- Text Size +
Mina wiped a tear from her cheek, she turned her head so Alex wouldn't see her once again crying. She thought that talking with Alex would make her less confused, but she found she was even more confused, "Why did I break it off? I love him so much. How can I love someone but not be happy with them at the same time?"

Alex walked back to the rock and sat down with a heavy sigh, "Mina, You don't need me to figure things out. You know where I stand. You have to sit down and just try and figure out what you want. Only you can do that."

Mina frowned, "I know."

Alex got back up from the rock, "I’m going to go. There’s nothing else to say." He looked more heart broken now than he was when he arrived. Mina looked up at him, she had nothing to say, nothing that would make him stay with her.

"Thank you for coming out here Alex. I’m.."



"Don’t apologize anymore Mina, it just makes it worse." Alex sighed defeated, and walked away. He disappeared into the trees leaving Mina alone with her thoughts.



****

"It happens tonight man, are you ready?! Are you pumped?!" Nick was full of excitement.

"I can’t believe I’m going to be driving in a real race. Even though it’s amateur It feels big time. Man, I can’t thank you enough for making this happen." Kevin was pacing the living room floor.



Nick received a phone call that changed Kevin’s evening completely. They were all in front of the television enjoying a movie when the call interrupted. Quickly it was evident that the call was something big, something great. Nick was ready to bounce off walls by the time he hung up. "Kevin, how would you feel driving Nascar? Tonight."

Kevin of course was more than ecstatic. It was a dream come true. "I feel it’s about fucking time!" Kevin became just as hyper as Nick.

Everyone was happy except one, Mina, she didn’t say anything, she knew nothing would stop her brother now. She watched everyone freak out over the news and than pile out of the house, they had to get to the track. It wasn’t Daytona but it was a race track where Kevin will be competing with other drivers, with rules, with more adrenaline.

Mina stopped Kevin from walking out the door, she looked at Nick who was right behind her, "Doesn’t he need to know how to drive in a race with that kind of car? Or even with that many cars around him at high speed? Kevin this isn’t a straight way, it’s a loop. Are you sure you should be doing this. Tonight, now?" Mina was worried.

"He’ll be fine, he knows how to handle a car. Stop worrying Mina." Nick assured. Kevin smiled, "Yeah Mina, tonight is going to be great." and the two boys walked out the door.



She wasn’t so sure her brother could handle it. But all she could do was hope everyone was right. She looked over at Alex, who has ignored her since they returned to the house after their talk. He looked just as worried, but as usual didn’t speak up. "Alex talk to him." She begged in a whisper.

"No one can stop Kevin, Mina. You of all people should know that." He spoke without looking at her and then walked out the front door following everyone else.

Mina quickly walked out of the house, shutting the door behind her and getting in Howie’s car. There was no way she could drive while stressing about her brother. Nick, Brian, Kevin and Kristi all rode together in Nick’s car. While Howie, Alex and Mina followed in Howie’s car. The drive was 45 minutes. Both cars with completely opposite emotions. Nick’s car filled with excitement, non-stop talking. While Howie’s car was dreadfully silent.

When they pulled up to the race track people were already in the stands, pit crews were checking out the cars. Drivers were getting themselves ready mentally for the race. "Are we running late?" Kristi asked.

"A driver backed out of the race, that’s how Kev got a slot. We not going to have the time to prep like the rest. Your pit crew are great guys, so you’ll be fine. I’m going to be in your ear through the whole race, talking you through it. So all you have to do is drive. You ready for this?" Nick smiled with both his hands on Kevin’s shoulders.

"I’m ready, man, I’m so ready for this." Kevin was cocky.

"Come on you guys let’s go get a seat." Kristi pulled Mina with her. Alex, Howie and Brian patted Kevin on the back before following the girls.

They found a spot to sit, it was busy but it wasn’t packed like Daytona was. This was an amateur race, no big names and during the middle of the week. There was only hardcore race fans there that night. Men and Women who didn’t care if the drivers were pros or not, they just wanted to see a good car race. Mina couldn’t stop her leg from bouncing as she sat in between Kristi and Howie.

"I feel sick." Mina breathed.

"Relax, everything will be fine." Kristi smiled.

Howie took Mina’s hand, gave her a half smile. "Just have faith Mina."

It was only a few minutes later when all the cars got into position. Kevin’s car number 58 was last. The announcer got the crowd full of energy and the flag man waved the flag in the sky giving the okay for the race to start. The cars took off and lap after lap Kevin was moving his way closer to the front. His friends in the crowd screaming and rooting for him. Mina was no longer scared, "Omg, he could do this. He could win!" she was on her feet with the rest of them. Hearts beating fast, excitement taking over fear.

"Only three laps to go!" Brian yelled as the cars flew by.

Kevin passing car left and right. Taking the tight turns like he’s been doing this kind of racing all his life. At turn 3 only two laps to go. It all went wrong. Car number 22 nudged Kevin’s bumper and sent him out of control. Silence among the friends, eyes glued to the out of control car. "Omg, omg." Mina breathed over and over watching her brother spin, getting closer to the wall. As a car came up and hit him again, sending him straight to the wall. The car started on fire.

Mina screamed, "KEVIN!!!!!!!!!" All of them rushing down the bleachers in a panic. They ran to get closer but stopped, not allowed to get on the track. The race has been stopped, the caution flag has been waved, the rest of the drivers where now pitting.



All eyes were on Kevin’s car, as the fire department extinguished the fire, and emergency people rushed to get Kevin out. He wasn’t moving as they pulled him out of the car. Nick was among the people helping. While Kevin’s family watched in horror, the girls crying and yelling.

"Please, God, let him be okay. Please, don’t take him from me." Mina cried into Howie’s shoulder. Howie holding her tight as he kept his eyes on the accident.

As Kevin was put into the back of the ambulance, Nick came running over to the small family, "Nick, is he going to be okay?" Kristi hysterical.

"I don’t know. He’s alive, but unconscious. They are taking him to Florida Hospital." Nick looked just as freaked out as the rest of them.

"Let’s go." Alex spoke pulling everyone along.

Kristi went with Nick, while the other four drove with Howie. "This can’t be happening." Mina spoke breaking the silence in the car. She sat in the backseat with Alex. He pulled her over to him, embracing her tight allowing her to cry. He was doing all he could to hold back his own tears. Afraid his best friend could be taken from him tonight.

The family got to the hospital, all frantic and begging for any information. Being ignored and told to just take a seat, angered them, Brian went off, "Look Bitch, Our brother is in there dying for all we know! Let us see him or go find out what the fuck is going on!"

"Brian, stop, you’re not helping." Howie placed his hand on Brian’s shoulder.

"This is bull shit Howie!" Brian was still angry.

"I know, just go sit down, I’ll see what I can find out." Howie took over, showing calmness, all the while inside he too was freaking out.

Brian took a seat across from Mina, Mina and Kristi holding hands silently crying as they waited for news. Alex pacing back and forth feeling helpless in more ways than one. He wanted to take care of Mina, all the while he was hurting just as much. Hating that they had no answers, not knowing if Kevin was alive or dead.

Howie walked over to his friends in the Emergency Room waiting room, "He’s in surgery. That’s all she can tell us for now." Howie looked beat up as he took a seat next to Brian.

The waiting was excruciating, the longer they had to wait, the worse they imagined. "What happens if he dies?" Mina blurted out.

"Don’t say that." Kristi looked horrified.

"I don’t know what I’d do if he died. I can’t take care of the business, I can’t pay the mortgage. I’ll be alone, I’ll have no one."

"Mina! Stop. You’re being selfish. I. I. I. Shut the fuck up already, stop worrying about yourself." Brian blew up again.

Mina got up and walked away, Alex followed her, Finding her leaning against the wall away from everyone, "He didn’t mean it. He’s just worried like we all are."

"He’s right though, I am selfish." she stared at the ground.

"Maybe. But we love you anyway." He chuckled.

Making her smile, "Stop. I can’t laugh now. My brother.."

"I know Mina. I know." He pulled her into his arms yet again, she buried her head into his chest as she let her fear filled tears stream down once more. "Thank you for being here Alex." Mina spoke as she pulled away.

"Where else would I be? You guys are my family."

"Yes you are." She gave a half smile as she wiped away her tears, "And we should be with our family." She took his hand and they walked back to the waiting room.

Nick was sitting away from everyone, It was obvious he was beating himself up. His hands gripping his hair as he sat with his head hanging down. No one talking to him, no one reassuring him that it wasn’t his fault. He was left to be tortured with the thoughts that he could have just killed Kevin Richardson.



"Ms. Richardson?" A man in a white coat spoke.

The family all stood up as Mina responded, "I’m Mina Richardson, is my brother okay?" She was scared to hear the answer.

The doctor gave a smile, "Your brother is going to be just fine. He broke his left leg, we had to do surgery to reconstruct it. He now has a plate and screws holding his leg together, His right ankle was shattered and we had to reconstruct it as well.. He will end up needing therapy to learn to walk again. Kevin has a long road ahead of him. Besides his legs, He has a mild concussion. We’ll have to keep an eye on him, wake him every hour.. He will be taken to his room soon. He’ll be staying on the fourth floor, if you’d like to wait there. He’s a lucky man, he could have been hurt a lot worse."

"Thank you doctor. Thank you so much." All Mina heard was, her brother was alive and well. The doctor walked away, leaving the small family hugging each other. Thanking God for protecting their brother. Nick looked just as relieved.

"We should get to the fourth floor." Howie motioned for the small group to head for the elevator.

Mina stopped, standing in front of Nick. "No. I want you gone."

"Mina." Kristi was shocked.

Mina ignored Kristi, "None of this would have happened if it wasn’t for you. You just don’t get it, That’s my world up there lying in a hospital bed. And you almost took it from me tonight. I don’t want to see your face, ever again." she stared him down.

Nick looked her in the eye, filled with pain, "As you wish." and he walked out of the emergency room and maybe out of their lives forever.