- Text Size +
As Howie lied there in the living room staring at the ceiling in the pitch dark he wondered “Are we going to be okay? Is Mina going to be able to ever except the fact she is now an orphan? I know you took Mike for a reason, what reason I'm not sure. But, why take Mina from us and leave someone else? God, I don't think any of us can handle anymore drama in our lives. Please bring some peace into our lives soon.”

As Howie finished his talk with God he allowed his heavy eyelids to close. Letting his worry of his family falling apart drift away as he fell into a dream. As Howie was completely relaxed and peaceful he realized he was no longer in a dark room. He peeked opened his eyes to see that the ceiling had bright lights shining upon it. He sat up and looked out the big picture window behind the sofa he called his bed. Kevin and Kristi emerged from the first car. Right behind them was Nick and Brian all walking up the lawn to the front door.

"YOU Have To Admit That Would Be Cool!" Brian laughed loudly.

"Shhh, people maybe sleeping around here." Kevin hushed.

"So, what's your point?" Brian asked.

"You're so rude Bri." Kristi laughed.

"This is not news." Kevin chuckled.

Nick just quietly followed the others into the house wondering if Mina would still be up. Howie walked over to a lamp to turn on a light, "What time is it?"

"Jesus Howie why not give us some warning next time." Brian grabbed his heart after all four jumped out of their skin.

"Sorry, you guys just now getting back from the race?" Howie asked as he leaned on the recliner still letting his eyes adjust to the light.

"Well, we hung out at the track after the race and checked out one of the Grand Prix cars. You should have stayed Howie the shit was tight." Kevin beamed as he talked.

Howie smiled slightly, "So you going to ask about your sister?"

Kevin's brow creased in question, "Why? What's up?"

"She finally had her breakdown." Howie stared into Kevin's eyes.

The four all stared at Howie waiting to hear what happened while Howie didn't say a word. Kevin dropped his keys on top of the television before taking a seat. "What happen Howie?"

"Well, AJ and I confronted her and she finally just let it all out. How angry she is and scared. She feels alone and confused Kev. She's really messed up in the head. I mean she's hurting more then she's letting on. What scares me is if something happens to you.." Howie didn't finish.

"Nothings going to happen. Is she here?" Kevin stood up.

Howie just nodded yes. Kevin walked out of the living room leaving Brian, Nick and Kristi awkwardly waiting in the living room with Howie. "Should I go?" Nick asked.

"No, she may want you here. You're her man right?" Kristi's brow raised.

Nick just shrugged while Howie frowned. Brian sat down next to Howie for the first time in a while not cracking a joke or even smiling. "What exactly did I miss?" He asked Howie. Howie began to tell them all.

Kevin knocked twice on the door before entering. He found Alex holding Mina in his arms as she slept silently. Alex on the other hand not sleeping, he stared at the dresser of pictures that sat across from the bed. Kevin stepped into the room quietly "AJ?" he whispered.

Alex raised his head to see Kevin standing at the end of the bed. He didn't say anything, truth was he didn't know what to say and wasn't sure what Kevin was feeling at the moment.

"Is she okay?" Kevin's voice showing his concern.

"At this moment, yes. But all together.."

"..No." Kevin sighed as he answered his own question.

"She wanted me to stay.. I stayed because. I mean." Alex stumbled over his words.

"I don't care AJ. If she wants you here then be here." Kevin stood there like he's just been beaten up. Not really sure of how bad things are or how to fix it.

"Are you going to be okay Kevin?" Alex asked.

"Not until she is.. AJ? can you?" Kevin started to ask but not needing to finish Alex understood he wanted to be the one taking care of Mina this time. Alex slowly moved away from the only woman he wanted to protect. Her arm fell to the bed as he slid out from under her. She grumbled in disapproval before burying her head in the pillow that still had Alex's warmth and smell. Leaving her bed he felt he was leaving apart of himself with her. He walked passed Kevin and left the room not saying a word.

Kevin stood there watching his sister sleep, she started to squirm so he got into the bed. "I'm here Baby Girl, I will always be here. You're safe." He spoke so softly too her. Holding her just as scared to lose her as she is of losing him.

A tear began to fall as he closed his eye lids "Let her have comfort again, Let her be okay. I need her to be okay." he kissed the top of her head as he let another tear fall.

Mina knew the man next to her was no longer Alex. She knew who it was and he made her feel protected and not alone just like the man she fell asleep with. "Kevin?" she spoke barely over a whisper.

"It's me Baby girl. I heard you had a tough night."

She sat up eyes still half closed "How long have you been home?"

"Just got home. I'm sorry I wasn't here for you." he frowned.

"Do you miss him?"

Kevin didn't answer right away, a lump in his throat made it difficult to swallow. Mina didn't move or speak she just waited for his answer. Kevin sat up and sighed before finally answering "Of course I do."

"So much it hurts?"

He nodded she barely saw his movement but she did catch it. She looked down at the comforter that was bundled around her, "I'm terrified of losing you Kev. I lost dad and I never thought that would happen. Half my heart is gone and I don't think I could manage for the other half to be ripped out right along with the other. It takes so much for me to want to get out of bed in the morning knowing someone is missing. Then add the fear of losing you and it's just destroying me little by little."

"I can't stop you from worrying Mina. I wish I could take all your fear and hurt away. But I can't.. I'm angry and hurt that Dad's gone just as much as you are but, I know I have to keep going and make him proud as he watches from above. The fear of losing me destroys you. But the pain I watch you go through day to day destroys me." he honestly admitted.

"I want our lives to go back to being normal. As normal as we ever were anyway." She chuckled to herself trying to hide the fact she had shed tears.

"We'll get back to that normalcy someday Baby Girl. Someday soon." He leaned back down resting his head on two soft feathered pillows.

"You promise?" She asked softly.

"Promise." He closed his eyes as he answered.

"I can't handle anymore of the nightmares Kevin. The nightmares come whether I'm sleeping or awake. I just want it all to stop." She sighed as she lied back down.

"Close your eyes Mina, and forget about your fears and worries. Just let your mind go and remember the good times." she closed her eyes as she listened to her brothers comforting voice.


~Outside Mina's Bedroom Door~

Alex leaned his head against the wall "Let me take your nightmares away forever Mina. Let me take care of you again." Alex sat there for almost an hour as he waited for the room to be completely quiet. The brother and sister both finally falling asleep soundly, he got up off the floor and dragged his tired body to his bed.

Nick moved away from the doorway where he was standing out of AJ's eye sight. He stood there for longer then he could remember, watching a man sit on the other side of a bedroom door that held a fragile girl. A girl he could see meant more to the one sitting outside the door then the man standing in the hallway entrance. He thought he had Mina and really wanted to believe she was falling for him. But truth is he was just distracting her from what she really loved. And that was Alex. Nick sighed with a frown and made his way out of the house.