- Text Size +

“Ok so we’ll meet you there for dinner the 20th,” I spoke into the phone as I talked with Joe Don. “I’m not going to be staying at the hotel since my boyfriend has a place out there. We’ll see you at about 7:30 then. Bye.”

“So you all set for the airport?” Nick asked as I hung up my cell phone and put it in my purse.

“Yeah lets go drop Lucy off at Melissa and Jake’s then we can head out,” I answered as I put on my jacket since it was cold outside. “I can’t believe we’re heading out there this early, but I don’t care. I so can’t wait to be in California. I hope the weather is nice so I don’t freeze in my dress.”

“You’ll have fun and I’ll keep you warm no matter what,” he smiled as we grabbed our suitcases and Lucy and her stuff and walked out the apartment.

“You know what I wanna do?” I said as we got into the elevator.

“What?” he asked.

“I wanna go shopping down Rodeo Drive,” I answered. “I just wanna see what they have. Maybe I could pick up another dress just incase I have another award show I have to go to in the future.”

“If you want,” he shrugged as the doors opened and we walked out to my truck. Lucy jumped in as I opened the back door of my dual cab truck.

“So we’ve got a few weeks until the awards,” I informed him. “What do you wanna do?”

“Who cares lets just get out there,” he answered. “We’ll go to Rodeo Drive on of the days. We don’t have to be back here for a week.”

“True,” I backed out of my parking spot and drove off for the airport. “How long until the flight takes off?”

“Four hours,” he replied .

“Great,” I said. “So are you meeting up with the guys while we’re out there?”

“We might it any are in town,” he replied. “That’s if you wanna go meet them since you never got to in the past.”

“I’d kinda like to meet the guys you used to talk about so much,” I smiled as I got off the interstate for Melissa and Jake’s house.

“I think you’ll like them,” he noted. “You gotta watch out for them cause at any moment they can do or say something stupid.”

“Hey if their anything like you I can handle myself,” I replied as I turned down Melissa and Jake’s street.

“Well thanks,” he joked.

“Welcome,” I smiled. “You know I love you though.”

“Yep,” he replied as I turned into Melissa and Jake’s driveway and turned off my truck. “Ready to have some fun here for a while Lucy? I so wish we could take you with us but we can’t right now.”

“Maybe next time,” he said as we got Lucy’s stuff and opened the back door of my truck and Lucy jumped out.

“Yeah maybe,” I sighed as I walked up to the door and knocked on it.

Melissa answered the door, “Hey ya’ll.”

“Hey you,” I hugged her. “Its great to see you.”

“Yeah I know its been a few days since I saw you last,” she replied. “And now this ones back. You both can’t stay home.”

“Well we’d love to take her but I don’t want to take her out there right now incase something comes up,” Nick spoke up.

“Yeah,” I agreed. “But hey we gotta head out are you and Jake gonna follow us so you can bring my truck back here so we don’t have to pay that airport fee?”

“Yeah I just gotta get Jake and then we can go,” she answered as she ran inside with Lucy and her stuff to get Jake.

“You can get in the truck if you want,” I told Nick as I waited for the others.

“Ok,” Nick replied. “Hey can I have the keys so I start up the truck to get it warm again?”

“Sure,” I tossed him the keys.

“Thanks,” he replied as he jumped in the truck and turned it on as Melissa and Jake walked out.

“Hey Jake,” I hugged him.

“Hey,” he hugged back. “So you both looking forward to sunny California?”

“Oh yeah I so can’t wait to go even though we just got home from Key West,” I smiled as we walked towards the trucks. “I know we travel way to much but its not all our faults I had to be in California for the awards and I didn’t feel like bringing Lucy out at this moment not really knowing Nick’s living arrangement out there.”

“We totally understand,” replied Melissa. “Ok so we’re gonna follow you to the airport terminal and then I’ll take your truck back here and we’ll pick you up when you get home.”

“Sounds perfect,” I smiled. “See ya in a few.”

******

 

“Next,” yelled the lady behind the check-in counter at the airport.

We walked up to get our bags checked-in as Nick spoke, “Yes we’re checking in.”

“Last name?” she asked.

“Carter,” he replied as the lady typed in his last name.

“Nick?” she asked.

“Yes,” he answered.

“Ok so you booked two tickets that stop at LAX then go to Hawaii,” she said. “Is that correct?”

“No,” I said

“Yes,” he replied at the same time as me.

“What are you talking about we’re heading to California I thought,” I looked at him questionably. “Why are you saying we’re going to Hawaii?”

“it’s a surprise,” he smiled.

“What kind of surprise?” I asked.

“You’ll see when we get there,” he replied.

“Nick,” I whined.

“No Nick you’ll find out later,” he responded as he finished checking-in our luggage and got the plane tickets to Hawaii.

******

 

“Ok are you gonna tell me now why we’re here since we’re now checked-in at the hotel and all?” I asked as I laid down on the bed next to Nick.

“Nope not yet,” he answered. “Tomorrow you’ll find out.”

“Aww,” I whined.

“I could always just forget about the surprise if your gonna be like that,” he joked.

“No I’ll be a good girl,” I smiled.

“Trust me this will be all worth it in the end,” he replied. “Now lets get some sleep or we’ll be so tired tomorrow morning since we gotta be up early.”

“Fine,” I kissed him as I got up to get changed into something more comfortable.

Once done I laid back in bed and watched TV with Nick as I feel asleep in his arms.

Before I knew it the next morning had already arrived and we were getting ready to go out.

“You gonna tell me yet where we’re going?” I asked as we had just finished eating breakfast.

“Not yet you’ll see in a few,” he answered as we go up and walked towards the front of the hotel.

“Ok so how we getting there?” I asked as I saw a limo parked out in front of the hotel.

“This limo,” he smiled as the door opened.

“Really?” I asked.

“Yeah get in,” he answered as I stepped inside followed by Nick.

“We should be there soon,” he said as we started moving.

He was right too. About twenty minutes later we were there and the door opened. I was the last one out.

“Oh my gosh Nick we’re at the stadium,” I covered my mouth thinking I knew why he brought me here.

“Yeah,” he replied. “Come on lets go in.”

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“Yeah,” he smiled. “Surprise I got tickets to the Pro Bowl for us.”

“Oh my gosh this is the best ever babe,” I jumped into his arms with excitement. “Thank you so much.”

“Your welcome,” he replied. “Now lets get inside and see what’s happening.”

“We’re going in now?” I asked.

“Yeah I got VIP access,” he answered. “I just got a hold of some people and they hooked me up.”

“Oh my gosh this is amazing,” I hugged him again as we walked towards the entrance.

“We gotta stop by well call first though cause they have our tickets,” he said as we walked towards the stadium.

“How may I help you?” asked the lady behind the glass window.

“Yes I’m here to pick up my tickets it should be under Carter,” he responded as the lady checked for the tickets.

“Here you are,” she replied as she placed down an envelope.

“Thanks,” he said. “This is it right?”

“Yes sure have a great time,” she smiled as we walked off.

“Ok here’s our lanyards,” he said as he pulled out the lanyards from the envelope. “They have our names on them.”

“Cool,” I replied as I put on my lanyard and walked towards the gate were they had security checking badges.

“Inside to your left,” said the security as he check our badges and let us in.

“Thank,” we said at the same time and walked inside to our left towards the field.

“Can you believe we’re here babe?” I asked as we walked towards were the guys were practicing.

“I know I can’t believe it but its gonna be so much fun,” he answered as we walked up to the sidelines and stood to watch.

“I’m so glad I brought my camera with me so I can get some shots of the practice and maybe a picture with a few of the players later,” I smiled as I started to take some pictures of the guys at practice.

“So when practice is over who do you wanna meet first?” he asked as practice continued.

“Umm anyone of these guys there all good,” I answered. “Oh my gosh there’s Brett Favre sitting down you wanna go talk to him?”

“Sure why not,” he replied as we made our way towards the bench he was sitting on.

“Excuse me Mr. Favre,” I said nicely as he turned around.

“You can call me Brett Mr. Favre makes me sound old,” replied Brett Favre from the Green Bay Packers.

“Sorry,” I smiled back shyly. “I was just wondering if I could maybe get a picture with you I’m a big fan.”

“Sure I’d love to,” he replied.

“Nick here can you take it?” I asked Nick.

“Sure,” Nick answered as he took my camera and took the picture.

“Thanks babe,” I replied as I took back my camera. “Thanks Brett.”

“No problem,” he said as he turned to Nick.

As we walked away the NFC take a break while the AFC went on the field. And as they we’re coming off the field and getting water Nick and I saw a bunch of the Bucs players standing around talking to each other.

“Excuse me,” interrupted Nick. “Sorry to bother you right now but I just wanted to say you all played so great at the Super Bowl.”

“Thanks,” replied Mike Alstott from the Bucs.

“I’m a huge fan of yawls,” Nick stated. “So is my girlfriend, Taylor, where ever she went.” He turned around and found me talking to Simeon Rice from the Bucs. “Oh there she is talking to Simeon.”

“Well thanks,” said John Lynch from the Bucs. “You look familiar have we met before?”

“No,” Nick answered. “I did the National Anthem at Raymond James once though during the Super Bowl in 2001 with some friends you may have heard of. I’m one fifth of the Backstreet Boys.”

“Ok that’s were I saw you,” John replied. “Are you here to do the National Anthem?”

“No I’m just on vacation with Taylor before we have to head to California for the Grammys,” Nick answered.

“Oh that’s cool,” Derrick Brooks another one of the players from the Bucs spoke up. “So are you from Tampa?”

“Yeah and so is she,” Nick pointed at me as I continued to talk to Simeon about Tampa. “But we don’t live there anymore but her parents do and so does my mom.”

“Cool,” Mike replied. “Are you here for the game on the 2nd?”

“Oh yeah we got club seats,” I answered. “I wanted to surprise Taylor since she loves football and the Bucs are both of our favorite team. She was so excited about ya’ll winning the Super Bowl it was so funny. We watched it in Key West since we were on vacation there that week for my birthday which was the next day.”

“Cool,” Derrick said as I heard a cell phone go off.

“That’s mine,” I spoke up as Simeon and I joined the group of guys talking. “Sorry I gotta take this.” I walked a few steps away and talked to Jay who was on the other line talking about the rooms and flight out to California. After I finished talking to him I joined back into the group of men who were talking about some random things. “Sorry about that just some work related stuff.”

“Its ok,” replied Simeon.

******

 

“That was the most fun I’ve ever had even if the NFC lost badly,” I smiled as we walked out of LAX towards the awaiting taxi’s. The final score of the Pro Bowl was 45-20 with the AFC winning. “And I love this Brooks jersey you got me too.” I looked down at my jersey I was wearing then into Nick’s eyes.

“Well your welcome,” he replied. “I love mine you bought me.” I had gotten him an Alstott jersey that he was wearing.

“So we’re finally headed to your place,” I sighed as we got into the first available taxi we could find and told him where to go.

“I hope you like the place,” he started. “Its not the fanciest place but its nice.”

“Who cares I just wanna see it,” I replied. “I mean come on you’ve seen my place and its small so yours can’t be worse then that.”

“True,” he laughed. “But your place is cute.”

“Yeah,” I continued. “Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say.”

“What it is,” he replied. “Your room is the best rooms of them all too.”

“Really?” I laughed. “I thought it looked too girly for someone like you.”

“Who cares,” he smiled as we drove up to his house and got out.

“Oh my gosh,” I said shocked as I got out of the Taxi. “This is gorgeous Nick.” Nick paid the driver as he pulled out our suitcases and placed them on the sidewalk.

“Thanks,” he replied as he grabbed some of the suitcases and walked towards the house. “Let’s go in.”

“Oh yeah right,” I snapped out of my gaze and grabbed my stuff and headed inside. “Wow its even more beautiful inside.”

“Thanks,” he said as I looked up towards the ceiling. “Come on let’s put our stuff up in my room and then I’ll show you the place.”

******

 

The time past by so quickly and soon we were getting ready for dinner with Rascal Flatts and their girls.

“Hey Jay,” I hugged him as I walked up with Nick behind me. “Hey guys. You remember Nick right?”

“Yeah,” they all replied at once.

“Hey,” said Nick as he shook their hands.

“So you ready to go in?” asked Gary as we all stood around.

“Yeah sure,” I answered as we all moved towards the inside of the restaurant and were seated.

“So you must be the new boyfriend that keeps Taylor gone a lot,” joked Joe Don.

“I guess I am,” Nick laughed.

“She talks about you a lot at work,” teased Jay.

“I do not,” I blushed.

“Ok so I lied,” Jay laughed. “She’s not really mentioned much about her personal life. Its great to meet you again though.”

“Thanks,” Nick smiled. “Its great meeting ya’ll again too. Its gonna be fun at the Grammys with ya’ll.”

“I so can’t wait,” replied Gary.

******

 

“Ok this is it,” I said as the door opened and Gary and his wife stepped out of the limo.

“You’ll be fine,” reassured Nick. “You look beautiful tonight.”

“Thanks,” I replied as we were the last to step out. As soon as we hit the red carpet and stood next Rascal Flatts and started down the carpet questions flew at us.

“Nick!” yelled a few reporters over and over again.

“Hi Entertainment Tonight can I ask you some questions?” asked a reporter.

“Sure,” Nick shrugged as I stopped next to him next to Rascal Flatts who were talking to the reporter next to us.

“Why are you here with Rascal Flatts?” asked the reporter.

“My girlfriend is their manager and I wanted to come with her,” he replied with a smile. “Sorry but we gotta get inside.” We walked away as the guys ended their interview and walked farther down the red carpet and answered more questions that were thrown at us.

“We’re gonna be the talk of the entertainment shows probably,” I joked as we found our seats.

“I wouldn’t doubt it,” Jay added.

“Thanks,” I laughed.

“No prob,” Jay laughed back.

******

 

“Oo you made best dressed list for the awards babe,” I smiled as I flipped through People Magazine.

“Cool,” he replied as he drove down the road. We were heading to lunch with AJ today. It was the first time I’d meet any of the friends Nick had. I never got to meet them when he started out since we were both so busy and then we lost contact over the years. “AJ seemed excited to finally be able to meet you.”

“That’s great I’ve always wanted to meet him,” I replied. “You always had something to talk about when we talked back then. Usually something about what you did to one of them as a prank.”

“I so remember those pranks too,” he smirked. “I was so good at them. And still am too.”

“I wouldn’t tempt you cause I know you can get someone good,” I replied as he parked and we got out.

“Good cause you don’t know what you might have coming if you did,” he laughed.

“Whatever Mr. Carter,” I smiled as we walked closer to the outdoor restaurant.

“Oh so what’s with the Mr. Carter Ms. Taylor?” he asked.

“Oh nothing I just felt like saying that cause I remember how you used to always get in trouble at school for your pranks and they’d call you Mr. Carter,” I reminded him.

“Oh yeah,” he remembered. “Well how about that one time when I took the wrap for you so you could keep your good girl image.”

“Oh yeah the glue in the teacher’s seat,” I laughed as we saw AJ sitting at a table waiting for us. “After that I swore never to do anything like that again. Thanks for saving my butt then.”

“Hey no prob,” he replied. “But remember this your gonna have to save my butt one of these days. So it’ll all be even then.”

“Deal,” I smiled as we walked up to the table and AJ stood up.

“Hey,” said AJ.

“Hey,” replied Nick. “This is Taylor. Taylor this is AJ.”

“Nice to meet you,” I said as I shook AJ’s hand.

“Nice to meet you finally,” AJ smiled. “I’ve heard so much about you over the years.”

“Oh really,” I replied as we sat down.

“Yeah when we first started out all Nick could talk about was his best friend back at home that he missed,” AJ said as Nick blushed.

“Well I missed him too,” I noted. “But I also had a ton of people to remind me of him around me more then he did.”

“Like who?” asked Nick.

“Like everyone,” I answered. “There was your family for a few years. Then the teachers, especially Mrs. Davis our science teacher. She always would ask about you and where you were.”

“Oh I forgot about her,” he replied. “Just to tell you man Taylor knew everything about me before I left and I knew everything about her. And we had some of the craziest teachers together too.”

“Oh yeah especially that drama teacher,” I laughed.

“Ok seems like you too are going down memory lane again,” AJ broke our laughter.

“Sorry,” I replied.

“Its ok,” AJ responded. “So what brought you back together and here to California?”

“Well I was with the group I manage,” I started. “Rascal Flatts and we went to Vegas for an award show. During the show I ran into Aaron who talked me into meeting up with him and Nick and well after that we just hit it off.”

“Well there was that one part you missed,” noted Nick.

“What part?” asked AJ.

“Oh yeah that part,” I remembered. “As we were in the elevator at the Hilton that night I told him how I felt back when we were kids and then we went from there.”

“Aww how sweet taking off where you left,” said AJ.

“Not really,” replied Nick. “We never told each other how we felt as kids so her telling me was a big step to where we are today.”

“Aww that’s pretty sweet,” AJ responded.

“Yeah I think so,” I said.