- Text Size +

“Thanks for dinner,” I said as I sat at the dinner table in Melissa’s dinning room finishing my dinner.

“Oh it was no problem,” Melissa replied. “We just thought you might want to have dinner with someone since Nick had to stay back in California. Why is he still there? I thought he was coming home with you.”

“I thought so too but apparently the guys wanted to get started on the album a little sooner then expected,” I said. “Things are just crazy lately.”

“How?” asked Jake.

“Well I’m in my first real relationship ever and its with Nick,” I started. “The one man I thought I’d never be with or even see again. Then we have a great few months together. The next thing I know is he’s having to stay in California and I’m having to come home alone to finding out the Rascal Flatts schedule is being changed around. Oh and also come to find out that I’ve only been given one ticket for the upcoming CMT Awards the guys are nominated for.”

“Hey you have us,” replied Melissa. “You don’t have to worry about everything. Come on if you can’t live without Nick what would happen if you actually married him and he was on tour and you couldn’t be with him for some reason?”

“You know I’ve never thought about that,” I said. “I haven’t started thinking about marriage. Right now I’ve just been focused on me and Nick and my career. I’d love to get married one day but right now I don’t see it happening. I mean ok maybe if me and Nick are still this strong next year it would be nice to maybe start talking about it. But really I think right now is too soon to start thinking about it.”

“Yeah but really if you also think about it,” Jake started. “You saying that you miss him means that you truly do love him. I bet he’s the same way right now out there. I bet he’s missing you just as much and wishing he were here with you.”

“You think so?” I asked.

“I know so,” he answered.

“Thanks for cheering me up,” I smiled.

“No prob,” replied Melissa as she got up from the table and we all started towards the living room.

“So how have you both been lately?” I asked.

“Same old same,” answered Jake. “We’ve been the normal type newlyweds.”

“I would hope so,” I laughed. “I wouldn’t hope any problems would be going on this soon in your marriage.”

“Nothing bad has happened so far just all good,” Melissa smiled. “Right babe.”

“Right,” he smiled back.

“So what all good has happened besides getting married and moving into this nice house that I so want?” I chuckled as I asked.

“Oh nothing really,” answered Melissa.

“Nothing,” Jake replied shocked. “How would you say its nothing?”

“What is he talking about?” I asked confused.

“Its not really nothing,” started Melissa. “We just found out and I haven’t really planned on telling people right now since its so early and everything. I’m just scared that something might happen.”

“Nothing is gonna happen,” Jake replied. “And its not that early.”

“Oh my gosh your gonna have a baby?” I asked shocked.

All Melissa could do was look at me with the biggest smile in the world on her face and shake her head yes.

“Oh my gosh,” I screamed as I jumped out of my chair to hug her. “Congratulations. I couldn’t think of any other couple who would be awesome parents then you two.”

“Aww thanks Taylor,” she smiled.

“I’m serious,” I replied. “Your baby is gonna be the cutest. I so can’t wait. When are you due?”

“Well the doctor said September 26th,” she answered.

“So your what like three almost four months along,” I smiled. “Aww.”

“Yeah I guess so,” she replied.

“Oh my gosh I told you,” I started. “You are so lucky Melissa. Look at all you’ve got. And now your gonna have a baby on top of it all. I wish I were you.”

“Aww you’ll get your chance one day,” she responded. “If you stay with Nick your kids will be the cutest ever. I think even more cute then ours.”

“Hey that would be hard to beat look at you both,” I noted. “Your both very beautiful. The thing your baby is gonna get is the smart gene cause you both are too smart for me even though I did go to the same school as both of you.”

“Shut up your smart,” laughed Jake.

“I know its just you two together are gonna have a smart baby,” I said.

“What you don’t think your baby would be smart?” asked Melissa.

“Yeah I do its just I’m not going to have to worry about them being smart when their probably gonna be getting into a ton of trouble,” I answered. “See if I ended up having a baby with Nick then they’d probably be just like him. Or for that matter any guy I’m with when I have a baby.”

“Hey you don’t have to worry about that right now so just don’t think about it,” said Melissa.

“Yeah I know why did you get me started on this?” I asked.

“Hey it wasn’t me who said they weren’t lucky,” Melissa replied.

“True,” I laughed as I looked down at my cell phone to see what time it was. “Oh my gosh its getting late. I gotta be up early tomorrow for work.”

“Yeah I know what you mean,” replied Jake. “I have to be at work by 8.” He was an accountant for a big law firm in Nashville.

“Well I’m gonna head home,” I stood up. “It was great being over and hearing the great news.”

“Well we loved having you here,” Melissa said.

“I’ll see you next weekend to go shopping right?” I asked.

“You bet,” Melissa smiled.

“Ok I’ll see you both later,” I replied. “Bye and congratulations again.”

“Thanks,” they both said at the same time. “Bye.”

******

 

“Man am I tired,” I thought to myself as I shut and locked the door behind me. “I’m so gonna get into my pjs and just relax. Where’s Lucy? Usually when I walk in the door she’s running to greet me. Maybe she’s asleep. Oh well I’ll find her in a few.” I put my purse down on the couch and walked towards my room. As I walked in my room Lucy came running out scared.

“Lucy what’s wrong?” I asked as she started to run and bark louder as if he was barking for help. “Man my walls must be thick cause I never heard her bark. What’s up Lucy?” As I got closer I started to think maybe there is someone in my room. As soon as this thought came to mind I ran into the kitchen and grabbed the frying pan off the stove and went back towards my room. As I walked back to my room Lucy started barking more. “Ok girl its ok I’ve got it under control.” Just then I swung open my bedroom door and turned on the light to see a man standing there with a mask on his face. As I went to hit him on the head with the frying pan he grabbed my hands and twisted them so the pan dropped on me and knocked me out cold. As I laid there with a small amount of blood coming from my head the man picked me up and carried me off out of my apartment and down the stairs and out towards an awaiting car on the backside of the apartment complex. As soon as they placed me knocked out into the back of a black, dark windows SUV they drove off to some unknown place. As the man took me out he grabbed my purse and started to go through it. He saw all my important stuff I needed for work the next day and my phone. I had just gotten pictures from a trip printed so those were found in my purse. They went through everything until they had gone through it all.

******

 

“Where’s Taylor?” asked my boss as they were wanting to start the meeting.

“I haven’t heard from here this morning,” answered his secretary. “Maybe she’s just running late.”

“Yeah maybe,” he replied. “If she’s not here in twenty minutes I’m starting without her. Can you call and see if she’ll answer her cell phone.”

“Sure,” she responded as she found my number to call me. As she called my phone rang in my purse. “There’s no one answering sir.”

“Ok well keep on trying and if she doesn’t call back I’ll just have someone stop by her place later to see if she’s ok,” he told her.

“Ok,” she replied.

“Oh,” he added. “If you can’t get a hold of her in an hour tell me and will keep trying to get a hold of her. She’ll just come in tomorrow and make everything up.”

“Ok I’ll try her more,” she replied.

******

“Still no word from Taylor?” asked my boss as the secretary shook her head no. “Two days in a row that’s just not like her to be like that. Try her house and her cell phone a few times and then we’ll contact her boyfriend to see if he’s heard from her.”

“Do you know who that is?” she asked.

“Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boys,” he answered. “I’ve got teenaged daughters who love them. You can get a hold of him through Jive records out in California.”

“Ok thanks,” she replied as he walked back into the meeting room and she tried to get a hold of me.

About an hour later she still couldn’t get a hold of me so she turned to getting the number for the Jive Records studio out in California. After a few minutes of trying to find the number she found it.

“Hi Jive this is Casey may I help you?” asked the secretary for Jive as she answered the phone.

“Hi yes this is Amy with Lyric Street Records and I’m calling to see if Nick Carter is in today,” answered Amy the secretary for Lyric Street.

“May I ask what the importance is of this call to interrupt our artist from their meeting?” asked Casey.

“I have an important question to ask him about his girlfriend who is a manager here for us,” Amy replied.

“Ok let me see what I can do,” Casey said as she placed the phone on hold and went into the conference room were Nick was. “Excuse me. Mr. Carter you have a call on line 2 they say its pretty important.”

“Did they say who they were?” Nick asked.

“They said they were from Lyric Street Records,” she answered not wanting to tell him it was about his girlfriend.

“Ok thanks,” he replied. “Sorry guys I’ll be just a minute.” He picked up the phone in the corner of the room and pressed line 2. “Hello.”

“Hi,” started Amy. “I’m Amy from Lyric Street Records and I’ve been asked to call and ask if you’ve heard from Taylor today. We’ve been trying to reach her since yesterday and she’s not picking up her cell phone or house phone. We don’t want to frighten you but we’re just wondering if you’ve seen her.”

“No I haven’t seen her since I left last weekend but I did talk to her right when she pulled up to her place late the night before yesterday after a dinner she went to at a friends,” he replied. “Have you checked her apartment for her?”

“No we haven’t we just thought she might be running late or something,” she continued. “But she was suppose to be here yesterday and today but no such luck.”

“That doesn’t seem like her at all,” he said as he thought where she might be. “Have you talked to her friends Melissa and Jake who live there?”

“No I was told to call you first since you’re her boyfriend,” she replied. “Do you have their numbers?”

“Uh,” he started. “Yeah let me just grab my phone.” he placed down the phone and got his cell phone. “Ok Melissa and Jake’s number is 532-5861. You can also try at the country station if you can’t get a live person there.”

“Ok thank,” she thanked him.

“Your welcome,” he replied. “If you hear anything from her please tell her to call me as soon as she can.”

“I will,” she promised. “As soon as I hear anything I’ll let you know if we haven’t gotten a hold of her quicker.”

“Ok great,” he responded. “Thanks. Bye.”

“Bye,” she said as she hung up the phone and started calling Melissa and Jake.

As Nick hung up the phone he turned around to return to the meeting. He was still in shock that Taylor wasn’t at work. She was always there and never was late.

“What’s wrong with you?” asked AJ. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“Taylor’s missing,” Nick whispered.

“What?” asked Brian.

“Taylor’s missing,” he spoke up.

“Oh my gosh,” replied AJ. “How long?”

“Since yesterday,” he responded. “I talked to her the other night right before she went into her apartment and then her work said she never showed up yesterday and then nothing today.”

“I’m so sorry,” replied Howie. “Is there anything you want us to do to help you?”

“I don’t know what to do,” he started. “I’m so confused this kind of thing has never happened to me.”

“Yeah sure we’ll reschedule this meeting for later,” stated Johnny Wright. “Take all the time you need Nick. Just go get her back and safe.”

“Thanks,” he replied. “I think I’m gonna head back to Nashville and find her.”

“We’ll come help,” Kevin spoke up. “That’s if you’d like the help.”

“Thanks,” he smiled for the first time since he got off the phone with Amy. “I was kinda thinking of taking the next flight out there as soon as I get home a get a few things.”

“Sounds fine with us,” replied AJ. “We’ll meet you at the airport in an hour is that good?”

“Yeah,” he shook his head. “I’ll see you then. And guys.”

“Yeah,” they all said at once.

“Thanks,” he turned around and said then walked out.

******

 

“So where do we start first?” asked Brian as we went out of the airport to the awaiting taxis.

“Well its still early and everyone is probably still at work,” started Nick. “Lets go to Lyrics Street and talk to the people there.”

“Ok do you know where it is?” Howie asked.

“Yeah,” he answered as they jumped into a van taxi with all their stuff. “1100 Demonbreun street please.”

“Sure,” said the taxi driver as he drove off.

About half an hour later they arrived in front of the building and got out. With all their stuff.

“Thanks,” said Nick as he paid the driver and headed for the building with the guys right behind him. Once inside he walked right up to the first person he could find. “Hi I’m looking for Rascal Flatts its kinda important and I need to find them.”

“May I ask who you are?” the man asked.

“I’m Nick Carter,” he started. “I’m here looking for them to ask them something about my girlfriend Taylor Adams.”

“Ok let me go get them I’ll be right back,” the man said then walked away to get them. About five minutes later he walked back. “They said to come on into the meeting room.”

“Thanks,” Nick replied as he walked towards the meeting room and walked in with the guys. “Hi sorry to bug you guys but I needed to come and ask about Taylor. I know she’s missing from what some lady told me earlier but I wanna find her. Do you have any information on her?”

“I’m sorry Nick nothing new has happened,” answered Jay. “We’ve been in a meeting for two days straight now and we need her input. We’re hoping she’s ok.”

“Well have you notified the police?” asked Nick.

“Sorry Nick we haven’t,” responded Joe Don. “We thought she would just show up.”

“Have you check her house?” asked Kevin.

“Sorry we haven’t done anything thinking that she might just have accidentally missed just one day and we never really thought anything of it,” Gary spoke up.

“Have you contacted Melissa and Jake?” Nick asked.

“We haven’t gotten a hold of them,” replied Gary.

“I’m gonna call them,” noted Nick as he pulled out his cell phone and started dialing their number.

“Nick hey,” said Melissa as she answered the phone cheerfully. “I’ve been meaning to call you and tell you the good news.”

“Hey,” Nick replied sadly. “What good news?”

“What’s wrong you seem upset?” she asked.

“Taylor’s missing,” he almost cried.

“What?” she replied as her happiness turned into sadness. “When did this happen?”

“Yesterday she didn’t come into work,” he spoke on the verge of crying.

“Don’t cry Nick your gonna make me cry and I’m very emotional right now,” she told him.

“I can’t help it she’s missing Melissa,” he broke down and cried.

“Nick its gonna be alright,” she cried. “Have you contacted the police?”

“No I just got in and the guys at her work were just waiting thinking she’d come in soon,” he answered.

“Well me and Jake will meet you and call the police,” she said. “Where are you right now?”

“Lyrics Street,” he replied

“Ok stay there and we’ll be there in about fifteen minutes or so,” she told him.

“Ok,” he responded as he hung up the phone.

“Its gonna be ok Nick,” Howie spoke up.

“Stop saying its gonna be ok when Taylor’s missing,” Nick cried. “Your not missing your girlfriend. She’s happily at home probably doing nothing. Mine on the other hand is out here in Nashville somewhere missing. You don’t know what has happened to her.”

“Nick stop over reacting your gonna make it worse on yourself,” said Kevin trying to calm Nick down.

“I’m not overreacting I’m just being practical,” he replied. “I just want her to be safe.”

“We all do,” said Brian. “All we can do right now is pray that God keeps her safe and she’ll be home soon.”

“I shouldn’t have left,” Nick started crying again. “If I had stayed maybe she’d still be safe with me. I should have brought her out to California with me. Its all my fault.”

“Nick its not your fault she had a career she loves and she had to stay back here for it,” said AJ. “Nick when I met her besides talking about you two all she could talk about is how she loves her job. This is what she loved so its not your fault she stayed here alone.”

“He’s right she stayed here for work,” noted Jay. “You know the last time I saw her last week she was just so happy. She’s been so much more happy having you in her life. She loves you so much. She wouldn’t blame you for anything. You didn’t do anything wrong neither did she. Its just the way life goes.”

“We know this is real tuff for you right now,” started Gary. “Its hard on us too since she’s like a sister to us. We want her back more then ever.”

“Yeah and even if some of us haven’t met her we’re here because she means so much to you,” said Howie. “Back when we were getting started all you could talk about was how Taylor was the coolest and she was the best ever and how much you liked her. Well its happening again Nick and we don’t want you to loose her. We’re here for you and to help you no matter what. We want happiness for you and for her.”

“Thanks guys,” Nick said.

“Nick!” yelled Melissa as she ran into the room crying and ran straight into Nick‘s arms. “We gotta find her. I can’t lose her she’s my best friend. She was there through all the hard times I went through. She needs to be here now. She can’t be gone she’s got so much to look forward to. She’s got a goddaughter to watch be born and grow up.”

“What?” asked Nick confused. “What goddaughter? I’ve never heard of one.”

“I’m talking about my baby Nick,” cried Melissa as Jake walked in the room. “She’s gonna be my baby’s godmother. I never told her the other night since I hadn’t picked out godparents but we really wanted both of you as godparents for our baby.”

“Nick we need her, this baby needs her, we need to find her,” Jake spoke up. “We can do anything it doesn’t matter how much it cost we just need to find her. She means a lot to both of us.”

“Well I still have a key to her place so I was thinking maybe we should check there first then if there’s nothing there we call the police and inform them about her,” Nick said. “I’m gonna head there you guys stay here. Can I borrow someone’s car?”

“You can uses mine,” answered Jake as he tossed Nick the keys. “It’s my truck not Melissa’s truck out there.”

“Ok thanks,” he replied as he ran out the room and off towards the truck. All that was running though his mind was something happening to Taylor and not being able to see her again.

******

 

“Taylor Adams has been missing since Tuesday,” started the news reporter. “She was last seen at her friends house the night before and was last in contact with her boyfriend. If you know anything about this disappearance we urge you to please contact your local police station. A reward is being offered to anyone with information as to where she may be. There have been many people out looking for her yesterday and still nothing has come up.”

“Its really sad that someone so young and so ready to start a life with her boyfriend could disappear like she has,” spoke one searcher. “Even though we don’t know her personally she does live in my building and so I thought that if this ever happened to me she’d be doing this for me just like I’m doing this for her. I pray that she’s safe and waiting for us to come find her.”

“We’re asking that someone please come forward with this case and please give us any information you have,” cried Taylor’s mom. “This is my baby girl any information will be helpful. Even if you think it might be stupid please help cause anything can help.”

Just as the TV replayed the same interview over and over again we sat in the living room of Melissa and Jake’s house. This was the place we were staying while looking for Taylor. Just as the interview was almost over the phone rang.

“Ok answer now,” said one of the detectives as he monitored the calls.

“Hello,” said Nick as he answered the phone.

“If you want your girlfriend back leave the police home and leave a hundred thousand dollars at the park tonight at 9 and then I’ll drop her off tomorrow,” spoke the man over the phone who had taken Taylor.

“Who are you?” asked Nick as the line went dead.

“He’s calling from a cell phone over near Jackson Street,” the detective said as he looked up at Nick.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading my story. I hope you are enjoying it and please let me know what you think about it.