- Text Size +
Howie pulled into the drive and parked his car. He turned to the two in the back-seat. Both curled up sleeping. So peaceful, completely free from stress or worry. He sighed.

~Flash Back~

Howie stormed into Mina's room to find that she wasn't alone. Alex looked like a deer caught in headlights "Howie. Howie, Howie, Howie man, Howie you cannot. And I do mean you cannot tell anyone you know about us." Alex stumbled as he pulled on his jeans in a nervous fret.

"Uh, um. I'll go." Howie not able to think straight. Shock was taking over his whole body.

"Howie, please promise." Mina begged from the sheet covering her.

"I won't say anything. But Alex, if Kevin or Mike find out you’re sleeping with their Baby Girl you will be a homeless man with no legs. And I don't want any part of that." Howie walked out of the room with his hands over his eyes.

*Moments later*

Mina sat down next to Howie on the concrete Stoop "Hey."

He looked over at her "hey." Is all he could say in return.

"Howie you’re my best friend and I know I should have told you,"

"Yeah you should have. I thought no secrets Mina. I tell you everything. My mother's drug addiction, my father's drunken out rages. My deepest thoughts and dreams. I thought we agreed we could trust each other with everything. Why didn't you tell me?" Howie looked mad and hurt.

Mina sighed with guilt "I don't know. I guess. Well, Howie this is different."

"How?" he looked over at her with probing eyes.

"I'm in Love. I've never been in love. Alex makes me feel like, I don't know it's so incredibly difficult to put in to words. I feel things I've never felt. Alex loves me in a way no one has ever loved me before. Do you know what that's like? I mean really know?"

Howie looked at her then down at the ground, "No."

"I didn't know how to tell you that Alex and I fell in love. It just happened. I mean you knew I had feelings for him and that we went out a few times. But then somehow it became more then just two people hanging out from time to time. It became more intense and confusing not to mention scary. It happened so fast."

"How long have you two been hiding?" Howie asked scared to know.

"Four Months." She crunched up her face scared to get his response.

"FOUR MONTHS!?" Howie asked in disbelief.

"I know, I know. But Howie once it started we didn't know how to tell anyone. For one thing Kevin act's like he's okay with the whole crush thing but you and I both know he'd flip if he knew how much more is going on besides some crush. If he knew what was between Alex and I, He'd be beyond difficult to deal with. And not to mention my father would not just kill Alex but I'm sure I'd be decapitated."

"But you could have told me." Howie looked back at her with such hurtful eyes.

"I should have. I'm sorry." She leaned her head on his shoulder, and gave puppy dog eyes, "You don't hate me do you?"

"Mina you know I could never hate you." he sighed with defeat.

"You won't tell anyone will you? I mean about Alex." She lifted her head off his shoulder giving him a pout.

"No, I won't tell. But you two can't hide forever. They will find out. I can't believe you've been able to hide it this long. I mean you're all under the same roof." Howie shook his head.

"I know and we'll tell them soon. I just don't know when or how." She sighed.

~Flashback ends~


Howie reached over to wake the two sleeping in the back seat "Hey, we're home."

Mina sat up with slightly opened eyes "We're home already? Wow, I can't believe I slept that good. I haven't slept soundly in months."

Howie frowned at her, "Well, I'm glad you got some sleep," He looked over at Alex who was out cold, "AJ! Wake UP!" Howie smacked Alex's leg.

"What?" Alex sprung up out of a deep sleep. Making Mina and Howie chuckle.

"We're home." Mina smiled before getting out of the car.

Howie followed Mina into the house as Alex slowly emerged from the car. Mina plopped down into the recliner in the living room. Howie stood in the middle of the room looking at her. She yawned before looking up at him looking at her, his eyes connected with hers. "I miss you Mina, We all miss you." His voice cracked.

Alex walked into the house right before Howie spoke. When he heard the voice of a destroyed Howie he slowly walked into the room. Not wanting to interrupt but also needing to be apart of what will occur.

Mina's forehead crinkled with confusion, "I'm right here Howie what are you missing?"

"You. The girl that had a smile that could bring my abused heart back to a warm fully beating heart. The girl that could make us laugh with the silliest of ways, and had a laugh that was something like music. I miss the spunky but warm hearted woman you grew up to be, but has been taken from us all just months ago." Howie stood there feeling drained.

Alex didn't move from the wall that separated the living room to the entrance of the home. He doesn't remember when he started holding his breath. Or when the beating of his heart became so loud. "Mina." He finally spoke.

She looked over her shoulder to see Alex walk into the room and take a seat on the couch near her chair. He sat on the edge of the sofa his arms resting on his knees as he leaned to be closer to her "Mina, you know I love you. And I've been sitting back quiet for too long. I'm glad Howie had the courage to bring up the fact you've been gone. I'm scared that you’re gone forever,"

"I'm not Gone. I'm not someone else. You speak about me like I’m dead. I don't know why you guys are being so dramatic. I'm fine." she interrupted in disbelief of what is being brought to her attention.

"Mina you're not fine." Howie said still standing in the middle of the room.

"What do you two want from me? I don't know what you want." She started getting angry and uncomfortable.

"To stop shutting us out. Stop bottling up all your feelings. Yell, cry, fight, just do something other then shutting everyone out." Howie explained as he walked closer to her.

"I don't have the need to do those things. I'm fine. Why can't you two realize that I'm FINE?" she threw up her hands as she leaned back into her recliner annoyed.

"You are not Fine." Alex grumbled.

"Don't tell me what I feel. You don't have that connection with me anymore Alexander. Don't you forget THAT." She got into Alex's face, she was filled with anger.

"Mina?" Howie tried to get her to stop attacking Alex but was ignored.

"Fine if hurting me makes you feel better go for it. Tear me down. But I WILL NOT let you hide from me anymore." Alex stood his ground.

Mina got out of her chair to leave the room but Howie grabbed her by the arm. She looked down at his hand wrapped around her small arm "Howie?" He's never been forceful with her before.

"I can't let you run this time Mina. Not this time." He spoke so gentle, so sad.

"Fine you guys want me to yell?" she asked as she paced the living room floor.

"Yes, if that's what will help." Alex answered from the sofa.

"You want me to Cry?" she continued to pace while the boys sat back and watched her as she started to let go, it was like watching a ticking time bomb. "I'm angry. I'm pissed off at the world. I want my father back. I want my brother to stop acting like some tough guy and be the protecting teddy bear he always use to be to me. I want the racing world to not exist. I Want My Life Back! I want the life we all use to have filled with fun and carefree living, instead of heartache and pain. I WANT PEACE!!" She yelled the last part with tears.

The two men sat there not able to move nor knowing what to do. She stood in front of them with tears streaming down her face as she expressed her feelings in anger, "I want my father to come through that door hollering 'Baby girl, I have a surprise for you.' me in return running into the room like so many times I did before to find that my surprise is a big bear hug from my father, like he always gave me after coming home from the garage full of mechanic grease and dirt. I miss my moments with him that no one else saw or had from him. I feel so empty. I.. Feel.. alone."

"Mina you’re not alone. You have Kevin. You have us." Howie went to her wrapping his arms around her as she in return held on to him so tight. Gripping his shirt with so much strength, trying to release her hate and fear. She sobbed and clung to him. "I miss him so much Howie."

"Shhh, I know." He didn't know what to say. He looked at Alex who sat there looking like a broken child.

"Why? Why did he get taken from me?" She asked full of pain.

"I don't know. I don't understand it myself. But, Mina God always has a reason and we have to respect it and go on with our lives." Howie pulled away to be able to look at her.

Alex got up "Mina. Mike would be upset that you have stopped living because of him. I can hear him now 'Mina, get your ass out of the house and live girl.'" Alex deepened his voice to sound like Mike Richardson. Making Mina laugh and Howie smile.

Mina touched Alex's arm with a smile, "You're right. You both are. I know I need to stop mourning and start living. But it's just so hard to go on with out the one person who was always there." she frowned.

"He's still here Mina. He will always be with you. Apart of you." Alex spoke soft and sincere.

She just smiled at him with what little strength she had left. She exhaled, "I'm exhausted you guys. Can we just drop this for now?"

"Yeah. I think we've all had enough." Alex gave her a half smile.

She walked out of the room and both Howie and Alex dropped to the couch with an exhale. They looked at each other and sighed "Well, are we the biggest assholes or the greatest friends for making her break down like that?" Howie asked Alex.

"I don't know. I really don't know. I'm still worried about her Howie." Alex stared up at the ceiling with a frown.

"Me to Alex. Me too."

They both sat there in silence thinking. Minutes later Alex stood from the couch and went for Mina's room. He knocked softly on her bedroom door but there was no answer. He opened it slowly and saw her toss and turn. "Mina?"

She lifted her head to see him "Come on in Alex." She whispered.

Alex took off his shoes before crawling into her bed. He lied there not knowing if he was welcome to hold her or not. She curled up into him showing him she needed his presence that evening. "Just don't hate me Alex."

"What? Mina stop saying I hate you."

"I don't mean to hurt you. And sometimes I don't realize I've done anything hurtful. Truth is I don't think anymore I just explode, I just react." She rested her head on his chest as he wrapped an arm around her.

"What is the deal with you and Nick?" he had to know.

"Let's not talk Alex. I'm tired of talking. Just stay with me tonight." She closed her eyes. Feeling like she could for at least tonight sleep peaceful.