- Text Size +
Alex walked into the hospital room for the first time since the night of the accident. He was avoiding Kevin, it was hard enough to tell Mina he was leaving, it will be just as difficult to tell Kevin. When Alex walked into the room, he wasn’t expecting Brian and Howie to be there.

“AJ, what’s up man?” Brian welcomed him.

Kevin turned his head to look at his friend, “Where’ve you been hiding man? Does Mina have you slaving away at the Garage?”

Alex smiled, “A little. I’m sorry I haven’t been to visit.”

“You’re here now man, it’s cool.”

“Is Mina coming?” Howie joined in the small talk.

“Probably, I haven’t seen her this morning.” Alex seemed uneasy.

Kevin noticed, he gave a slight chuckle, “Man what’s wrong with you?”

“Nothin, why?” Alex looked at Kevin confused.

“You’re all squirmy.” Brian answered first.

“Um, I actually have something to tell you guys..” He had their attention, so he continued, “My cousin called me the other day. And well, he got me a good paying job up in New York. So, I’m leaving this afternoon.”

“When did you decide all this? I never knew you were thinking about moving anywhere.” Kevin seemed hurt.

“It’s just, lately I can’t seem to get my life on track. I’m grateful for your friendship, all of your friendships. And Kev, if you didn’t take me in when you did, I doubt I’d be alive today. You’ve been like a brother to me man, and I love you. I will always consider you guys my family. I just need to do this. I need to get a new start.”

“I wish you luck AJ. And you can come back home any time.” Kevin tried to be understanding. He knew it had everything to do with Mina. She made it too hard for him to heal his heart and move on.

Howie came over and gave Alex a manly hug, “We’ll miss you man.”

“Yeah, you better come back.” Brian also gave him a hug.

****

Mina went into the familiar hospital room that early afternoon. Surprised to find her brother alone, “I brought you fast food!” she waved the McDonald’s bag as she walked towards her brother.

“Oh you are a saint.” Kevin beamed as he reached for the food. “I can’t manage to swallow the stuff they call food around here.”

“I know. I tried to have dinner in the cafeteria last night and I was quite disgusted. I’ll try to bring you something every time I visit. So has any of the guys come to see you today? I know their not working.” Mina raised her brow.

“Yeah, they were all here this morning.” Kevin took a bite of his Big Mac. In mid chew he asked, “Have you talked to AJ?”

“About him leaving?” She assumed that’s what Kevin was asking.

“Yeah.. I’m trying to be supportive, but all I want to do is scream ‘Don’t Leave!’. I can’t believe he’s going.” Mina sighed.

“You’ve been different lately. I mean, in a good way. The old Mina would have made AJ feel awful for leaving.” Kevin announced before taking another bite of his sandwich.

Mina stole a french fry before speaking, “I guess after almost losing you, I realized I needed to make some changes of my own.” she shrugged.

“I wanted to talk to you about some important things that I’ve been thinking about..” Kevin started but paused.

“Alright, I’m all ears.”

“I’m starting rehab next week. And I know it’s 80% mental and 20% physical to get myself back fully recovered. And I’m ready for it. I’m going to recover and get behind the wheel again. Before you say anything, hear me out. I don’t plan on street racing anymore. I want to focus all my energy into Nascar. I found the amateur circuit to be exhilarating. And I know I can reach every goal I set myself. I want to be Pro someday.”

Mina wasn’t showing much emotion until Kevin finished talking, She gave a half smile, “That’s a lot of goals to reach, a big dream that I’m sure you can make happen. I’d be happy to help you make that dream come true. What do you need me to do?” Mina hated that he still wanted to race, but she knew it wasn’t her choice to make. And most of all she was happy to just know he wouldn’t be running from cops and thugs anymore. As hard as it was for her to not speak her mind on the subject, she knew that her old ways never worked and all that was important now was Kevin’s happiness.

“All I need is your support.” Kevin raised an eyebrow.

Mina smiled, “You have it.”


****

As Mina pulled into the driveway of her home. She saw Alex carrying bags to his car, that was parked at the curb. She took a deep breath before exiting her car. She met Alex at the trunk of his packed car, “So, today’s the day.”
Alex looked up at her after placing the last of his bags into the trunk of his car, “Yep, I was starting to think you weren’t going to be here when I left.”

“I’m here, hating every second.” She was close to tears again.

Alex moved in wrapping his arms around her, “I still love you Mina. I hope you can understand why I have to do this.” He pulled away to look at her. She had a set pout, “Yeah, I understand. Do you realize you’re leaving me defenseless to Brian?” She teased, trying to lighten the mood.

Alex chuckled, “I’m a cruel man. But I think you will quickly learn to defend yourself.” he gave a wink before shutting his trunk.

“I guess, I shouldn’t hold off any longer. I have a long drive ahead of me.” Alex so badly wanted her to beg him to stay. He placed his sunglasses on, hiding his emotions. Mina’s own tears were brimming, “I love you Alex. I will always love you. I know lately I’ve made your life hell. I hope you aren’t leaving because of me, I’d hate myself for that. I want you to be happy, and if this is what you need to do... I guess, all I mean to say is, I’ll miss you... Call us when you get there safe.” She hugged him once more, holding on so tight he felt his circulation stop.

“I’ll call you.” he pulled away and got into his car. He rolled down his window, “Take care of yourself Mina.”

“You too Alex.” she had tears running down her cheeks.

“Bye.” He choked out the last word before driving off. Mina stood in the middle of the road, watching Alex’s car get smaller as he drove away. She cried all the way back to the house, as she went to open the door to the now empty home, a car screeched to a stop in front of the house. She swung around and found Alex jumping out of his car and coming towards her. Mina couldn’t move, she stood at the top step watching Alex get closer and closer to her, she couldn’t believe he was standing in front of her. Alex stopped at the steps, “Tomorrow will you still love me? After you get over the fear of almost losing your brother, will you still love me?”

“Yes. Alex I never stopped. I was just being a silly girl. I realize that now. You and I are supposed to be together.” Mina’s heart was pouring out.

Alex walks up the steps to meet Mina at the top, he pulled her into an embrace, “I love you Mina Richardson.” and then Alex placed a kiss to Mina’s lips that felt like their very first.

As they pulled apart Mina sniffled trying to stop the tears, “So.... You’re staying?”

He smiled, “I’m not going anywhere. Not when we still have a chance.”

She smiled bright, “I wanted you to stay with all my heart.” Mina pulled Alex back to her, this time making the move, kissing him with the fire she’s held back for months. Mina knew things would never be the same, there will be good times and bad. But every moment will be with the people she loved.






THE END.
Chapter End Notes:
Whelp that's it, I know some will hate who Mina ends up with. But, I hope some will be happy. And I realize the last chapter is short, but I wasn't expecting to have so little to say for the ending. Anywho, hope you enjoyed the story. Thanks for reading. :)