- Text Size +
DING DONG!!!

"SOMEBODY GET THE DOOR!!" Mina yelled from her bedroom. She's been up for awhile now, she just hasn't actually left her bed. She found it very difficult to make herself get out of bed every morning these days.

"Mina, you can get your ass out of bed and get it yourself." Alex said outside her door.

"Why, that's what I have you for!" she yelled back and laughed.

Alex swung open the door and stood there with one eye brow up "Oh really?"

"Well, I can't think of any other reason you’re around." She giggled.

Alex pounced on Mina and started tickling her, making her squirm and yell, he'd pick her up and drop her on the bed like a wrestler from time to time. Mina couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably. "This will teach you to disrespect me." Alex dropped Mina on the bed.

"KEVIN! SOMEONE'S HERE TO SEE YOU!" Howie yelled from the other room.

"Who's here?" Mina stopped laughing, asking full of curiosity. Everyone who matters to Kevin is already here.

Alex shrugged "I don't know. Who cares?"

Mina got up and walked out of her bedroom into the living room. She stopped in mid-step.

"Hey man, what's going on?" Kevin asked the visitor.

"Not much, thought we could start workin' on that car you were telling me about."

Mina made the wood floors creek "Hey Mina, thought you were still sleeping." Kevin looked over at his sister.

"Um, no.." She couldn't believe he was in her house. Talking to her brother as if they've been friends since childhood.

"Mina, this is Nick. He's new in town and he needed a job, So, I'm giving him a job at our garage." Kevin explained.

Mina just raised her eyebrows at her brother, questioning him. She looked over at Nick, "Nice to meet you Nick."

"Hey, Mina?!" Alex came into the room and stopped when he saw Nick standing in the living room.

"What AJ?" Mina looked over her shoulder.

Alex glared at Nick, making Nick feel very uncomfortable. "AJ? You wanted something?" Mina broke the glare.

"Never mind." Alex left the living room. Mina rolled her eyes, then took a seat on the couch next to Howie who was sipping on coffee. She took his coffee cup out of his hands and sneaked a sip before handing it back.

"Good morning Mina." Howie chuckled.

"Mornin'." she responded with out taking her eyes off Kevin and Nick

"Well, let me get dressed and we can head over to the garage. You know where it's at?" Kevin asked.

"Yeah, I'll meet you there." Nick went to leave but stopped at the door, he looked over at Mina "It was nice meeting you." He smiled then walked out the door.

Mina blushed and Howie laughed. Mina scowled "What are you laughing at?"

"You, who else? Got yourself a crush on the new guy?"

"No, I don't even know him." she got up and went to her room trying not to smile.

Howie just chuckled to himself. He knew that look

~Flashback~

Howie sat down next to a day dreaming Mina "Why don't you just ask him out?"

Mina jumped "Oh, Hi Howie."

"You really should just ask him out." He looked out the Kitchen window, the same one Mina was losing her thoughts through.

"I can't, he's Kevin's friend. And besides he's older than me. Why would he ever want to be with a 15 year old. Hello, he's a man I'm a child." Mina walked out of the kitchen into the living room, she slumped into the couch.

"You said he kissed you. That shows he's interested." Howie sat next to her.

"It was probably a pity kiss. Besides this is Alex we're talking about. He flirts with all girls."

"Mina, stop talking yourself out of this and just go for it. Alex likes you, we all know this." Howie chuckled.

"I can't. My dad wouldn't ever let us be together. Alex lives in the same house. I don't think my dad will be like all for us being boyfriend girlfriend under the same roof. Think about it."

"MINA! STOP IT!" Howie raised his voice, shocking Mina. "I'm not going to sit here and listen to you come up with excuses. If you want to be with Alex then be with him. If you don't then don't. But, I'm not going to sit here and listen to you be miserable."

Mina didn't know what to say. She just looked at him as he stared back at her. "So what are you going to do?" Howie asked finally.

Mina got up and walked out the back screen door, Howie followed her, he stopped and sat on the steps. As she walked right up to Alex breaking Kevin and his conversation "Alex, you want to go grab a bite to eat or something'?"

Alex and Kevin just looked at her strangely, Mina looked like she was going to throw up "Never mind." She went to walk away, she almost made it into the house before Alex said anything..

"Mina?"

She turned around "I'd like that." Alex smiled.

"Really?" she was shocked.

Howie leaned back with a smile.

~End of Flashback~


"Hey Howie? You going to work today?" Alex snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Um, yeah." Howie got up off the couch and went to get dressed.

Mina walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body while her wet hair hung down. She passed Howie as he went into the bathroom and she went into her bedroom.

"And this is the days of our lives as the world turns" Howie laughed at himself as he looked into the steamy mirror that Mina left.

****

"So what's his story?" Kristi asked.

"I don't know. He's new in town and that's about all I know." Mina leaned on the counter of the family business, watching Kristi paint her nails.

"Well, he's a hottie that's for sure. Just don't tell your brother I said so." She laughed.

"Your secret is safe with me." Mina smiled.

ring, ring

"Richardson's Garage." Mina answered the phone.

"Yo, Mina, your brother there?"

"Yeah, hold on." Mina pressed hold and went out to the garage "Hey Kev, phone." She walked back into the office not waiting for Kevin to reply.

Nick watched her every move, and Alex watched Nick. Kevin wiped his hands on a rag, then picked up the phone that hung on the wall in the working garage.

"Yeah this is Kevin."

"Kev, nine o'clock, Frampton Blvd." The caller hung up and Kevin went back to working on the Nissan Skyline.

"What's up Kev?" Howie asked.

"Nothin'. Just about a race tonight." Kevin got on the Mechanic creeper and rolled under the car.

"You racin' tonight?" Alex asked.

"Of course. We need the money." Kevin said from under the car.

"Kevin maybe you should hold off on racing again. I mean, Mina isn't ready for you to risk your life every night." Alex suggested.

"Well, Mina needs to grow up and realize that we can't keep this garage and food on the table if I don't keep racing." Kevin rolled back out from under the car.

"You ever think about grand prix racing?" Nick mentioned out of nowhere reminding the others he was there.

"Yeah right. Like I can just walk into a track and they'd give me a car to race." Kevin laughed.

"I've got a car." Nick said matter-of-factually.

The four guys looked at him like he's crazy "You? You just so happen to have a grand prix race car?" Brian trying to make sure they all heard him right.

"Yeah.. I race in the amateur Grand Prix."

Three mouths dropped, Kevin looked over at his friends "Pick up you’re jaws your embarrassing me."