will treat you like the prince that you are. Someone who will make you happy. Someone... Not me." She looked up at him with tears ready to fall.

He pulled her into his arms, "Mina, Mina, Mina... Why are you so hard on yourself? Just let me love you." He held her tight.

Howie stopped three feet away from the car Alex and Mina stood embracing each other. He didn't move. He just watched them. Alex with his arms wrapped around Mina, her face buried into his chest.

"I want to go home Alex. Take me home..." She whispered.

He moved away from the car so he could open the door for her. She looked up and saw Howie. She walked away from the car and Alex. She went towards Howie. "I'm sorry for making such a scene once again."

"Mina you are just speaking your mind and we would be worried if you didn't." He smiled. "So.. what's going on with you and AJ?"

"He's taking me home. I don't want to be here." She leaned on Howie as he wrapped his arm around her. They walked to the car.

"I can take you both home." Howie said as they went towards the car.

Alex sat in the back seat with Mina while Howie got in the drivers seat. They knew she wasn't okay. She hasn't been okay for months. But, tonight could be when she finally breaks and let's the Mina they know and love come back to them. Howie looked in the rear view mirror looking at Mina who was allowing Alex to hold her. "Tonight is going to be a long emotional night."