- Text Size +

“Dude can you believe it today we are no longer 6th graders but we’re starting 7th grade,” Nick smiled.

“I know I can’t believe it,” I replied waiting at the bus stop for our bus to come pick us up for the first day of the new school year. “So you think this will be our best year?”

“I hope so,” he answered just as the bus arrived to pick them up.

“Name?” asked the bus driver.

“Nickolas Carter,” he answered.

“Ok here’s your bus pass don’t lose it,” said the bus driver. “And your name miss?”

“Taylor Adams,” I replied as she searched for my name and handed me my pass and I went to go join Nick at his seat. “This year is gonna be fun. We’ll hang out together, do our homework, together, and even join the same clubs right?”
“Duh that’s what we always do,” he replied with a silly look on his face that made me laugh so hard my sides started to hurt. “What?”

“Your crazy,” I smirked. He was my best friend and really one of my only friends. Without him I was a lonely person, but with him I wasn’t. We loved to hang out together and do everything together just like best friends do.

“I am not,” he said with the same silly look on his face.

“Stop it I can’t breath,” I tried to catch my breath as I spoke.

“Fine,” he said as the bus came upon the school and everyone go off.

“So who’s your homeroom teacher?” I asked.

“Mrs. Davis yours?” he replied.

“Mrs. Davis,” I smiled. “Yes we have the same homeroom. Lets see if we have any class together too.”

“Ok,” he said as we ran off to homeroom.

 

******

 

“Can you believe out of 7 classes we only have 4 together,” I spoke softly.

“Aww really,” he replied. “Do we at least have lunch together?”

“Yeah thankfully we do,” I answered. “At least all we don’t have together are 2, 4, and 5 so we at least have the last to classes together so we can go to the bus together.”

“Great,” he smiled. “So what’s first?”

As they look down at their schedules Taylor speaks, “looks like math. Yay.”

“Really man,” he sighed. “Well at least we can fail together.”
“Yeah no kidding,” I replied as we looked over the rest of our schedule and found out we had drama, history, and science also together.

“This is gonna be a fun year I can see it now,” he smiled as homeroom was just ending and we were off to meet our new teachers for the new school year.

 

******

 

“Hi and welcome to 7th grade science I’m your teacher for the year Mrs. Davis,” said Mrs. Davis. “I want you all to fill out these papers with your information on it and I have something for your to take home to your parents and bring back tomorrow.”

“Oh great,” he mumbled under his breath as we sat next to each other in the back row.

“This is just gonna be one great year,” I mumbled back sarcastically.

“Once your done filling these papers out bring them up to me and then once everyone’s done we’ll move on from there it shouldn’t take you that long,” said Mrs. Davis.

“Ok lets see what we have to do,” I said as the papers were passed back to me. I looked down and started filling them out as so did Nick. When we were both done I took them up to the front and handed them to Mrs. Davis.

“Ok we only have a few more minutes but I’d like to go over my classroom rules just so you all know what to expect if you do anything I don’t like,” spoke Mrs. Davis.

We both basically blocked her out until the bell rang and that was the end of the first day of school. We couldn’t believe how fun the first day was. We both loved the fact we both had the same teachers and got to do a lot together this year. This was going to be the best year by both their standards compared to any other school year.

 

******

 

“Ok I’m only gonna be gone for the weekend but if anything big happens I’ll call and tell you right away,” Nick said as he got packed for Orlando.

“Ok I’ll talk to you whenever you call then,” I said. “ Good luck I hope you get it.”

“I hope so too,” he replied. “Bye.”
“Bye,” I hugged him and walked out the house and back home.

“Honey you ready?” asked Jane.

“Yeah mom I’m almost ready just got to get my tooth brush and I’ll be ready,” he replied as he walked into the bathroom and grabbed what he needed. “Ok ready.”

They then got all the stuff for the weekend and jumped in the car and headed off for the hour and a half ride.

 

******

 

I lye here on my bed thinking about nothing but him why I ask myself? He’s my best friend but what else? Why am I not able to think about someone else? Why has this been happening a lot lately? I can’t tell him anything I’m thinking. He’s gonna think I’m crazy or just weird but doesn’t he always? Was there a connection there between them they didn’t see? Were they meant to be together?

 

******

 

“So you excited?” asked Jane.

“Yeah,” Nick replied while not really listening to his mom talking to him. All he could think about was what if he got this job and couldn’t see her anymore. I mean they are best friends but what if this job made them grow apart. Why was he thinking about her he thought to himself? he couldn’t say anything to her she might think he was crazy and nothing would happen. He just didn’t know why he wasn’t thinking about the job ahead of him and he was thinking about the girl he had been best friends with since elementary school. Was there a connection there between them they didn’t see? Were they meant to be together?

“What do you want for food?” asked Jane.

“McDonald’s is fine,” he replied still not really caring as they drove off more towards Orlando.

“Ok there’s one right off the interstate in Lakeland,” responded Jane.

“Great,” he softly said as he stared off thinking about her again.

 

******

 

“Oh my gosh Nick that’s great,” I smiled over the phone. I was great to hear his voice I hated being away from him. After all he is my best friend and practically my only friend.

“I know I can’t believe I’m actually in a group now,” he smiled back over the phone. “I have to stay out here a few more days but I’ll be back by Wednesday they said.”

“Ok I’ll see you then I guess,” I said about to cry. “Well my mom’s calling me for dinner so I’ll talk to you later I guess.”

“Ok I’ll talk to you later,” he said. “I’ll call you later I guess can’t wait to get home.”

“Ok bye,” I said and hung up the phone before he could say anything. I didn’t want to cry over the phone.

“Bye,” he said to a dead line with a sad look on his face.

“Who was that?” asked one of the guys standing next to him.

“Oh just my best friend Taylor,” he answered.

“Why do you look so sad?” the guy asked.

“Oh nothing,” he lied.

“Seems not like just nothing,” the guy started. “Seems like a girl.”

“Whatever A.J.,” he replied and walked away.

“Fine but I’m not the one with the problem,” said A.J. as he watched him walk away.

“Do I miss her? Do I like her? What am I thinking?” he asked himself as he walked over and sat down on the couch.