- Text Size +
Mina held up the checkered flag, the roar of the engines rang through her ears, she swallowed slowly as she looked into Alex's eyes who stared into hers. She closed her eyes as she turned her head to the right, Mina opened them looking right into Nick, who was staring down the flag. She took a deep breath as she quickly looked over to Howie who shook his head yes letting her know the coast was clear. Mina dropped her hands and two fast cars flew by her. She turned quickly to watch them go as the sound of the crowd rooted Alex and Nick on. Mina hurried over to Brian, Howie and Kevin to wait and see who the winner would be. She was excited about this race, it's been a long time since she could feel the excitement of a street race. She can't even remember the last time she really enjoyed watching. But tonight, tonight was different. It wasn't just about money or pride, tonight she was watching two men she was fighting in her own mind and heart. She watched them both race for their pride and five grand, while she raced to see who would be the one her heart would choose. Her mind was swimming filled with confusion, she has chosen to stop thinking and let her heart do the rest.

"AJ's in the lead, Oh MY GOD, look at him!!" Howie jumped up and down with a wide smile.

"Shit, I didn't think he'd..." Kevin began.

".. No matter what you thought, that boy is kicking ass." Brian finished.

Mina bit her lip and watched Alex's chrome front bumper pass Nick's. Alex was in the lead, only one mile to the finish line and Alex wins. The corners of her mouth began to form a smile until out of no where Nick's car flew by and completely left AJ behind. She didn't know why she couldn't be happy for Nick. But her smile was no longer there and she didn't know if she should go to Nick or Alex at this moment. She turned to her left to see that she wasn't the only one still standing there. Kevin and Brian rushed off to congratulate Nick, while Howie stood by Mina, not looking off at the crowd that surrounded Nick, but at her. His chestnut eyes staring at her as if he waited for her next move.

"Why aren't you out there celebrating?" she asked.

"What's to celebrate? Alex didn't win." Howie leaned on his car.

"You don't like Nick do you Howie?" Mina asked.

"I don't know him, and I don't trust what I don't know." He broke eye contact and looked over at the crowd.

Mina followed his gaze and found Alex looking more angry then she's ever saw him before. Her brow creased as she watched him walk up to Nick pushing people out of the way. She didn't hear what was said but knew it wasn't good when Alex slugged Nick. Howie rushed for the now full out fight between the two men as Kevin and Brian tried to break it up.

***

~Minutes before~

"I'm going to win!" Alex got pumped as he glanced at his side mirror watching Nick's car get smaller. His excitement turned to shock when all of a sudden Nick's car flew by and the race he thought was his was now Nick's. He lost the race. Alex slammed on his breaks and sat there watching everyone run for Nick's car as he emerged from the automobile that just made him the evenings winner. Everyone jumping up and down, giving him high fives, smiling as they congratulate him. "That should be me." Alex's eyes creased to slits of fury.

He got out of his car and walked towards Nick, pushing anyone who got in his way. When he found himself standing in front of Nick he stared into him, Nick gives a smirk, "I believe you owe me Five Grand."

"You got my money, and that's all you'll ever get. Remember that." Alex growled.

Nick chuckled, "No, I've got more than your money AJ. Let's not forget I got Mina."

Before he could think Alex's fist met Nick’s face. Nick spit blood from his mouth before looking up back into AJ's furious eyes, "I knew you never had class. Maybe if you did a girl like Mina could love you." Nick went to walk away, though Alex had other ideas. Alex went at Nick full force crushing him up against his winning car, Nick trying to fight back as Alex continues to throw fist after fist. Nick breaks away quick enough to finally throw his own fist. The fight soon had others join in and a mess of men throwing fists, kicking and pushing out of control. Mina couldn't believe her eyes. Watching her brother trying to separate Alex and Nick from killing each other at the same time having to throw his own punches to protect himself. Brian and Howie at some point jumped in on the fight and quickly she lost sight of them. Everything in her world was going out of control.

"STOP IT! PLEASE!!! JUST STOP!!" she yelled but wasn't heard.

As Mina stopped yelling she heard sirens, more fear was brought to her. Police cars pulling up with sirens blaring and lights flashing. Soon everyone was scattering no longer caring about what they were fighting for. Kevin stood there holding Alex back from Nick.

"AJ just get in your car we gotta go man." Kevin pushed Alex.

"This isn't over asshole!" Alex pointed at Nick as Kevin continued to push him towards his car.

"Mina let's go!" Howie ran passed her, she finally broke her stare from the other men and hurried to her car.

****

"I don't give a fuck! This guy isn't cool and this whole time I have seen right through him, yet all of you were fooled! Especially Mina." Alex paced the floor in anger.

"Well not all of us, I didn't trust him." Howie said under his breath.

"What?" Alex stopped and looked at Howie.

"What?" Howie looked up at Alex.

"You say something?"

"Uh, well, yeah. I was just saying that um, I never trusted that Nick guy either. But, AJ, I don't think Mina is going to be too thrilled you beat him up." Howie spoke hesitantly.

"Yeah well, sometimes Mina doesn't know what's best for her. And this guy is not who she needs in her life."

"But you are?" Kevin interrupted as he walked into the living room.

Alex stopped pacing to look over at Kevin, AJ showing anger for a few seconds before it turned to a soft hurt man "I didn't say that."

Kevin's eyebrows raised in question, he stood there looking at Alex who now was looking out the window. Kevin watched Alex as Alex watched Mina's every movement.

She slowly emerged from her silver Mitsubishi Eclipse shutting the car door behind her, she looked to her right hearing a car pull up behind hers. It was Nick's red Toyota Supra. She couldn't believe he had the nerve to show up at her house after all that just happened.

"What are you doing here?" she asked him worried, as he got out of his car.

Alex moved so quick Kevin and Howie had no idea what just occurred. Alex one moment staring out the living room window is now outside. Howie looked out the window to see an angry Alex yelling at Nick while Mina tried to separate the two by standing in the middle putting a hand on each of them.

Howie sighed, "We have trouble."

Kevin hurried over to the window to see what Howie was talking about. When he saw the scene outside he rushed out of the house. "AJ, chill out man." Kevin tried to calm Alex down. There was no fists or even words being thrown at the moment. Just a lot of tension as Alex stares down Nick, with only Mina keeping them separated.

"I'm so sick and tired of this shit, whatever the problem is between you two it needs to stop." Mina hissed in disgust.

"The problem is your ex-boyfriend doesn't want to believe you're over him. So he's all up on me for taking what he can't have." Nick bluntly announced.

Mina's jaw dropped, knowing there was always jealousy, but never had it occurred to her that it was the only thing that had the two men at each others throats. "Jealousy? This is all out of jealousy? I got news for you both. At this point neither of you have me." She got back into her car, started the ignition and rolled down the window "I suggest moving your car or I'll hit it." she said in all seriousness.

Nick started walking towards her car, "Mina, come on, get out of the car lets talk."

She rolled her eyes and shifted in to reverse while hitting the gas she rammed right into Nick's car, smashing the front making the bumper fall off. "FUCK! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" he yelled.

Howie and Alex laughing hysterically as Kevin just shook his head and walked towards the house. "Dude, I'd just get in the car and move it." Howie chuckled.

Mina shifted into drive to move forward. Nick ran to his car, jumping into the drivers seat and starting the car yelling "FUCK FUCK FUCK!" just as he shifted Mina's car was coming towards him, he pushed the gas pedal and moved out of her way. Mina's car moved right passed his, then flew down the street going at least 60 mph.

Nick decided to leave as well, knowing all that would happen is another fight. He got out of the car picked up the bumper and tossed it in the back seat before leaving. While Alex and Howie still chuckling as they walk into the house.

****

The next morning Mina walked into the house, she opened the front door quietly trying not to wake anyone. When she went to walk pass the living room she found her brother sitting in the chair. "What are you doing up at this hour?"

"I've been waiting for you, are you alright?" he asked with a deep raspy voice.

"I don't know. I've been driving all over trying to clear my head. Figure out how this whole mess has gotten out of hand." She plopped on the couch.

"Did you figure things out?"

Mina sighed, "No, all I got was more frustrated and confused. Why is it so hard Kev? Why can't I just find a guy and be happy with him? Instead I get two guys who both have great potential yet are both a pain in the ass."

Kevin smirked, "I don't know baby girl, but you do have a problem. And if you don't figure things out soon. It'll just get worse. Those two guys are getting more worked up as you sit here and think."

"Why do I have to figure things out? Why can't those two just work it out and let me know how it all turned out?" she chuckled.

"Because Alex and Nick will never stop fighting for you. Neither are willing to let you go. I can't blame them, but I think all of this is getting way out of hand."

"Yeah it is out of hand, but I don't know what to do."

"Stop thinking with your brain, start thinking with your heart. Figure out who you want and things will be over."

"I don't think it's that easy." She frowned.

"Well as many people say Mina, Life isn't easy." Kevin got up out of the chair and stretched, "Now that your home, I'm going to bed."

"What about the garage?" Mina raised an eyebrow.

"I own the place I can open when I feel like it." he shuffled his feet as he walked out of the living room.

"You want me to wake you in two hours?" She asked.

"Yeah." he answered before shutting his bedroom door. She smirked knowing her brother so well, always responsible when it came to family and their business.

Mina pushed herself off the couch and headed towards her bedroom. Her bed has been calling for her for many hours. As she opened the door Alex opened his, peeking his head out "Hey." his voice soft and raspy showing he just woke up.

Mina looked over at him, "Hey."

Alex stepped out of his room, "Can we talk?"

She stared into his beautiful brown eyes, she didn't say anything just stared into him, her eyes were getting so heavy. He moved slowly towards her, staring back into her eyes. His hand moved across her hip to her lower back, he pulled her up against him "I'm in love with you Mina Richardson, my heart breaks more and more each day as I wait for you to return the love." His voice was just a whisper, he had so much desire and lust in not just his eyes but his voice too. He bent his head down just close enough for his lips to brush against hers as he spoke. "I need you Mina. I need you more than you could ever understand. I'm suffocating without you."

She breathed him in, remembering how much she loved his presence. She closed her eyes for a few seconds as she allowed him to press his lips to hers. He took her bottom lip softly into his mouth. Alex lingered for seconds before stepping away from her. He said no more, letting her just take everything in. He stared down at her as she slowly reopened her eyes to look up at him. He smiled before walking back into his room.

Mina entered her bedroom and fell across her bed with a big grunt, "UGH, WHY!?" she buried her face into the pillow. "This is not going to be easy." she sighed before allowing much needed sleep take over.