- Text Size +
"HOLIDAY!! CELEBRATE! HOLIDAY! CELEBRATE! If we took a Holiday! Took sometime to celebrate! Just one day out of life! It Would be! It Would be so nice!" Mina sang at the top of her lungs while dancing around the house. She decided to get away from work early that day and get some alone time. She blared her 80's cassette and cleaned the house as she sang and danced around with her broom and mop.

Nick and Kevin entered the back door "YO MINA!" Kevin hollered but, not loud enough.

The two stopped when they saw Mina's back to them. She was in full 80's swing. Dancing the classic Madonna moves, singing at the top of her lungs, mop in hand.

"Forget about the bad times, oh yeah, One day to come together, To release the pressure, We need a holiday..." Mina swung around with her mop dramaticly, the mop dropped as she made eye contact with the two men watching. Kevin doing his best not to laugh, Nick wearing a smirk. Mina wanted to die right then and there. She just stood there with her mouth wide open, music still blaring.

Kevin started to do the white man dance making sure to over exadurate his moves while singing along, coming towards Mina who wasn't amused. She pushed him away and he just broke out laughing "Thanks for the laugh Mina." Kevin made his way to the stereo and turned it off.

"Screw you Kevin. Why aren't you working?" Mina so embarressed she was angry.

"Well, we finished the Nissan so we all called it a day. Besides I have a race to get ready for." Kevin plopped on the couch. Nick stood in the door way.

"Race? Again?" Mina's worry apparent.

"Don't be so surprised. It's not like I haven't raced every chance I can get since I was 14." Kevin flipped on the 20 inch television.

"Things are different Kevin." Mina sighed.

"Yeah things are different. Now, I have to make sure to keep food in the house, clothes on YOUR back, and most of all make sure Dad's garage doesn't get shut down. So, don't give me any crap about racing. It's the only way to make all that happen." Kevin argued.

Mina walked out of the living room into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her. "AH!!!!" She screamed in aggravation. Mina was sick of her life, sick of the same old people, and most of all sick of being sad and scared all the time.


"Hey man, I'll catch up with you later. Seems, you have family things to deal with." Nick reminding Kevin he was there.

"Forget it. It's the same argument we've been having for the past two months." Kevin flipped through the channels, aggravated.

"Well, maybe you two should actually talk and listen to each other. Maybe the argument could be solved." Nick stepped more into the house. Kevin looked over at Nick irritated, "Or, I could be totally wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about." Nick laughed before sitting down.

"Nah. Man, it's just a lot of shit that probably should be solved but, we're both stubborn. And most of all she needs to grow up." Kevin stood up, "You want a beer?"

"Sure." Nick leaned back in the chair.

"Hey Kev." Alex came through the back door that was attached to the kitchen.

"Hey." Kevin reached into the fridge and grabbed two beers.

"Did you talk to Mina about tonight?" Alex questioned.

"Kinda. She knows I'm racing, she's not happy and the rest is the same old shit." Kevin walked pass Alex into the living room. Alex followed, finding Nick sitting where he usually sat. Alex raised an eyebrow in question of Nick's presence.

"Hey AJ." Nick smiled before taking a swig of his beer.

Alex didn't respond he just left the room in hopes to find Mina. He knocked softly on her door and waited for her okay.

"What?" Mina snapped from the other side.

"Can I come in?" Alex asked.

"Whatever." was her answer.

Alex entered Mina’s bedroom and found her lying on the floor staring up at the ceiling. "What are you doing?" He asked with a smile.

"Nothing. What do you want AJ?"

He got on the floor lying beside her and stared up at the ceiling with her "Nothing."

The two of them laid there in silence for over thirty minutes until Alex broke the peace "What's going on Mina? Why you lying on the floor?"

"Nothing's going on AJ. I just want to lay on the floor. Is that okay with you?" she never broke her stare with the ceiling.

"Sure, if the ceiling amuses you that much, carry on. But, something is wrong and you used to tell me everything."

"Well, things have changed Alexander, and if anyone has a problem I think it's you." She got up off the floor and walked over to her dresser.

"Me? I don't have a problem." Alex confused.

"Please? AJ stop with the denial. Hello, we broke up a year ago and you act like there was never a split. Jesus Alex, do you know how hard it is to wake up every morning knowing I have to look at your pathetic face, knowing you still want me?!" Mina went off, voice raised. Alex sat on her floor in shock of the words coming out of her mouth. "You and I will never happen again! Get over it! Let me live my life! And you desperately need to get on with yours!"

Alex got off the floor walked towards her not saying a word, she looked right at him seeing the hurt in his eyes "Okay Mina." was all he said before walking out of her room. When she heard the click of her door she threw a framed photo across the room before jumping into her bed crying into her pillow.

Alex stormed out of the house in anger while Kevin and Nick looked at each other in confusion "What's going on?" Nick asked.

"Who knows. Those two are a real life soap opera and I try and keep out of it." Kevin chuckled.


"Hey AJ, what's up?" Howie sat down on the porch outside his home.

"I just needed to get away from that house and the people in it." Alex frowned.

"Mina?" Howie smiled knowing that's who he was really talking about.

"She just started going off on me for no reason!" Alex raised his voice.

"Okay man, don't take it out on me. So what did she say?"

"Pretty much she thinks I'm a pathetic loser who needs to stop drooling over her."

Howie didn't know what to say he just let Alex go on, "I can't help how I feel. I love her and always will. She acts like our relationship was just some fling and we should both just get over it. We were together for 4 years Howie! FOUR YEARS!! How can she just tell me it's over then act like there was nothing there?"

"AJ, you ever think that something else is going on and you just were there at the wrong time? She just was letting off steam and probably didn't mean a thing she said." Howie trying to make things better. Always being the peacemaker among the unique family.

"Doubt it. She's right I'm a pathetic loser who needs to let her go. If she wants that jerk Nick then she can have him, and curse his life forever. Like she's done with mine." Alex got up off the stoop and walked off.

Howie sighed "Why can't they just freakin get back together and make MY life a lot easier?" Howie asked himself before going back into his house.

*****

"Wow, I didn't think you'd be here tonight?"

"I go to all his races. I might not agree with him, but, If anything happens I want to be here." Mina got up on the hood of Brian's car.

"Why you so against street racing. Or racing all together?" Nick questioned.

"A long story and trust me you really don't want to get involved." Mina turned her head to look away from Nick.

"Hey you two!" Kristi smiled as she walked up to Nick and Mina.

"Hey, you know where my brother is? What am I saying of course you do." Mina rolled her eyes.

"Ha, Ha.. Actually yeah he's talking to some people over there." She pointed down the street.

Mina jumped off the car and headed towards her brother until a body blocked her way "Uh, sorry." She said as she got her balance back from the force of impact.

"Mmhmm." He responded and Mina realized it was Alex.

"Oh, hey. Look Al..."

"Forget it." Alex walked away not allowing Mina to say much more.

"If you came here to stop me don't bother."

Mina turned around to find her brother standing there "I didn't come to stop you. Look, Kevin, you may be shocked by this but I love you. You’re all I have left. I just don't want to lose you like Dad. I'm so scared anymore I can't think straight." A tear fell down her cheek.

Kevin wrapped his arms around her and held her tight "Mina you’re not going to lose me. I promise."

"You can't promise things like that." she broke away from Kevin, wiping her tears.

"And you can't change things. Mina, I don't want you to be scared or hurt anymore. But, I'm not going to change my ways. I can't."

Mina frowned "I know... You better get your car all set. You have a race to win." Mina pushed him playfully doing her best to fake her approval.

"Alright." he chuckled and walked off. Mina walked back to the crew.

"Mina, My lovely princess. Sweet Angel.." Brian chimed with a big grin.

"Brian, my annoying Duck." She smiled big to match his.

"Ouch, I'm hurt." Brian grabbed his chest as the others laughed.

"You're a lot of things Bri, hurt I doubt is one of them." Mina got back up onto the hood of his car.

"You plan on ever actually racing again Brian?" Howie asked.

"I'm just waiting for my moment." He smiled with his answer.

"Where's Alex?" Mina asked realizing he wasn't hanging with them.

"He's racing. It's Alex, Nick, Kevin, Chris and Ricardo tonight."

Mina's stomach turned as she saw two men she cared about most in the world get into their cars, started their engines with a roar. This could be an incredible race or the worst one of her life. “Why do I drag myself to these things? All it does is add more years to my young life.” She thought.