- Text Size +
Mina and Alex walked into the dark and empty house after spending most the evening at the hospital. Kevin never woke up after surgery. The nurses reassuring them it was normal for him to sleep so heavy after surgery. Mina was very quiet after kicking Nick out. Everyone walked around her with tip toes and it made her rethink what she’s done.

“I was wrong tonight wasn’t I?” She spoke as she dropped onto the couch in the Richardson living room.

“About?” Alex plopped next to her.

“Nick.” she sighed.

Alex didn’t respond. He rolled his eyes, not that she could see in the darkness.

Mina continued, “It wasn’t entirely his fault this happened.”

“Kevin is a grown man, he would have raced with or without Nick’s help. Nascar is supposed to be safer than street racing. Tonight just wasn’t Kev’s night. We can’t blame anyone.” Alex turned his head to look at Mina. She was staring off into the distance.

“I think I need to get some sleep. Are you going to go to the hospital with me later?” She got up from the couch.

“Yeah, I’ll be there.” Alex spoke exhausted.

The two walked to their bedrooms, Mina stopped at her door, “Alex?” she spoke softly.


Alex turned to look at her, halfway into his own bedroom. “Yeah.”

“Will you sleep with me tonight? I don’t want to be alone.”

“Mina, I need to tell you something.” Alex spoke with a heavy heart.

“What is it?” She creased her brow.

“I’m leaving...”

Mina’s eyes bulged out of her head. “What? What do you mean you’re leaving?”

“I was supposed to leave tomorrow morning. I’m moving to New York, my cousin got me a job up there. I think it’s best I try to move on with my life, and I can’t do that here.”

Mina couldn’t speak, she wanted to break down and cry, she never imagined Alex or anyone in her life to move away. Alex took a few steps closer to Mina, “I’ll stay one more day. But I have to go.... Say something, Please.”

Mina was stunned, she tried to speak and nothing came out, she finally looked into Alex’s beautiful brown eyes and could only think of one thing to say, “I’m going to miss you.”

He gave a half smile, “I’ll miss you too.” He leaned in to place a kiss on her forehead. “Good night Mina.” Alex turned and disappeared into his own room. It was a harder move than it appeared, he so badly wanted to join Mina in her room. But, he knew it would just complicate things more.
Mina made herself move from her doorway, her feet were heavier than bricks and the bed seemed like twenty miles away. She crashed onto her bed, not able to sleep. So many things were weighing her down. Kevin, Nick and now Alex. “I need to make some decisions. It’s time I do the right thing for everyone.”

****

Mina walked into the hospital room, finding her brother awake watching ESPN. “Hey Kev, you feeling okay?”

“I’m going stir-crazy in this joint. But, I feel fine they gave me pain pills just a minute ago.” He smiled big.

Mina chuckled, “Glad they’re taking care of you.”

“Hey, come here.” He held his arm out to her, she walked closer to his bed. When she was close enough Kevin took her hand. “I’m sorry for scaring you last night. I know you probably thought the worst. So I’m sorry for that.”
She tried not to show her emotions, last thing Kevin needed was a crying little sister at his bed side. “It wasn’t a fun night for any of us.”

“You are the only important person in my life. And I’m sorry I almost checked out on you. If it would have been the other way around, I would have been pissed off at you.” Kevin pulled her down to hug him. When she stood back up, she had a creased brow. Kevin smiled, “What’s on your mind baby girl?”

“This isn’t the time. It’s nothing.” she was doing her best to not be the selfish one anymore.

“This is the time. Go ahead, what’s on your mind?” Kevin looked concerned.

“I was just wondering.. I don’t know. I shouldn’t really bring it up..” she took a deep breath, “Kev, do you plan on racing again after this?”

He sighed, “I don’t know.. I can’t lie, I still love it. It’s my dream to go pro, to make enough money for us to not worry about losing the house. Or how I’m going to get you into college.”
She laughed, “College? When have we ever talked about me going to College?”

“Exactly. We haven’t. If mom or dad was around, your ass would be in College right now. It’s my responsibility to get you there, and I will.”

“Kevin, I’m old enough to take care of myself. You don’t have to worry about me, or that college stuff.”

Kevin laughed, “You grow up over night?” Mina just laughed with him, it wasn’t all that funny, but something came over both of them and neither wanted to fight the moment of happiness. Especially when it didn’t come around often.

“So where are the guys?” Kevin smiled in question.

“I put them to work. I went to the Garage early this morning and made some calls, everyone pretty much knows your situation. So I got some extensions and I think we’ll be okay. Howie, Brian and Alex are working on the two cars you guys already started.”

“Look at you, being all business.”

Mina just smiled, she knew Kevin was proud and that made her feel good. All she wanted was to take care of him for once. Pay back all the years he’s been taking care of her. Mina spent the whole afternoon with Kevin. She kept him entertained, and got whatever he needed. Once he fell asleep she decided to go home to grab a few things for her brother.

When she got to the house, she found Alex packing. “Hey.” was all either of them could say to one another. It was obvious both were hurting. “Um, is there anything I can do? I mean, do you need help packing?” Mina just wanted to wrap herself around Alex, beg him to not leave.

“No, I don’t have much. I’m almost done. But thanks.” He cleared his throat after speaking. He turned to place a few more articles of clothing into his duffle bag. “I leave tomorrow afternoon.” He turned to look at Mina after he announced his departure.

“Oh. Well, be sure to say goodbye to Kevin. He’d be upset... He’d like his chance to say goodbye.” she was trying not to cry. “I need to put some of his things together to take over to the hospital.” she walked away not allowing Alex to see her cry.

****

“Hey Nick, this is Howie, Uh, man, I just thought you should come to the hospital. Kevin doesn’t blame you, and I know you probably think that he does. So, yeah, if you want to come see him, you should.. Uh, Mina won’t be here for awhile so yeah, it’s up to you.” Howie left a message on Nick’s cell phone. Not sure of what he should say, and a little surprised at himself for caring either way.

Howie hung up his phone and then walked into Kevin’s private hospital room. “Hey man, you look like Pinocchio with all those strings attached to you.”

Kevin laughed, “Howie man, I’m glad to see you! This place is boring as hell.”

“I’m surprised you haven’t rolled yourself out of here. You got wheels man.” Howie cracked as he kicked the hospital bed wheels.

“Don’t tempt him.” Brian chuckled as he walked in the room.

Kevin’s smile was beaming, it was good to have his boys around. It kept him from thinking about how bad off he was at the moment. The three talked about cars, girls and cracked rude jokes at each others expense. The air was light and it was just what the doctor ordered.

The knock at the door changed the mood quickly. Nick stood in the doorway with a faint smile, “Hey, is it cool that I’m here?”

Kevin smiled, “Where’ve you been man? Get in here.”

Nick smiled a little more as he walked in, “How you feeling?” It was evident Nick was very uncomfortable. Howie and Brian were quiet, and feeling awkward.

“Not bad, I mean there’s excruciating pain, but I’m alive.” Kevin smiled.

“I don’t know what went wrong man, I’m sorry this happened.” Nick showed his pain.

“Nick, man, this isn’t your fault. I don’t blame you, and you shouldn’t blame yourself. It’s cool man. I wanted to race, and to be honest, I’d do it again.”

Mina walked into the room and stopped dead in her tracks, The only one to see her was Brian. He cleared his throat, “Hey Mina.” All the men turned to look at her. She was only looking at Nick.

“I, uh, should go.” Nick turned back to Kevin, “Keep your spirits up Kev, you’ll be out of here in no time. See ya later alright?”

“Later.” Kevin nodded. A little confused of the sudden need for Nick to leave. He knew he was missing something.

As Nick was walking pass Mina she turned to follow him, “Nick.” she called for him in a loud whisperer. Nick kept walking for the elevator, “Mina, I know what you’re going to say. Save it.”

She walked up to him, “No, I doubt you do.”

He turned to her, “I’m not going to fight in a hospital. I have better manors than that.”

“Outside then.” Mina raised her brow. Just as the elevator arrived. Both stepped in and quietly rode to the first floor. Both walking out of the elevator and out of the hospital in silence. A few steps away from the ER doors, Nick finally spoke, “Alright, I know you don’t want me here. But you know what, You don’t have any right to tell me where I can and can not go. I’m a grown man Mina, and once you grow up, you might realize that all of this..” He waved his hands in the air, “that you so selfishly call yours is not the real world.. And once you realize that, and become a real woman, maybe then I’ll give you my time again.”

“Excuse me?” Mina did not like his tone towards her.

He chuckled in distaste, “You really do believe the world revolves around you. Don’t you? I will admit at first I fell into your fantasy world. I found you sexy as hell, and enjoyed the chase for awhile. But then I realized you’re just a little girl. A selfish brat that has the men in her life wrapped around her little pinky. I feel sorry for those men Mina, because they won’t be able to live their own lives until you grow up. I on the other hand, can. I think your brother is a good guy, and could really make it pro, if you’d just stop holding him back. Grow up Mina, and stop being a selfish bitch all the time.” his words stung.

Mina stood there staring at the ground, she wasn’t expecting so much hostility from him, or so much truth. When she didn’t respond he exhaled loudly, “What for once you have nothing to say?”

“I.. What I was originally going to say really doesn’t matter now.” she spoke timid.

“No go ahead, get it out there. Whatever the Princess needs to say should be said.” he was obviously annoyed with her presence.


“I was just.. Sorry, that’s what I was going to say. But, you don’t need my apologizes and.. Well, I should go back to my brother.” she went to walk away, “Mina!” he called out to her. Mina looked over her shoulder waiting for whatever else he could possibly need to say, “I know there’s a good person inside that soul of yours, when you find her, you’ll find peace again.” and with that Nick turned and walked away from her.